“slightly shabby but clean and extremely friendly”
Review of The Hotel Modern

The Hotel Modern
Ranked #107 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“slightly shabby but clean and extremely friendly”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I was very impressed by the service at Le Cirque. The staff were increadibly friendly in a genuine way and very helpful. The hotel is a restrained mod design. Corners cwere cut with materials so some of the finishes are showing wear and tear, but otherwise I thought the hotel was great. And it was well located far enough from the French Quarter to escape the madness but not so far that it wasn't a comfortable walk. It is also close to the Garden District and several museums. And it was great value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I was just recently at this hotel with three other friends, and we all agreed on the fact that this is not somewhere we'd stay at again. Our room was on the second floor and the elevator was always working so that wasn't a problem. However, the room always smelled like mold, it was muggy and the sheets were stained.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Le Cirque is on Lee Circle which is a cab ride to the French Quarter. The room we had was pretty small and the bed (king size) was uncomfortable. The bathroom was pretty small as well and not very clean. The stand up shower had some mold in the floor area and was pretty creepy. Parking is an additional $28/night so be careful if you are driving.

The lobby was cool-ish but the bar was never open while we were there nor did they have breakfast. All in all, it was alittle less value for the money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I have been traveling for business since Feb (the past 2 months) leaving home every third day to stay in hotels. By far, this one was the worst. The positive reviewers are guilty of hyperbole or work for the company. I booked a "deluxe room" w/a King-sized bed for 2 nights, but upon my arrival was
assigned a closet sized room w/a full-sized bed. I opened the door and was immediately greeted by a strong odor, perhaps mold, but certainly an unpleasant dampness. The small room was depressing, w/only one small window facing an alley and the backs of several nearby buildings. There was a small area separated from the rest of the room by a dingy curtain; I pulled the curtain back to discover the "closet". The bathroom was about 1/3 the size of the entire room, which surpised me. The bathroom counter appears to have been actual marble, though I cannot be certain. The shower consisted of a tiled area marked off by a curtain. All the furniture was old and ragged. The desk chair, which was covered in vinyl, looked as if an animal had been chewing on it or a previous customer had carelessly peeled it off the seat and the back of the chair. The carpet, both in the room and the elevator, was absolutely filthy. I knew I would not be able to spend two nights in that room and went downstairs to request a room change. The ladies at the desk apologized profusely about the smelly room and said they would "upgrade" me to the room for which my office had already prepaid. I visited the new room before accepting it and it was only slightly better. There were 2 small windows w/the exact same view and the carpet appeared less disgusting. The room is significantly smaller and certainly not worth Amy extra cost. In total, I can say that this is the worst hotel I've stayed in the US. It needs major renovations of the rooms and an overhaul of it's decor and furnishings. My room's walls seem to be freshly painted, but the timy bathroom of my new room is painfully in need of repair and re-painting. It is worth mentioning that there is only one functioning elevator in the hotel, though there are two elevators. I can see adventurers, college students and people who can sleep anywhere being satisfied w/a place of this caliber; however, it will not suffice for anyone requiring clean and comfortable accommodations. The price is only a few dollars less than large hotel chains; chains I would have preferred if it were not an issue of lack of rooms due to several large conferences coinciding w/my trip to New Orleans. Do not be fooled by the positive reviews; this hotel needs A LOT of improvements.

• Stayed April 2011
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We booked this place last minute as the hostel we originally planned on staying in was substandard. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel was next to the tram which took you in one direction to Canal Street and Bourbon Street and the other to the Garden district. So the location was rather central. Also it was walking distance to the WWII and the confederacy museums.

Tips:
- Farmers market on Saturdays at the corner of Magazine & Girod where you can get some delicious locally made produce, cheese and bread.
- Beignet at Cafe du Monde are the the best, don't try anywhere else (like Cafe Beignet).
- Raw oysters at Felix (Bourbon & Iberville) are great, dozen oysters for just 10 bucks
- Very interesting and delicious selection of breakfast dishes at the Oceana Grill (Bourbon & Conti)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2011

From the moment I reserved the hotel room, weeks in advance of the actual trip - I found that the service was spectacular. I had to call the hotel with inquiries about amenities, parking, etc. They were incredibly helpful and genuinely enthused about their job.

Once there, the check-in was pleasant and efficient - they set up our valet parking and helped us to our room.

Our trip was one of leisure and escape - the environment of the hotel and the staff succeeded in making that easy.

Laura and Rebecca, the lovely ladies behind the desk for the day shift were absolutely wonderful in every way. They helped us find things to do, made reservations for meals and personally took time out of their work to congratulate us on our engagement.

I have one negative review. The maintenance guy, when called upon to repair an issue with our television, was impatient, rude and seemed inconvenienced by the fact that we required his oh so valuable time to repair their broken television, which he ended up just replacing.

Aside from that, I couldn't have anything but the highest review for the staff and the experience at Hotel Le Cirque. I would suggest it to all of my friends and I will personally be taking my Fiancé back the soonest we have a chance!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Came here with my little boy and best friend for my birthday weekend. They let us check in early and the valet guys were super nice. The front desk lady showed me how to get to the attractions we were looking for and gave me local insider information on the best way to get to the cemetaries and shops. Our room was clean and cozy; it wasn't as big as most chain hotel rooms, but I almost prefered the home-y feeling. The decor was amazing and the climate control in the room was easy to use and quick. The ONLY negative I found was there were not ice machines on every floor. I went on a fifteen minute adventure seeking one out. Other than that, it was great and will definatley stay there agian!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family