“european feel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Worth, Texas
“european feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is within 11/2 blocks of the WW11 museum and the Modern art Museum. The hotel has a european feel. The resturant is very good with some nice different dishes for breakfast and dinner. The valet parking is costly $40.00 per night. However there is a parking lot behind the hotel. Check rates carefully we received vastly differnt quotes for each of the couples booking rooms. The hotel agreed to give all the lowest rate. Our cost was $150 per night. There are no other resturants close, however the St. Charles trolly has stops within 1 block .Good location to tour the WW11 museum,but not near other toutist sites. The hotel has a indivualist feel not a "chain" Overall service was very good. Dinner will cost $90 or more per couple

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking Lee Circle and watch the trolly and traffic
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank larry h
HotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear guest,
We appreciate your nice comments on our food at Tamarind, the general feel of the hotel, and our service. I hope everyone in your party had a great time while staying with us.
As you mentioned, the St. Charles Street Car is truly a convenience. The hotel is located in the Arts District, 8 blocks away from other attractions such as The French Quarter. Our guests have the option of a nice walk through St. Charles Avenue, or a fun ride on the street car, to get to their destination.

We look forrward to your next visit,

Magda Chappetta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Indonesian first
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

I am a business traveler that basically spends the vast majority of my time on the road and in hotels. I was travelling from Georgia to Texas and decided to spend the night in New Orleans on 4/17/12. My wife booked the room for me, so other than where it was located and that the parking was supposed to be secure, I knew nothing about the hotel. When I arrived at the Hotel Modern, I was immediately impressed with the appearence of the hotel and its surroundings. My work truck, which is packed with expensive equipment, was valet parked in a secure area which is monitored 24/7 for $18.00 a day. When I entered the lobby, I was immediate greeted by the staff. After asking my name and inviting me to sit down, I was offered a glass of wine while I was checked in. During the check in process, the staff members chatted with me and explained the various amenities and offerings of the hotel. I planned to do some computer work in the morning and check out somewhat early, so I asked about breakfast and room service and was told that they began serving at 7 am. I was assigned room 906, which turned out to be on the front of the hotel and had an impressive view. The room is small, but stylish and provided all the comforts of home except for in-room coffee maker and there are no ice machines, but if you call room service, they will bring a bucket to your room. The hotel itself is not in the French Quarter, but is right on a trolly line, which runs every few minutes, and brings you directly to all the areas of interest. That evening, I had dinner in the French Quarter and did some siight-seeing, and after several hours, returned to the hotel. I woke up about 6 am, did some business related work, took a shower and about 7:20 am, I began trying to order room service. From that time, until about 9 am, I attempted to contact room service and kept reaching a recording. I called the front desk and explained what was happening and they assured me that they would contact room service directly, and have them call me back. It never happened. When I went to check out, I observed that the restaurant was open and a few people were inside having coffee, so I am unsure what the issue was that morning. I informed the person that checked me out of the problems that I had encountered and surprisingly, they offered nothing other than a half hearted apology and no explanation for the breakdown in service that morning. No coffee, no breakfast and a bad ending to an otherwise good stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fishlip4u
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Modern for 6 nights. Typical for New Orleans (where there's a festival happening every week), it was difficult to find accommodation. We felt Hotel Modern was very good value with nice, upgraded facilities for a reasonable price in a convenient location. We walked or took the streetcar easily to any of the districts we wanted to explore.

Our room decor was not as "funky" as we'd expected, and the view was a brick wall from the next building. But the bed was exquisitely comfortable, the room was very quiet, and we slept like never before. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant on our first night. Food and service were lovely.

In general, hotel customer service was quite "hands-off", but we felt the staff were there if needed. A welcome glass of wine upon arrival was much appreciated. But when we accidentally left our camera in the room upon departure - housekeeping staff located it immediately after my phone call and shipped it to our home country by FedEx. We could not be more impressed by this assistance, thank you Andre and your team.

We'd be happy to stay at Hotel Modern again for the cost, comfort and convenience - but the extra customer service when it really counts, deserves an extra 100 loyalty points.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrumArchive
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

The hotel was enjoyable. The staff was extremely helpful anytime we needed anything at all. The rooms are a bit on the small side but were well appointed. The mini fridge is full of the mini bar items so if you plan on using it you'll have to make some room. The location is right next to the St.Charles street car line if you plan on using the public transportation.
The only drawbacks would be the air conditioner-it kept cutting off whenever we stayed still for too long and the parking- we parked in a lot directly behind the hotel for $18.00 per 24 hours.

Room Tip: There are two buildings so if you don't want to walk to the back building via the covered walkwa...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
On behalf of the staff at The Hotel Modern, we thank you for the kind comments. We are pleased you had a great stay and will make sure next time we offer you a greater experience. We do apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced with our thermostats, as they are motion sensored. We do have the capability to override that feature to your comfort level. Don't hesitate to bring it to our attention at any time so that we may see to your every need.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was in New Orleans for the Final Four and stayed at The Modern Hotel on St. Charles Ave. It is a very service oriented hotel and all of the staff was super nice. The rooms were a little small but not too small and very well decorated. The beds were super comfortable and everything was super clean. The only down side was that the wireless internet was down for a large portion of the time that we were there. The explanation was that the whole city was online about the Final Four and the city wasn't equipped to handle the load. That was a ridiculous answer and thus why I gave four stars instead of five. I didn't have problems getting online any where else I was in the city so the staff person was making excuses but had no clue what he was talking about. They have valet parking for $38 which is a little high but you can drive and park as much as you want. There is a Premium Parking lot just around the block that you can park for 24 hours for $25. That is what we did and had no problems. The rooms are a little more expensive that we usually pay but for the Final Four experience of being in the city it was worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
At The Hotel Modern, it is our goal to provide you with an entire pleasant experience. We are pleased you found our staff friendly and our rooms comfortable. We appreciate your feedback in regards to our wireless services, we understand the importance of it. While it is not a recurrent issue, it is being assessed to ensure it works to its full capability at all times. Please forgive us for the answer we offered.
We are looking forward to hosting you next time you visit our great city!

Queens, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, the hotel was supposed to be charged to my client's card since he reserved it and used his card to reserve it. When I checked in the hotel, lobby person assured me it was only for incidentals. When I checked my bank statement I figured the charge was temporary, 2 weeks ago by and the charge was still on my card. I called them and explained the situation and they didn't show any care whatsoever. The person on the phone didn't do anything to help and said I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but we can't do anything to help you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Shomi P
HotelModern, General Manager at The Hotel Modern, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear guest, please accept our sincere apologies for the manner in which we handled this situation.

We did not communicate during the greeting process, the fact that the cardholder is required to be present unless prior arrangements have been made.

At the Hotel Modern, we take pride on our friendly and responsive staff. We are sorry we failed you. We will emphasize on being consistent.

Please reach out to me and I will be glad to further look into this billing issue.

I hope you enjoyed your stay and that you will consider giving us another opportunity.

Guayama, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Is a unique hotel, the front desk is a peculiar table no computer. The service it's the best and for welcome drink serving wine. The rooms are very modern and clean. I recommend 100%

• Stayed March 2012