“Great Hotel”

Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Ranked #89 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We arrived at the Holiday Inn on 2/20/11 for one night prior to our Carnival Triumph cruise. We had pre-paid for two room. One was ready but the other was not. (It was 2:45 pm) We took all our bags to the one room and it was beautiful. We had a balcony that overlooked a park. We missed the first free shuttle (they leave on the hour) and took the next to RiverWalk. Before we boarded one of the gentlemen gave us all beads for Marty Gras. Rode the ferry, ate at the Dry Dock Cafe and came back to walk around Canal street. We called for a pick-up to return to the hotel but we think the driver forgot us. We waited for 45 min. and called again. He came after another 15 min. (A little hard to keep 4 kids occupied waiting). We arrived back at the hotel, checked out the pool (very nice) and slept very well. Even though this hotel is near a hospital (and I'm a light sleeper) we only heard 1 ambulance all night. I would stay here again with my family.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed February 28, 2011

I travelled with 164 friends and clients to New Orleans for a Carnival cruise. Most of our group stayed the night before at the Holiday Inn Downtown-Superdome. We were welcomed with smiles at check in. The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were outstanding.

Judy and Melissa helped set up a dinner at the hotel the night before the cruise. They did a fantastic job.

At the end of the cruise most of the group stayed a couple of days to see New Orleans. There were 143 people coming back to the hotel to pick up cars or to check back in. The front desk greeted us with smiles again and expedited the check in process.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Judy, Melissa, Patrice, Gary, John and Paul were the hotel staff that made our stay memorable. Thanks to all.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I came to N'awlins to attend the very first Mardi Gras parade! All I could afford was the Holiday Inn just outside the French Quarter. The area was a little on the sketchy side, but I felt safe enough with my husband. When I checked into the hotel, Casey and Kevin and Brad were at the front desk. Brad checked me in, but Kevin and the other girl were very helpful with any area questions and telling us how to get to the parade and some other information about the French Quarter. We were not in the hotel very much, but what we saw was nice and the art added a nice touch. Hopefull we will be able to come back soon. Maybe next time we will take a cruise!

Reviewed February 24, 2011

The hotel & staff were really great -nice accomodations, helpful staff. 'Big" Paul White was super helpful and very friendly -don't loose him! We had a large group staying before and after our cruise -staff was very courteous made our stay so pleasant.
Restaurant service was verrry slooow, even when not very full. -Needs improvement.
Also, had several problems with the coded room cards not working well -needs better coding machine or system.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

The Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome is, at the moment, surrounded by parking lots and abandoned buildings. It's on the fringe of the CBD several blocks away from most of the other hotels in the area (i.e., Sheraton, Drury Inn, Marriot, Wyndam). It's a solid ten minute walk to the French Quarter, which is completely fine by day, but a dark and quiet walk at night. The hotel does offer a shuttle, but it runs infrequently (1 per hour) and stops at 10 p.m. every night. We ended up having to take a cab back to the hotel most evenings, envious of our fellow tourists making the couple block walk across Canal St. to the comparably priced hotels in the CBD area bordering the French Quarter.

Aside from the poor location, the hotel is not bad. Our room was quite large, with a massive and comfortable king-size bed, a flat panel TV, a full desk and multiple chairs. It was a smoking room, but didn't offend us (both non-smokers).

In a city with as many options as New Orleans, I can't think of any reason to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome. However, if you get stuck there (i.e., priceline, hotwire) you'll be treated right by an pleasant staff and a nice big room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2011

A group of some hundred of us ate at a banquet room at the hotel, and ALL the food was terrible: raw fillets, raw catfish, and raw chicken (really raw, as in indeible raw). I do not know of anyone who could eat the meal. I never saw so much wasted food in my life. Complaints fell on deaf ears; not one waiter offered, after practically being begged, to do anything about problems. They just took the plates away.

The hotel itself was nice and the rest of the staff were cooperative.

My suggestion: Do not ever attend a banquet. If you do, eat before you go--there won't be anything edible other than a small piece of pie.

John Matthew

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Feb. 13th and 14th, my family and I stayed at this hotel. We were there because my father was having brain surgery at Tulane. To tell the truth my wife and I were a bit scared to be in the heart of New Orleans. All we have ever heard is horror stories from the area. The stay at this hotel really put us at ease. When we arrived we were greeted by the smiling faces of Patrice Cooper, Kevin Sattler, and Brad Viet. Mrs. Cooper began to check us in and asked why were we the there. After telling her, you could tell she was empathetic to our situation. She and the other two gentle men went out of their way to ensure our stay was more than just comfortable. They made sure we had maps of the city, suggested kid friendly restaurants, and even gave us coupons to the zoo. They thought it would be a good idea to help keep the kids calm through our ordeal if we took them to the zoo. Boy were they right. My kids had a blast both at the zoo and the fine hotel. We will be back to New Orleans again, this time for a friendly visit, and we will surely be stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome! Thank you all so much!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple