“Good Hotel”

Ranked #70 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a nice stay here. It's a nicely kept Holiday Inn. Quiet, friendly. About a mile outside of the French Quarter, but it's a rather easy walk. Great concierge who guided us to take a swamp tour - great suggestion. Nice breakfast buffet for the price.

My only complaints are that the weight machine was broken in the gym and the bar only opens at 2pm.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salem, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

First the good. The hotel is across from City Hall and a nice little park. Parking is on floors 3-6 of the hotel, and you have a card to go in and out as wanted. You take the same elevators up to your room. The room was clean, and quiet. Check in was efficient, as was check out. There is a nice outdoor pool, and the guest laundry room was clean and safe. It took $1. each for wash and dry. For $1.25 you could purchase laundry soap. There is a wonderful musical mural on the side of the hotel. Now the negatives-the elevator's took forever, and I mean forever. When it did show up, it was already full, and then we'd have to wait forever for another one. We were on the 11th floor and my son chose to walk several times instead of waiting. Secondly, breakfast is not included. You can order from a menu or pay $11.95 for a buffet. The buffet had lots of choices, and is definitely the way to go. Ordering from the menu, you pay $2.95 for coffee, and another 2.95 for a wine goblet size juice. I sat over 20 minutes without any server acknowledgement. The hostess that brought me to the table didn't mention the buffet. Finally I walked over to a server assisting a table that came in well after I did, and asked for coffee and juice. Another customer told me where to locate the buffet. The final issue was the room refrigerator. I did not touch the settings, just put a few sodas in when I arrived, and didn't think about it again until we were leaving. The refrigerator was so cold that both cans of soda had frozen and exploded. Another reviewer mentioned the French Quarter was a few short blocks but the blocks were the equivalent to NY Avenue size. It took me 20 minutes walking to reach the French Quarter from the hotel. The concierge suggested a trolley, but for some reason they weren't running at the stop closest to the hotel. We waited over an hour for one. They went in the other direction, but not ours. Several local folks were waiting too, and they said that was very unusual. All in all, I'd pick a hotel in the French Quarter next trip.

Room Tip: The 8th floor has a sitting area, the outdoor pool, the laundry, and some rooms. Odd numbered rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank idlewood4
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our property, we appreciate the feedback as it aids in our continuing effort to improve the guest experience. I apologize the elevators were not swift enough during your stay. There is only one lift remaining for modernization at this time. Very soon all four elevators will be running more efficient in terms of technology and guest delivery to floors. The Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome is a full service property offering a fabulous restaurant and bar. The restaurant renovation was completed last week; I hope you enjoyed the new, contemporary design! We are very proud of the finished product and excited to share the marvelous upgrade with our guests! Unfortunately, breakfast is only included for the Express and Extended Stay brands within InterContinental Hotels Group as we can offer a wide range of options such as the buffet, full menu, and room service for our guests. The service you encountered in the restaurant is unacceptable; however, we have taken your comments to heart and are utilizing them to re-train the staff. Lastly, in regards to the items frozen by the in-room fridge, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please never hesitate to notify the staff of issues while on property so we can fix them for you prior to leaving. We would have taken full responsibility and been more than happy to replace the damaged goods. Once again, thank you for taking the time to help us grow!
Modesto, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed six nights in this hotel on my recent trip to New Orleans. One night was on my own and the next five nights as part of a Road Scholar tour group. I enjoyed my stay here and found the room to be clean, good sized and with the necessary amenities. It was also quiet each night of the stay. The second night I was there, my roommate and I discovered that the air conditioning was not working in our room. When we called about this in the evening, a maintenance worker came immediately, found that it was not working properly, checked out another room and suggested we move where we could be cooler. I appreciated the prompt response in resolving the matter. I was also pleased with how friendly the staff were at the front desk. There was always a hello and an interest in what we were doing. Most of the people at the concierge desk were helpful regarding tours and information, especially one young man who took care of getting me a ticket for the Natchez cruise, gave very worthwhile information on the best place in the city for jazz clubs (Frenchman Street, an area we found had great music clubs and ambience), and even provided his phone number if we had questions during our stay in New Orleans. Only one person at the concierge desk was not very helpful when I asked for some information and perhaps it was not a good day for her. We ate at the breakfast buffet while staying there and the amount of offerings is good with the food being just average. Our group enjoyed a dinner and lunch prepared by the hotel. I thought the dinner offerings were average, but the lunch was quite good. The dining area is a pleasant place to eat. Be sure to check out the murals outside of the hotel lobby. The hotel is in the area where jazz was born and the murals show beautiful artwork of this history. I was quite captivated by the enormous clarinet painted on the side of the hotel! The location of the hotel is fairly good. The streetcar/bus line is nearby and you can easily walk to Canal Street with numerous shopping. It is also not too far to walk to the French Quarter.

I absolutely loved my visit to New Orleans, one of the most interesting and fun cities I have ever visited. This is a must city for a visit and I would also recommend this hotel during your stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

The first night there I ended up with a spider bite on my arm. The hotel is old and run down. But then again you get what you pay for. Close to the hospital and all the emergency's in and out of the ER all night...Hope you're a sound sleeper. I would never had chosen this hotel. My travel assistant at work booked it(she must have been mad at me at time of booking)You have to pay for parking and internet. Good luck if you stay here

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Randi S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Randi S,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Within walking distance to Canal and Bourbon Street and very close to the Superdome, the location is ideal if you are looking to stay somewhere quiet. Rooms are clean, modern, spacious and comfortable with 2 sinks and a small balcony.
The staff is however a hit and miss in terms of friendliness..in particular the front desk staff. Please make sure you do check your registration card when checking in as they don't seem to inform you if the room type you have booked is not available. Also please check your bill at the end of your stay as we had found discrepancies in ours. On the other hand the guys are the bar were friendly and helpful.
Another thing to note about this hotel is the cost of the car park. The cost for parking is quite pricey however we did mange to find a cheaper places the park within walking distance but it was the last night, so never bothered do check around for cheaper options if it is possible.
Overall the hotel experience ok and i would recommend it if the price was right and providing that you check your bill at check out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I apologize for the billing discrepancy and hope the front desk was able to resolve your concerns prior to departure. Your comment regarding our service is extremely helpful as we do in fact use guest feedback as a training opportunity! We need to know our weaknesses in order to better serve our guests. Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your highlights are much appreciated and allow for certain departments to be recognized for a job well done! We look forward to serving you once again, I think you’ll find we took your remarks to heart and have used them to advance!
Dyer, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise on Navigator of the Seas. I had booked the "stay and cruise" parking package which allowed me to leave my car in a gated lot behind the hotel during our cruise. This ended up being cheaper than parking my car at the pier.

We booked 2 rooms for our party of 6 travelers. The hotel was undergoing some elevator renovations at the time which led to some waiting. The rooms themselves were nicely decorated (seemed to be recently updated) and were clean. beds were extremely comfortable although, I might add, I had just driven 15 hours from NW Indiana.... so the floor would have been comfortable to me. The bedding was clean (appeared newer). The bathroom could have been a bit bigger and the drainage was slow in the shower but handled the 4 of us fairly well considering.

Our room overlooked Loyola Avenue and had a small balcony. We were within walking distance to a few restaurants and although you may think 8 blocks is a bit far you will get there quicker than if you drive and try to find a place to park. We made that mistake when we drove to Muriel's Jackson Square restuarant.... This was our first time in NOLA and we had no idea how narrow the streets were and how limited the parking was.... Our Yukon XL felt like we were driving and trying to park a charter bus..... Next time we will walk or pre order a cab.....

In the morning we ate breakfast downstairs, which was just ok... nothing to write home about.

All in all, I would stay at this hotel again for the price and the convenience of parking your car during a cruise was definitely worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I wanted to have some flowers delivered to my mother's room for Mother's Day..The challenge was that I live here in Baltimore.Maryland. Missy the concierge was wonderful.She knew where to get the roses last minute,picked them out personally and coordinated the steps so that they will arrive in her room tomorrow.Total time for her to do this was about one hour and a half

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Katieobrien4
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!