“Above expectations”

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #105 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had read several previous reviews so I was concerned but our stay was above average. There were plenty of people at the front desk checking in and out. The first room we stayed in was quite smoky so we asked to move to another room and they accommodated nicely- no questions asked. The hotel recently switched to non-smoking but the room still smelled like smokers. The bed was comfortable, the TV was large and working, no issues with AC. The bathroom was large and the shower had plenty of water pressure (pet peeve). I did not have issues with noise but I always use earplugs in hotels. We had drinks at both bars- tamarind and belloq- bartenders at tamarind were friendly and having fun. Belloq was a little slow with service but the drinks were unique. Walking around is not a problem- well lit areas. The only concern is self-parking- the lot is not that close and while the ticket says no in and out, that is not the case. Also lot is closer to the more run down part of town- probably better to not walk alone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2012

we checked in with 2 couples, the rooms are small but well designed, the location is great, very quiet but actually walking distance to the french quarter and minimarket and restaurants nearby.

the inroom aircons are running on motioncontrols, that means if we slept very quiet they stop operating and the rooms get really hot and when the aircons start all over its noisy like having a truck under your bed.

the service guys are very lovely but really untrained, we look at a 200$ p night place!!!

we decided to check out a day earlier as my friend who is recovering from a stroke could not stand the nasty aircon situation for another night and wanted to go home, it took us hours to sort that out and we were we told the responsible manager will give us a call shortly around 5 x.
finally they agreed and we checked out the next morning, it took around 15 minutes!!! for a guy to store our luggage for short time and no one was able to clear our minibar bill as they needed to wait for the housekeeping to check it later, it was 9 am already and we were promised to get a email about it before they charge it to our creditcard, thats 3 days ago and we still haven't got anything.

You guys surely have to improve in servece, I'm better taken care of in any 60$ motel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here because of an offer that sounded good on Travelzoo. I had high expectations but was very disappointed.
The breakfast that came with it was only bread juice and coffee. BUT they did not have coffee. Changing machines. I pressed and the found some.

The place was too foofoo for me. Others in the restaurant were not happy either.

I travel at least 35 weeks a year and you can bet this over priced and under serviced hotel won't be visited by me again

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Modern in late September. My room was perfect. I arrived late on Saturday nite. Ordered a room service meal. Just a burger but it was delicious.
Sunday evening when I arrived back at the hotel I wanted to watch the Emmy's. TV was on the blink,. Technician came to see if he could assist. COuld not. Within minutes the nite manager appeared to assist me in moving to an new room that not only had a working TV but the room was also LARGER!
Each day when arriving back we were welcomed with a wonderful punch....and the coffee in the AM wasnt bad either.

I cant say enough for the staff. They were informative and anxious to assist me in getting around the city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is in an interesting location. Not in the quarter, but close enough to walk (at least during the day), and right near several museums. And, the hotel has bikes available for use, and we put them to good use, cycling all around town. Scarlett the parrot is a nice touch and she will happily hang out on your shoulder. The primary problem with this hotel -- and the reason I likely will never return -- is that it is noisy. The hotel needs to do some serious soundproofing. Bar noise some nights, noise from other guests other nights, and street noise as well. I can't even imagine how noisy it must be when the street car is running. I'm a sound sleeper and am use to sirens, car horns, etc but I lost sleep in this room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChicagoPair
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I really wanted to like this hotel. On the oposite end of the CBD from, but a short walk to the French Quarter. The Hotel Modern has the feel of a small boutique property with an attractive exterior, small reception, fun bar,decent restaurant and comfortable beds. We had called ahead and told the staff we would be arriving after 1 am due to flight. We stayed on the third floor in the low rise medium room above the bar which closes at 1 am. Bar was still going loudly at 1:45 when we tried to go to sleep. I asked to be moved to another room the next morning and was told they would call us when the different room was ready or if they could not accommodate our request. Which is fair until they don't call informing us one way or another. Bar was quiet the next four nights. What I had not realized was the bar noise masked all the other sounds of a normally functioning hotel. This place has no soundproofing! Other quests walking by our room sounded like they were in our room. The pre teens running at 3:30 am the next two nights sounded like I was buried alive under a indoor track. Thankfully the St. Charles streetcar line was under construction during our stay. Our flight home was a brutal pre dawn Monday ritual, gotta work to play. We asked for a 5 am taxi to the airport. No idea wether hotel forgot or requested taxi just did not show but was the third strike. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

After they renege on waiving any minimum night stay (we called 2x and were told there was no problem only staying one night) I now have to pay for multiple nights in this crummy hotel where the cable TV service is out and the walls are paper thin. I can hear every word in the adjoining rooms and I swear the people walking down the hallway sound like they're actually in my room. I'm glad I'll only be here one night and I would never stay here again.

I'd suggest you look elsewhere for a room in New Orleans. There must be a lot of great rooms in more reputable hotels available.

Room Tip: A good room would be one in another hotel.