The Hotel Modern
Preferred Hotels
$240
$229
  • Restaurant
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$318
$296
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$229
  • Breakfast included
$233
$208
$371
$299
  • Pool
Holiday Inn New Orleans - Chateau Lemoyne(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$286
$247
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Courtyard New Orleans French Quarter/Iberville(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$407
$369
  • Bar/Lounge
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$259
Omni Hotels
  • Pool
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$240
  • Breakfast included
1,053 results
All reviewslee circlewwii museumfrench quartergarden districtrooms are smallstreetcar stopstreet car lineconvention centermardi grasbed was very comfortablevalet parkingcanal stbourbon streetfew blocksnolatrolleyww2
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed during the Mardi Party, the hotel was modern and clean. The location is excellent (close to great sites and foodie hotspots), the staff was great but they need more staff to help guest check-in and check out.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Lipearls,

Thank you for your review and comments. If you made it to our parade viewing stands, check out the pictures we have posted on Facebook.

Mardi Gras 2013 was a fantastic time for New Orleans and the Hotel Modern and we are glad that you enjoyed yourself. Don’t wait too long to make reservations for 2014, we are offering an early bird rate promotion with a great discount for Mardi Gras 2014; contact us directly for more information.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The modern isn't what you think of when you dream of New Orleans. Its not a French style hotel that was built hundreds of years ago. The hotel looks like it could be a Miami deco hotel, but it lacks any of that tacky Miami vibe. For me and my girlfriend, the hotel was perfectly located in between the main drag of St. Charles and the garden district and the French Quarter. There isn't a lively scene directly around the hotel, but its center location for the city was perfect for us. We really liked the choice of toiletries, and minibar goodies, quite creative, unlike the interior design of the rooms. The Vietnamese restaurant on the ground floor is amazing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin M

Kevin,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon and try out our new Southern Bistro, Tivoli & Lee which we are launching today featuring a mouthwatering Lamb burger.

Thank you again for your fantastic comments and review.

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel apparently is hosting every band, crew member, and driver for the Buku Music Festival, and seem to be totally clueless. Several drivers, all of whom had driven several hundred miles, were left hanging in the lobby for up to four hours, although when advance calls were placed, assurances were made that rooms were ready and available. The hotel itself is very artsy and cutting-edge design wise. It's too bad the staff is not up to the job.

• Stayed: March 2013

FSTegall,

I am sorry that you did not find our service to match the look of the property. I would like to learn more about your experience and challenges that would help us improve.

At your convenience, please contact me at (504) 962-0903 or Miguel@thehotelmodern.com

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place is quirky. I think it fits with the vibe of New Orleans and especially the immediately surrounding area (the Contemporary Art Center and Museum of Southern Art are around the corner and several modern art galleries/studios are within a very short walk). There is a parrot in the lobby, which I found charming.

The decor is quirky. If heavy, classic furniture is your standard for quality, you will be unhappy here. I like the modern/eclectic thing, so I was find. The bed was very comfortable. I was here on business and putting in 14 hour days, so I probably could have slept just fine on the floor, but I slept like a champ. The walls are a bit thin, I could hear water running through pipes in the walls, I could hear people talking in their rooms as I walked down the hall. However, this isn't out of line with most chain hotels I stay in.

The check-in procedure is quirky. I get keeping the lobby more like a sitting room (I'm enjoying sitting here right now, cozy and comfy), but perhaps some sort of mobile solution (tablet-based?) would allow a bit more efficiency (and avoids discomfort when staff run off with your ID and credit card). The tablet can be stowed away easily, keeping the desk clear, and still aligns with a "modern" vibe.

I found the staff very polite and knowledgeable and waiting a few minutes for them to do their thing wasn't a big deal to me personally. The chairs are comfortable, the water is cold, there is art around, there's a pretty bird. Just relax.

If you're the type who tends toward cognitive dissonance, this place isn't for you. If you embrace the opportunity to be in a space that is different, you'll enjoy staying here very much.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Melissa N

Dear Melissa,

We are quirky indeed! Thank you for your review and comments about your most recent stay at the Hotel Modern. Scarlett the parrot is flattered that you found her charming, and is wondering if you took any pictures of her.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you back soon, and when you decide to return, contact us for our repeat guest discount program.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Suspect the best way to describe a stay at The Modern was stated by another couple in the lobby---This is the like a Saturday Night Live skit! And I would offer this was not meant in a positive way.
Where to begin---
Hotel is located adjacent to an abandoned gas station
Panhandlers typically hang out in the circle
There is no front desk---so a staff member 'disappears' wtih your credit card for a prolonged period as part of the check in process
The staff is inexperienced and immature. Arrived in the morning AFTER calling en route and had to wonder around the lobby calling 'is anybody home' before a person appeared
City has stated that one shouldn't drink the water BUT you have to go to the desk and ASK for bottled water and then the staff tells you---'well, I brushed my teeth with city water this morning and I feel ok'
Recommend finding another place to stay in New Orleans

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 50207AmyM
TheHotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Amy,
Thank you for taking the time to report your experience at the Hotel Modern. While we understand that the hotel concept is different, we appreciate our guest feedback and take great consideration of the comments for improvement purposes.

We wish that you would have contact any of the managers to share your concerns while on property and allow us the opportunity to find alternative solutions for you.

The City of New Orleans experienced the embarrassing circumstance on Sunday morning of losing water pressure and ordering a boil-water advisory. At the hotel, we responded immediately, communicated to all guests, and offered bottle water. The water situation was not isolated to the Hotel Modern, it was city-wide.

We apologize for the mishaps and would invite you to contact us with further information about your stay.