“First Hotel Modern Experience”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #107 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nashville, Tennessee
“First Hotel Modern Experience”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was a trip to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and the Hotel Modern was fantastic! The convenience of the hotel to so much things was wonderful! The staff was extremely helpful, and Tivoli and Lee was incredible! We ate well, slept well, and enjoyed an amazing hotel! Definitely our new favorite spot in NOLA!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brandon B
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you Brandon for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and that you found a new spot for all Mardi Gras to come.

See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed here the night of the muses parade. I checked in behind three obnoxious college students. Kudos to the young lady at the desk for not spontaneously combusting. I was tempted. This hotel is VERY clean and the beds are comfortable. These are, of course, the most important things in a hotel. They were also well insulated from outside noise - even during Mardi Gras. It is also well situated for business in the CBD. I stay here every Thursday before Mardi Gras.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not handicap accessible if you are not handicapped. The handicap showers ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank arabellafigg
We are glad that you enjoyed Mardi Gras season 2014! We have already started preparations for next year and until June will be offering a 20% discounts on pre-purchases for next season.

We look forward seeing you back at the hotel soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I always read bad reviews and think people are being too picky, but I was so unhappy with the housekeeping at this hotel that I have to write something. We checked in around 11am and our room was ready, which was a welcome surprise. However, first thing I saw upon entering the room were fingerprints made by someone who had makeup on their fingers all over our bathroom wall and door. They also left the socks of the previous guest balled up on the bathroom floor. There was a weird sticky covering all over the dresser in our room. I thought maybe they did a rush job and the attention to detail would get better once they knew new guests were there, but that wasn't the case.

They didn't leave us a robe, lotion, coffee cups or a remote control. They were quick about running those things up to us, but when we finally got a robe it was soiled, like it had been burnt. When we finally got a remote control it barely worked. They only brought us coffee and cups when we asked and they never replaced them. Minibar was always in a state of disarray so we could never partake. When we called the kitchen 15 minutes before it closed they told us it already closed, whoops, too bad. Called front desk and asked for a restaurant recommendation; they said they would bring us menus, but they never did. Went to bed very hungry. I would have eaten from the mini bar except, well, see my earlier statement.

When we checked in the staff was friendly and attentive, so it was such a shame to get up to our room and see the bad state it was in. It also made it a shame that they were so nice to begin with and ignored us completely by the end of the stay.

The good thing about this place is that it's an easy and not too-long walk to the French Quarter, which is nice when you can't catch a cab or streetcar during Carnival.

Loved NOLA but will not stay here when I return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mkproyze
I am disappointing to learn of your experience at the hotel, and appreciate the time you took to share your comments. At your convenience, please contact me directly, I would like to have an opportunity to apologize for the series of service breakdowns and learn more about how we can improve. I can be reached at 504 962 0903.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed here for work in February and had a terrible experience. I'll lead with this gem: I was awoken in the night by someone knocking on my door and saying, "I'm here for the party," before the man opened my door with a hotel key - thank goodness I had the chain across the door. I called down to the front desk immediately and the employee said he would change the cards ASAP, but didn't seem too concerned - like this happens all the time. I saw him in the morning and he acted like this was the first he was hearing about it (same guy, mind you!) and acted nonchalant again. I felt extremely unsafe at this hotel and also noted that you do not need a key to enter the premises after-hours, including the annexed area that I was saying in.

I was also treated to a toilet that continually ran throughout my stay, an empty conditioner container in the shower (shower products are dispensed by containers mounted on the shower wall), and a bottle of clearly used lotion that was not replaced. There also are not curtains on the window so your room is bathed in street light at night, making sleep impossible.

Do not stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Lindsay D
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Lindsay,

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry to learn of your incidents while at the hotel which has cause you not to have enjoyed your stay.

The safety and security of all of our hotel guests is a high priority to us and one that we take very seriously. At your convenience, please contact me at (504) 962 0903; I would like to learn more about your stay.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

As the name suggests, a modern hotel. A little funky with friendly, helpful staff. Restaurant on the ground floor with good food and reasonable prices. Non smoking hotel. Bonus! The rooms are fresh, clean, a little small but functional. Good bed, clean linen and towels with a personal safe, coffee maker and bar fridge. Large bathroom and equipped with all amenities. A pleasure to stay in the hotel and located in the Warehouse district, walking distance to the French quarter, Bourbon St, St Charles Ave street car, bars, bars and some bars. Great place to visit.

Room Tip: They are all probably as good as the each other.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with other travels looking for new "funky" hotels in New Orleans. Come back soon and try a cobbler at Bellocq Lounge.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My experience at the Hotel Modern was the most incredible experience I have had at an Hotel in my life. Damien, who was thr manager of the evening provided superb service. I informed him about my plans to propose to my girlfriend and he immediately provided ideas and items for the event. J.R. was great with valet. He had the car available for by constant movement out of the hotel and assisted me with getting my girlfriend to the room. Andrew made the call for me to get the flowers to the room which she adored. Damien also provided strawberries complementary and kudos should go out to the chef who made them. Overall, this is thr best hotel in New Orleans. Modern as the name states, with exceptional service. Thankz for a great stay and will remain a customer and refer others.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Travito
Congratulations on your engagement! We are thrilled to learn that you had selected us to celebrate such an important day in your lives. We look forward to your new tradition of celebrating anniversaries with us at the hotel, Until then...
Toccoa, Georgia
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Rooms were nice and service was wonderful! Had planned to spend one night, but since the airlines and trains weren't moving for a few days, we ended up staying an extra night. The staff was so accommodating and welcoming. They made suggestions on where to eat and what to do. Plus, they had Lemon Cellos each afternoon for the guests! What a treat!

Room Tip: In the garden district of New Orleans, but easy walk to Bourbon Street. Great service and nice clea...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay. We look forward to you visiting us more often.

Thank you for your review and comments!