“Terrible, Terrible, Terrible”

Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Ranked #79 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed January 28, 2011

First off! We arrived at this hotel about 2 hours before check in and they were very rude. We asked if there was a room available and before checking to see, the lady at desk blurted out NO. We went to park our vehicle and even the parking attendant was very rude. After we parked, we went inside and there was a line of about 6 people who they were giving rooms too. This all happened in about 20 minutes from asking if we had a room available. I'm a platinum member and was treated very poorly.
We finally get to our room and I was in disgust. This room looked like something you would get for $20 a night. There were 3 of us and they only left 3 towels. No wash cloths. The toilets sit very closely the floor and the bathroom is very small. The shower was stopped up the whole time which made showering gross. I couldn't even shower on the day we checked out because it was full of water from wife showering. If you get a double room, the beds are between a full and twin which again made it hard for 2 people to get a good nights rest. The tvs are old, the room stunk, actually the whole hotel stunk. We went to eat lunch at their restauraunt. They were out of just about everything, turkey, fries, muffaletta sandwiches and a few other things I can't remember. The food we did receive wasn't that bad but couldn't believe that on Sugar Bowl weekend they could be out of that much stuff and this was just the first day we were there. The location is close to the superdome but also close to Tulane hospital, which all you hear all night is sirens. It seemed like every 5 minutes an ambulance was leaving. If you walk to Boubon st, you have to pass a bus stop full of bums which beg for money or make comments about your wife. The parking is terrible also. I drive a GMC crew cab and couldn't get into most parking spots. They only let you park on 3-6 deck so parking during big venues is tough. I will go to New Orleans again because I did have a good time, but you can bet one thing, I will never pay to stay in this hotel ever again. Worst hotel by far I have ever stayed in! And if anyone from Hoilday Inn reads this. Ya'll need to do something with your customer service. These folks are the rudest people I've ever dealt with. I've stayed all over this country and have never been treated this poorly!!!!! And we paid $625 for 3 nights in this dump!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BigEFortSmith

Reviewed January 22, 2011

I was in New Orleans for a random getaway and did not want to pay the prices to stay in the French Quarters. I found this hotel and though I would try it. The lobby looks nice and professional but everything was really outdated. I was initially very disappointed but was blown away by the front desk staff. Patrice checked me in but a younger man who was a little hyper (Kevin maybe?) talked to me throughout the whole process and made it very enjoyable. The rooms were not great but I came down a few more times just to talk with the staff and I had almost as much fun in the hotel as I did on Bourbon. All the problems of the hotel are solvable and if the hotel had a modern appeal it would have been much better.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank melloneyfay
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel to attend the Sugar Bowl at the Superdome. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the stadium and because of the low price compared to other hotels in the area. It did not disappoint!! The room was clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in in a long time. The staff was friendly and helpful and the location, for my purposes, was perfect as it was equi-distant from the Superdome and the French Quarter (about a 5 minute walk to the dome; 10 minute walk to the French Quarter). The walk is safe in both directions; although, if walking to the French Quarter at night, bring a friend...it's just a good idea... There is a bar and restaurant adjacent to the lobby. The bar is quaint and comfortable, the bartender was extremely friendly and the food was good!! As far as my stay is concerned, I can't say enough good things!! Thank you Holiday Inn Superdome!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank cjm73
Reviewed January 8, 2011

The attittude and unfriendliness of the front desk and management staff override the barely adequate amentities at this hotel. We visited here with friends of out of state for the Sugar Bowl at the SuperDome. It was convenient to the dome but the hotel staff were untrained lacked "southern hospitiality". I was embarrassed and disappointed in the service and attitude at this hotel. We specifically requested a NON SMOKING room which had NEVER been a smoking room and were promised upon check in that this room was not nor ever had been a smoking room. Not only did the room smell of stall smoke but it had an ash tray and matches on the night stand. The front desk tried to overcharge our bill by charging us a higher rate than previously booked. They also charged us for the full stay and I had to prove that we had paid it upon booking. Luckily I had my confirmation receipt but did have to log onto my billing statement to confirm payment had been made. Will not be visiting this hotel again on our numerous trips to New Orleans.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jonijjeffj
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on December 11th. When I arrived by car there were no signs to indicate where to go for self parking. When I asked the garage attendant, they made a rude remark.
When I checked in at the front desk I gave a credit card for the self parking charges only since I booked this room on priceline.com. When I received the bill the next day( which didn't even list my name) I saw the room charges on the statement. I went to front desk and specifically asked if the room charges were billed to my credit card since I prepaid for the room. The front desk person stated the charges were not billed to the card. I asked for another statement for just the parking and was given a statement with just self parking but with no name. When I reviewed my December Credit Card bill I discovered they had billed the room and did bill me twice for the room.
Additionally, the water in the room smelled and tasted fowl. The hotel is not a leisurely walk to the French Quarter.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Northshorelt
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Ick. At first glance it's not so bad. But then, ugh, my stomach turns every time I think about our room. Hallways reeked of cigarettes, as did our non-smoking room. The sliding glass door opened out to the pool and wasn't very secure. Very low ceilings, and a less than friendly front desk. Though the bartender was very nice. We ordered room service the next day, and it was vile. And the clientele wandering the hallways was shady at best. ICK!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jordanwhitley
Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stayed here on a covention weekend when just about every hotel room walking distance to downtown/French Quarter areas were booked, so I felt lucky to get a room here at a decent price (hotel prices in general can go double or more when the city gets booked). There were postives and negatives, but I also adjusted my expectations based on the price compared to other hotels in the area:

POSITIVES:
1) Walking distance to downtown and French Quarter. It's an easy walk to Bourbon St; longer walk to main tourist area in French Quarter by the river, but easy enough if you like to walk, and Canal St is an interesting stroll to get there. But there is a negative to the walking location too, see NEGATIVES (1) below.
2) Good value for your money, especially during busy times when hotel prices get ridiculously inflated. On a non-busy weekend I probably would have stayed somewhere else though.
3) Room was decent size; temperature control was convenient and worked well; bed and pillows were VERY comfortable - the mild back pain I usually get at home was gone during my sleep here! I was not bothered by any significant noise, though it is a downtown area and you can hear traffic now and then.
4) Customer service in lobby and restaurant was adequate and attentive for the most part when I initiated.
5) Free WiFi was nice to have - many hotels in the area charge extra for it.

NEGATIVES
1) The problem though with the walking location is that this hotel is about 4-5 blocks outside the "safe" zone, and walking those last few blocks either during the day or especially after dark is unnerving. I'm a pretty bold traveler (and I can run fast) but I felt very nervous during that part of my walks back and forth. Unsavory characters will stake out the street, spot you from a distance and cleverly approach you to see if you are a good target. One time I actually walked into the middle of Loyola street to avoid being cornered after dark. If you are not so bold, take the free shuttle or a cab, or walk in a group.
2) Hallways and rooms are showing a little bit of "wear and tear" and need some updating or simple fixups. It really didn't bother me though, just don't expect perfection.
3) Room cleanliness could have been a little bit better - dirty doorframes from the sinks splashing, dirty windows, cigarette butts on the balcony. But it was minor stuff.
4) When I tried to check in they told me the computers were down and couldn't verify any reservations, so I sat in the lobby for 1.5 hours while they tried to start their computers. That was very frustrating and a bad start to my weekend. After 1.5 hours the manager decided to assign rooms and take notes on paper until the computers came back. Good idea, and she was nice enough to approach me to check me in without me having to go back repeatedly to ask. But that should have been done right away not after 1.5 hours.
5) I asked for a late checkout, but the desk person failed to tell me (and someone else behind me) that the key would not work after 12, so it was an extra trip down to the lobby to ask why my key didn't work. Please tell people this up front when they ask for a late checkout. Just another little annoying and frustrating thing that can be easily avoided.
6) Breakfast buffet was not good. Overcooked (powdered?) eggs, ran out of fruit (remaining citrus-soaked, browning melon chunks were disgusting), solidifying gravy for the biscuits couldn't even be scraped out of the pot, no bread or toaster, very limited choices. Not worth it - avoid it - go to IHOP on Canal St. about 5-10 min walk.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Garden District
Prytania Park
Prytania Park
#106 of 167 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!