“A Wonderful Way to Experience NOLA”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #108 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“A Wonderful Way to Experience NOLA”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I initially found this hotel from Trip Advisor and so for my first NOLA experience The Hotel Modern did not disappoint! Upon arrival I was greeted with a complimentary punch cocktail and a map of the city. My room was bigger than I had expected from the "small" descriptions and was wondering super cozy. Although not downtown, I walked all over the city without a problem. People were friendly and I found the hotel a wonderful mid point between the Garden District and French Quarter. The hotel restaurant Tivoli & Lee had been recommended for their inventive cocktails and tater-tot special. I met a few friends for dinner and cocktails which was superb. I ordered the short ribs and was the envy of the table. After dinner we enjoyed "cobbler" cocktails and great ambiance at Belloq. I will be back to this city and will definitely stay at The Hotel Modern again!

• Stayed February 2014
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you! Thank you! I am glad to learn of your positive experience not only with your hotel stay, but with food at Tivoli & Lee and Cobblers at Bellocq. We truly appreciate you taking the time to let others know what to expect when stepping in to the Hotel Modern. I look forward to you visiting again soon. Please contact us directly next time you plan on visiting New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
Bayshore, NY
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Beautiful from the outside, but horrific on the inside!! No heat in the room in the middle of January and no help from anyone!!! Very difficult to get a room elsewhere since there was a large convention going on. Contacted the Roosevelt (A Waldorf Astoria). They accommodated us immediately!! Did not care that it was pricey, I slept like a baby!! Unless your 18-25, stay elsewhere!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Darlene C
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Darlene,

I am very sorry to learn that your experience at the Hotel Modern was less than desirable. We are very well aware that our eclectic style hotel might not be the best fit for all travelers and especially for those looking for a traditional style hotel such as the Waldorf-Astoria Roosevelt. As for the lack of heat, it is disappointing that we were not able to accommodate on a timely fashion and overcome the service breakdown.

Should you have any questions or further comments, please contact me directly at 504 962 0903.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The hotel modern seems more like a motel at times that hotel. The lobby was nice enough but the front desk staff seemed to disappear later at night. If you try to call the front desk be prepared for no one to answer. My room was stark and drab, the walls void of any adornment. The fire alarm was dangling from a wire off-the-wall, no luggage rack in the room only a closet with no light with a bench inside of it for your luggage. There are no ironing boards or irons in the room which I realized 15 minutes before I was scheduled to leave as I needed to iron my shirt before walking out the door for the evening.

A plus was the bathroom had a large vanity counter. The shower had shampoo, conditioner and body wash bolted to the wall, Sadly I was taking a shower before I realized the shampoo and body wash was completely empty. The bedding had rips and holes in it. There are no do not disturb signs in the hotel, several people on my floor all made our own do not disturb signs even so that didn't stop the maids from banging on the door well before checkout time. Something about this hotel almost feels like an inside joke with the owners or management calling it Hotel Modern, at times it seemed more like a nice youth hostel. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CalP0ly
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel Modern. By reading your comments, I understand that you experienced a series of service breakdowns that are unacceptable and I apologize for not responding to these while you were with us.

I would like to have an opportunity to discuss your visit more in detail and learn how I can assist you further. At your convenience, please contact me at 504 962 0903.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I went in July 2013 here and it's become my go to for New Orleans downtown hotels (besides the Hyatt) when I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

First, they were doing some renovations last time I was here and there was some pretty rowdy guests that showed up at 2AM. The Security Office came put the smack down on them, so it really wasn't a problem after that.

Bed was comfortable but room was pretty small. It honestly wasn't bad considering I paid $100. It's about exactly what I expected.

Only reason they got 4/5 was that dang aggravating parrot I wanted to shoot everytime I visited the lobby. The thing would not shut up and literally irritated everyone trying to talk to the reservation rep.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Robert J
Robert,

Thank you for your review and comments regarding your visit in July 2013. I am sorry that Miss Scarlett was a bit rowdy, but I hope that it does not stop you from visiting us again soon.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent one night at The Hotel Modern this past weekend for a night out in the city with friends. Once again, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay from check-in to check-out. The staff was friendly, the beds are some of the most comfortable beds I've slept in, and our short stay in the city was topped off with Sunday morning brunch at Tivoli & Lee which included king cake bread pudding for dessert. Yum!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kelsey D
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 18, 2014

they put a pending charge double the amount of the total room charges on my credit card besides that it was clearly arranged that a authorized company credit card should have been charged. This happened besides confirmation from the front desk that they only need my card for policy reasons. And why double the amount? Is that even legal? Besides that 1)restaurant food is bad and they don't even get fruit (comes with skin), yogurt (traces of savory taste in there) and granola right.... 2)room cleaning is not thorough and completely skipped my room the second day, no pens, no cups for the coffee machine 3) sheets always had heaps of hair and even stains, 4) you call for a cap beforehand and still have to wait 10 minutes, or even 20minutes as I had to this morning. 5)had to change room cause the heater wasn't working on a super cold night, that was my first night, I just checked in, it was late and all I wanted was sleep, instead I needed to wait around for the electrician who I then had to watch working on it for 20minutes and then I got moved another room another 10minutes later. finally after 1 hour I could go to bed 6)its actually quite a walk till the french quarter and such, a cap is around $10 -15 and you do a lot of walking in the quarter itself.... 7)people spitting from the balcony to the arranged seating area in the back 8) the fan in the room is very very very loud and I can totally see how people have a bad night sleep by that thing.... to sum it up, staff is nice and they try but it seems that nothing really works and i don't think that I just had a bad run with them in 2 days .... honestly, just go somewhere else... you'll be more happy there

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Susann B
Dear Susan,

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel Modern. By readying your notes, I have a clear understanding of several service breakdowns you experienced. It is unfortunate that you did not get to experience and enjoy our services and that the location was not what you wanted out of your visit to New Orleans.

Should you have further comments, you can reach me directly at 504 962 0903.
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The entryway to the hotel was a great start, very stylish and hip decor, I loved the lobby! Our room was a disappointment, it just felt empty. Our room was actually quite spacious, unlike our friends who claimed theirs was pretty small. TMI: When we got into our room for the first time, I had to use the bathroom really bad, but there was absolutely NO toilet paper so we called and the guy on the other end said he would get someone up there right away! 30 minutes later, we ending up calling back, this time a woman on the phone and she said the same thing except this time it was true. This was not a good start to me service wise. WEIRD FACT: our snack drawer had a small box which was a sex box! I have never seen that before.... so maybe not a family type hotel. The bed looked nice until my husband accidentally pulled back all the covers on the bed and revealed a large brownish reddish grossish looking stain on the mattress topper. The reason this was revealed so easily is because the bed had NO MATTRESS COVER. It was just a regular sheet and then another regular sheet on top of that! It was disgusting. The shower products were nice but they used large bottles that were attached to the shower and had a small pump to get shampoo, conditioner and body wash but EVERYTHING was empty except for the conditioner. They had one small lotion bottle that was more individualized. This hotel was in a good location being right beside magazine street and the trolley goes right beside the hotel. Service was awful.. Not only did we get woken up at 5AM the first night by the modern fire alarm (which was really creepy especially when you are woken up from a deep sleep and everything is all blurry at first because its this slightly computerized voice telling you to evacuate and then this zombie movie type alarm behind it), to then to find out from one of the workers that it was THEIR computer that tripped the alarm and not a teenager like you had imagined. When we were checking in the girl behind the desk said that there would be someone there to answer phone calls 24/7, that was absolutely not true, we tried calling multiple times to have no one answer. The only time it was bothersome was when we were trying check out at 630AM. We ended up having to call the hotel right before we left the state to check out because there was NO ONE in sight in the lobby, also at this time, there were some important looking keys attached to a wristlet that looked like they might have been important for someone like a manager just lying on the front counter... again, no one in sight. The only thing we liked about this hotel was the restaurant and 2 bars. The staff, service, food and drinks were very on point. I think one of the bar tenders in the main hotel part was Ashley? Anyway, she was so cute and gave us such a great service. I wish I could do a 5 star review for these 2 areas because they were the only good things about this place. I would not likely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends