“They were ok” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“They were ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

the night staff was very weird and lacked communication skills. Be prepared to pay $50 hold for accidentals. Overall, very nice hotel the room was very clean and nice. I only stayed there for a couple of hours so I didn't get the full experience. But I accomplished what I went there for...sleeping for a couple of hours until check-in for my other hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Britney C
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback and comments. I hope that next time you are able to stay a little longer and fully enjoy the hotel. Until next time, be well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Indonesian first
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just completed a two night stay at The Hotel Modern. It's very nicely done. The beds are comfy and the staff is excellent. The hotel is located with easy access to the St. Charles street car line, and is near CBD and Warehouse District, not a far drive to the French Quarter or Garden District. The rooms are on the smaller side, but are well designed and comfortable. Baths are large. Great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jami S
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and your recent visit. We hope you make the Hotel Modern your new home in New Orleans. Visit us again soon!
La Junta, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel was in a great location and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Staying at The Hotel Modern was a unique experience for me. I especially enjoyed the parrot that greets the guests. In addition, I was grateful that this hotel allowed me to bring my dog along. There is a lot of grass in the vicinity as well as dog friendly restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lisa C
We are glad that you were able to bring your dog along on your trip to New Orleans. Did you take any pictures with Ms. Scarlett? We look forward to your next visit.
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by the friendly doorman. As we walked into the hotel we were confused about where to check-in. There was a young guy standing by a desk but he completely ignored us. I wasn't sure he worked there. I asked him where we could check-in and he replied "right here, why?" It took me about 2 seconds to realize he was high out of his mind. He would just stare and ask me to repeat everything. I had to ask him if he was ok. He seemed really paranoid. Then he started ranting incoherently about other guests and the air conditioning and then asked us if we wanted to see his pet bird. It was about 10:30pm and we just wanted to check in. Not surprisingly, he could not find our reservation made through A travel website. About 15 mins later a young woman came out from the back and said they found it and we were all set. Only to find out that after we checked out the next day, they charged my credit card. The room was nice and the decor was pretty cool and unique. It could be a great hotel with the right staff. To be fair, some of the staff we encountered seemed friendly and competent. There are obviously a few bad apples which can ruin whole experience.

7 Thank StandingByZed
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We are terribly sorry to learn that your arrival at the hotel was not as smooth as it should, and I appreciate your comments and feedback about our staff.

I hope that this experience does not discourage you from returning to the hotel and give us another chance. Please contact me directly at 504-962-0903 in order to obtain your information and discuss opportunities for you to enjoy another trip to New Orleans.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We check in on a Saturday even upon first looks the hotel was very nice with the most friendly staff. The first room they gave us was on the second floor with a view of a brick wall less then two feet away. We immediately ask for another room where we could have some type of view. The staff was very nice about get our room changed; they moved us to the tenth floor. After getting settled in we grabbed a bite to eat before heading out to see the sights. We can back to the room @ 3 am to find our room filled with ants. The overnight staff ask if we could wait outside the room for a hour til they could kill all the ants! We demand a another room(3 rooms less then 10 hour) just to find the new room sheet were dirty and trash still under the bed from previous guest. So we call the front desk yet again and asked to new sheets so we could do their job for them...the location is right on the Street cart route which take you right to Bourbon Street...the self parking is 2 1/2 blocks away which is ok because once you park you really didn't need it again if you are planning to spend your time in the French Quarter..

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank ManGeorgia
Thank you for your comments and feedback about your stay. We are sorry to learn that you experienced some difficulties while visiting the Hotel Modern.

I would like to learn more about your experience and find ways to remedy the situation. At your convenience, please contact me directly at 504-962-0903.
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My job was taking me to New Orleans for two weeks, so was looking for something that was going to feel like home, as it was not a one or two night stay. Heard good things about The Modern, in another city from a friend and decided to give it a try. Very glad I did. Check in was interesting as there is no front desk like you are used to. Very efficient, friendly staff starting with the valet, all the way through the bellman and frontdesk staff. Nice bar and good food in the restaurant. Make sure you get one of the medium or bigger rooms as the smalls appear to be quite small. Very clean, rooms and nicely appointed. Close to the Superdome, Convention Center and the Quarter.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Graeme L
Thank you for sharing with other travelers your experience at The Hotel Modern. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will have you retuning soon.

Please remember to contact us directly next time you plan on visiting New Orleans, and inquire about our repeat guest discount program, for a chance to save 25% off your next stay.
Topeka, KS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I was very excited about this Hotel, as we were taking a Deep South road trip to celebrate our anniversary, and I made NOLA the centerpiece. I emailed and phoned the hotel to let them know such. Upon our arrival, Archi the valet was very helpful, and Nick at the "front desk" was kind as well. The ice water, the "punch" in the evenings, and "Scarlett" the bird were nice, but cute doesn't make a good hotel. The Modern purports to be a "boutique" hotel, and I know what a good "boutique" hotel does (such as The Hotel Lincoln in Chicago and The Argonaut in San Francisco), and this place does not do it at all. While the staff was friendly, they offered little advice on where to go and what to do, and even had no knowledge of the well-known bars and restaurants I mentioned to them, and I was offered no upgrades or additional amenities for our anniversary, as we have experienced at other high-end hotels.

Now, here is the rest of the story:
--No ice machines. If you want ice, you call down and the staff will bring you ice (for which you should tip)
--No refrigerator, so as the staff advised, you can empty the honor bar and put your stuff in there.
--No coffee. Cute story----There's a Keurig with two containers of decaf and two containers of tea. I checked with the staff and was told they had no regular coffee. The next morning, a lovely young lady obviously used to complaints from guests, explained that there was no way to get any coffee, but she could get me some coffee from the restaurant. When asked why they couldn't just go get some coffee at a store, she explained (in perfect Customer Service 101) that they needed a purchase order, and yadda, yadda. Good Heavens, they couldn't go to Walgreen's and get some coffee? No. She told me she would let the management know. I never heard from them. I gave up and decided to have the decaf, and the Keurig didn't work. The staff said "The Keurig didn't work?" I gave up completely on coffee in our room.
--Close to nothing. You need to take the streetcar and make some stops to get to the French Market. The streetcar stop is across the Lee Circle where you get to pass the guys drinking out of brown paper bags in the morning and the evening, and well, any time. Even the staff couldn't agree on where to catch the streetcar, one said to catch it on St. Charles, and one said to catch it on Howard. If you decide to stay here (and you should not!), avoid the Howard stop, as you will walk about 50 yards in the grass median.
--The double room was small, even by NYC standards. The bathroom was tiny and had no fan, so the mirror took a long time to de-fog.
--Our view of Lee Circle from the 9th floor was nice, if you want to stand up, since the windows are so high you can't see it from the chair or the beds. Also, you get to see the brown-bag guys early in the morning!
--The beds were low and not that comfortable.
--Other than the one in the hotel, and The Circle Bar across the block, here are no restaurants or bars close to the hotel.
--Stains on the wall above the bed (hoping it was soda or some other kind of drink).

I chose this hotel because we enjoy different types of lodgings, but we are used to quality. The dismal management should be ashamed for allowing what could have been a delightful experience to be the one unpleasant part of our visit to the Big Easy.

No. I am not an old fart who doesn't appreciate "quirky and hip" hotels. I don't appreciate poor management and poor value.

Do your research, and spend double or triple to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.