“A Perfect Getaway”

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #106 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Found this gem on Hotel Tonight. The check-in is a little quirky (in a good way) there's no "front desk". Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was seamless. Had a room on 10 th floor; very quiet and felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. Perfect location on St. Charles Ave at Lee Circle. Walked across the street to get the Street Car to the Quarter or to take a scenic trip up St. Charles. Also had convenience store a block away. Could not beat the price for what it delivered! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2013
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. We are glad that locals enjoy the hotel and its location. Please come back and visit Tivoli & Lee for some Andouille tots and Bellocq for a Cobbler or two.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at The Hotel Modern from June 2nd thru June 5th... We were on the 9th floor, very quiet and convenient location - walked right across the street to catch the street car! I could not imagine staying at one of the hotels "downtown" with all the noise... Very helpful at the front desk on where to go and things to see.... If we ever get the opportunity to visit NOLA again this would be our hotel of choice!

Room Tip: Some complaints were noise which we had NONE on the 9th floor and we were RIGHT across from the elev...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia C

We are happy happy happy as well that you had a great time while at the hotel. There is always a good reason or excuse to visit New Orleans, and we expect to see you back soon.

Contact us directly next time you make plans to come to the hotel, and inquire about our repeat guest discount program.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The price and area was perfect for us! My husband and I like to walk around a city to explore and it was a great starting point. The check-in process is a little weird and its not going to appeal to everyone because it is so modern. It can be too modern for good customer service. Small rooms are like those on a cruise ship. In all we had a great stay and I will recommend this place to any couple visiting NOLA.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay at the hotel. We look forward to having you back soon.

Until then…

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Modern over Christmas 2012. It is perfectly situated between the Garden District and Downtown/French Quarter. My boyfriend and I love walking, so it was a great base for us. There is a grocery store nearby, and mini-fridges in the rooms. The boutique hotel idea is great; I wasn't bothered by no front desk (and I love the resident parrot!). The room was comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. If you like cocktails, make sure to visit the bar downstairs! The hotel is pet friendly, and we had a minor issue with a barking dog left in a room across from us, but the staff took care of it right away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the elevator and laundry chutes for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kameri846
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I would like to take this time to acknowledge a housman who went above and beyond to give me A1 quality service during my stay. His name was Andre Skeleton. I asked him his name to write this review so I hope he doesn't think he's in trouble. But I must say that was the best and I will be returning!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our first stay but definetly not our last. The quirkiness of the 'boutique' was a plus to us. No front desk was not a problem and the free refreshment(choice of alcohalic or non) after a day of travel was certainly an unexpected pleasure. Although there were MINOR problems with the a shade not working (I repaired), the bedding was a euro-fashion " mattress on a box frame that was moderately uncomfortable and difficult for an arthritic person to rise from due to the heighth being too low (and it was the second hotel stay this trip where a pet had not been able to hold their water in the elevator-not the hotels fault, but.....). The front "desk clerks?' were helpful as were the valets. They were prompt to bring ironing eqpt. and towels and helpful advice. Travel by trolley was enjoyable and laid back experience (about 10 minutes to the fr. qtr. and 15 minutes to the end of the Garden District). Cheap parking nearby with the code supplied by the hotel. Attached restaurant and the bar are both acceptable but not distinguishing.

Room Tip: Upper floors provide better views and less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here recently during Memorial Day, got in very late after delayed flights and was greeted by the most unconcerned hostess ever! She had an attitude saying she was new and clearly didn't know how to work the credit card machine. They really do disappear with your cc which is a little unnerving but I was advised they are in the process of revamping this check in type. Got a small room which is perfect, not small at all- its a hotel, not a mansion. My comforter had cigarette burns and the wall wasn't clean but besides that the room was very clean and pretty. My light had burned out and housekeeping took care of it right away. The bathroom had no vent so I had to use my suit case as a door stopper to get the steam out. I even got a knock from hospitality asking if I needed anything in the middle of the day. Bypass the minibar and go to the gas station across the street, overall it was nice but I doubt I'd stay here again.

Ps if you use valet, be prepared to wait a good while before you get your car. And prepare yourself for the attitude you may get.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends