“Clothing Stolen from Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #105 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Georgia
“Clothing Stolen from Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here last month and had a belt stolen by housekeeping. I reported it and the manager never responded. I also called and left a mesage and did not receive a call back. I guess they don't care if they have a satisfied customer.

Stayed September 2012
1 Thank TravelboundGeorgia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Indonesian first
Jackson Miss.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here with wife and two kids. Last minute trip and found the hotel on line. Most everything else was full, or had ridiculously high rates due to music festival and football.

Hotel is convenient. Its in the Lee Circle, by the Robert E Lee statue, on St Charles and next to streetcar line. Rooms are small, but adequate, clean,neat. Fresh fun colors. (our room was purple and green)

I give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JacksonGuy
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We traveled to New Orleans to attend the Tulane/Ole Miss game. The Hotel Modern was a great place for us! The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. My husband and I travel with our dog quite regularly and this hotel was very pet-friendly. The location was even convient for walking her. We did take taxis as it seemed that the trolly was not running. Most of our cab fares were $10-$15. We hated that we could not arrange a late checkout so we could visit the World War II Museum, but it will give us another excuse to come back!

Room Tip: The small room is just that! SMALL! It was perfect for us, but you would not want to be two heavy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DEN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Hotel Modern is a good hotel. My friend and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend and were pleased with the accommodations. The rooms are a little dark, and there isn't much counter space for two gals and all their products. But for the most part the room was fine, relatively large for a New Orleans room, and very clean.

In the morning they have a very light continental breakfast consisting of pastries, coffee, and juice. The upside is that they serve good coffee, a bit of an anomaly for a hotel. Water and wine are also usually available at the front desk.

The staff at the hotel is also quite friendly and they are pleased to have your business and it shows. Apparently you can have pets at this hotel. I did not have any, but a gentleman I met at continental breakfast told me he stays at The Hotel Modern once a month and loves it because they are very pet friendly and he can bring his dog with him.

On the downside this hotel is about a 15 block walk to the French Quarter. At night you'll want to take a cab back and it's about $10 with tip. There is also no pool or hot tub which is a bit of a bummer when on vacation. And our room overlooked the courtyard which is a bar with music in the evening. It's pretty loud, but I'm sure it can be avoided if you ask for a quiet room.

I'd stay here again if the price were right. My preference would be a hotel closer to the Quarter with a pool. But if I were on business, or in town for a convention or football game The Hotel Modern would be a good choice.

Room Tip: Find something a good distance from the courtyard if you want a peaceful nights rest.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mount Juliet
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here several days in September for a wedding I was attending. The location is absolutely PERFECT. tyou can get anywhere in the city from this location Easy access to St. Charles, Hwy 90, or Simon Bolivar to go Uptown.

The staff are all very friendly and patient. The Valet's are great and know all the good places to go and see in the city. The hotel itself is fresh, vibrant, and appealing. The entire facility is very clean and well decorated. It's definitely made to make you feel at home. It works.

The only thing that kept me from giving this place 5 stars was the room. I had a couple issues with this. First was the size.. Yes they are small. right? Well, I reserved a large room... My friends also reserved a large room. Their room was large, mine was not. Look at the pictures on the Modern's website. See the picture of a medium room? That was my room. They said that it actually has the sq. footage to make it a large, but I aint buying it. If that room was a large, then they need to up the threshold that makes a room a "large".
The other issue I had was with the thermostat. The T-stat in my room (and many others there) was motion activated. Ok... So I set it on 68, nice and cool. Guess what I do at night? I lay there and sleep. Guess what the T-stat does? Not a cotton pickin thing!!!!! Think waving your arms and legs like a drowning victim will help? Not a chance! You have to get out of bed and wave your hand in front of the stupid thing for the air to kick back on. Repeat ad nauseam. Your best bet to to set it as low as it can go (65) then let it ru ntil it kicks off and then you'll only have to get out of bed sweating like a Tour de France cyclist 4 times a night instead of 5. You're welcome.

Room Tip: Go Large or go home.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

To start off with the sign in front to to small to see from traffic in Lee circle. I had to go around twice. The attendant sent me to the wrong room and I had two make sure my valet wasn't charged to the wrong person. There are no vending machines you either have to walk across the the street to a gas station or pay 5 dollars for a canned soda from the mini bar. Even though there are signs that say vending machine, I called the front desk and confirmed that there wasn't before taking a soda from the mini bar. Once we got the bill we were overcharged for the room by $76 and were charged for several things taken from the mini bar that we didn't take.
On the surface it is a very nice hotel and but the staff is very unorganized and the concierge reeked of alcohol while on duty. There isn't even a computer at the front desk that I could see to manage the operations of the hotel.
The rooms are small but the beds are amazing! The bed was probably the best part of our stay despite the lack of sleep from the blaring music in the bar downstairs and the doors that slam. I know that it is New Orleans, and that people are up at all hours of the night but the hotel should add those hydraulic things that slow down the doors.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Cwren9
Shreveport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The employees were very friendly and helpful. I chose this hotel because it is within walking distance to the Superdome for a Saints game. It is a convenient choice for a Saints game. But I did like this hotel itself. The hotel was clean but the rooms are very small. The building lay out is strange with dark lighting. The hotel theme “Modern” is taken a little to the extreme, by leaving out some conveniences that is a given with other hotels, like an ice machine and vending machine. You have to call front desk and ask for a bucket of ice and there is no vending area.

There was a domestic disturbance in the room next to ours. A couple was arguing and slamming the door that kept waking me up. Very thin walls.

While the hotel is clean, moderately priced, and has modern furniture my overall impression was lukewarm. I won’t make reservations here in the future. Not really a family orientated hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family