“Loved It”

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #107 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, I was reading other reviews before we came, and iam glad that I went to see for myself. My lady and I just left this morning and all I can say is it was a wonderful experience ( the city and the Hotel Modern). I understand that you can't please everyone but from my experience it was great. The only thing that was bad is I had to go outside to smoke, but oh well.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,039)

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Pros:
Pet friendly. I think it's a separate building from the main hotel, but we got zero complaints even after leaving her kenneled in the room for a bit.
Clean room. Definitely a no-fuss room with the basics but nevertheless, clean.
Accommodating staff. We arrived in town earlier than expected and they let us do an early check in.
Location. We were able to walk or take the street car wherever we wanted to go!
Price. I wish we realized ahead of time that parking wasn't included, but still an awesome price for what we got.

Cons:
Loud air-conditioner that kicks on every minute/two. We read this on other reviews and it didn't seem like a big deal but it is surprisingly annoying.
Parking. The garage down the street is only 10$/day with the hotel code, but it is a few blocks away. Definitely worth dropping your belongings off and checking in before parking the car.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheC716
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I asked friends and colleagues for a hotel recommendation in New Orleans - near central business district but not in district. I also asked for B&B suggestions. I went with Hotel Modern - which was described as funky but nice with the sweetest parrot in the lobby. I arrived at Hotel Modern and the staff was so helpful and welcoming! I needed some ice for a ice pack (bum knee) and couldn't locate ice machine on my floor. I went down to the lobby, the staff gently chided me to call them next time and they would be happy to bring me ice to my room for pack - that is a called customer service with southern hospitality. They filled my ice pack and I went back to my room. The room was cozy and fitted with thoughtful features - like a bed table that rolls. The location is on Lee Circle and I walked to bars, restaurants, and shops - great option for a traveler that does not have a car. Parking is valet and the valet is responsive and helpful! Now accept that if you are staying in CBD, French Quarter or near either the hotel will charge you at least $30.00 per day for parking and in some cases more. At Hotel Modern, the charge for parking is $29.00 per day - worth it.

I look forward to returning to Hotel Modern when I return to New Orleans for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: Southern hospitality reigns here! Let the staff take care of you!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I'm currently staying at The Modern Hotel, New Orleans. I arrived at 10am to check in however, my problems started prior to check in. I called on the night June 22 and spoke with a young lady, during our talk I stressed the importance of double beds. I made this call because I commonly book through Priceline and that is most times handled that way. Nonetheless the young lady said that she would note that to my account.
I called a few days before to ensure this definite and was told that it couldn't happen. I spoke with front desk manager that reduce the price of the roll out bed. I asked him could he just waive our cancellation fee because it's clear that we could not be accommodated properly. Damion took the income approach rather than the customer service approach. With the changes Damion made, there's a total of 7 ladies stuffed in two rooms for $400 more than originally planned. I'd much rather him cancel free of charge since I was lied to about the double beds during the time of booking......
This has been the worst experience ever with booking through Priceline, which I do very frequently.
Lastly there's this unbearable noise in the restroom, that roars every 90 second. I'm very upset with the customer service here and would not recommend to anyone. These were simple things that could have been handled much better. Nakita head

1  Thank KITAHEAD
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We're not really hotel people, but we won two nights at a charity auction. If you want a sleek, small, "modern" hotel, this is a good choice. They have done a great job with the lobby, restaurant and bar. The service is excellent and authentic; you deal with real people who don't have to stick to a corporate script, so you get all the best of New Orleans friendly spirit. We had some great conversations with Kyle, and Damian and Rick went out of their way to find us a very special tour guide. Our room was less impressive than the lobby. Certainly not terrible, but less "modern" than the rest of the hotel. Maybe some better lighting or new carpeting.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My stay at Hotel Modern was great, we had great service from Damion the front desk manager. He accomodated our requests promptly. It was my first time ever to NOLA and I'd heard great things about it. I have great memories and came home and told my family (which had never been to NOLA) they had to go and experience the wonderful Southern hospitality NOLA has to offer. I was in complete awe of New Orleans and I can't wait to go back! Valet guys and bellman were great and very informative. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay-I don't think I would have had the service I had at a large chain hotel. Hotel Modern is one of the best hotels I've stayed in. I've suggested my co-worker stay at Hotel Modern when he and his girlfriend go to celebrate her birthday.

Room Tip: I booked through Livingsocial, confirm room assignment a few days prior to your scheduled arrival-we...
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We booked this hotel to be near the WWII Museum. It could not have been more convenient. We could easily have walked there. If you go for that reason, park in the lot immediately behind the hotel and walk to the museum. Had we done that, we would have saved the $8 parking fee at the lot beside the museum. We were greeted by name when we checked in, the hotel was nicely furnished and clean. The welcoming rum punch was a nice touch. We ate at the hotel restaurant and were very pleased with the food and the service. Our only complaint, and it is a Big one, is that the a/c is controlled by a motion sensor so that it goes off when there is no movement in the room. We awoke because of the heat. We had to keep getting up and moving around for it to come on.We were told the next morning that they could have overridden that feature but there was no sign in the room and no mention of that at check in. No air conditioning in New Orleans in the summer makes for an uncomfortable night. We suggested that they post a sign in the room to alert guests to this feature. Just be sure to ask the staff at check in to address that issue and you should be happy with your stay. Also, Ms. Scarlet is a wonderful mascot! Public parking is available directly behind the hotel for $20...No need to use the valet for an additional $10...($30 for valet parking and they use the same lot) With the streetcar just outside the hotel, you can get anywhere! Our room was in the adjoining building and was very quiet.

Room Tip: Any room should be great as long as you ask for the air conditioning to be set so it doesn't go...