WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #74 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“So-So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

CONS:
The room looks nice, but upon further inspection, there are bed bugs, dirty mirrors and windows, dirty table and counter tops, shower and bath need repairs, AC unit needs repair. The location does not feel safe at night. No security presence around the outside of the hotel. The parking is the most expensive around by far and is substandard in every way. The parking garage has low ceilings low-hanging pipes with rust and mold. Maybe all this is typical for NOLA, but this is my 1st time there in decades. Look closely at online maps of the hotels around Bourbon Street and stay there instead. Security on Bourbon St is much better than here.

PROS:
I found free parking on many streets and at Harrah's, if you gamble enough! It is a few minutes from Bourbon Street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 595DavidK
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you kindly for the feedback. As always, we appreciate any information that will help us move forward in improving the guest experience. I apologize you did not leave satisfied, however, please be aware we are addressing all of the issues mentioned. I can assure you, there are no pest control concerns at our property. As you also filled out a Holiday Inn survey, we had access to your room location and immediately had it inspected. The inspection did come back clean. It may also ease your mind to know we have consistent pest control service throughout the property as a preventative measure. I regret you felt unsafe as we do in fact have security on staff every evening. We take every precaution to ensure our guests safety. All guest rooms floors and upstairs banquet space has already been renovated, only one elevator remains to be modernized (current work in progress), and the 1st floor has begun its transformation as well! We are very proud of our product and the benefits to our guests stay as we continue to progress with renovations, please come back and see us again! I have no doubt we can exceed your expectations if given another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here while in New Orleans as part of a tour group. The hotel was comfortable, although I had to ask to have a couple of small problems with the room rectified. Anything I requested was taken care of promptly. The staff were polite and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were spacious but a little dated. Staff and service were excellent (including the bar man !). Location was fairly good - 10 minute walk to Bourbon Street (although wouldn't want to do it at night) and other attractions.

• Stayed April 2013
Lanaken, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the French Quarter (Bourbon street where the parties are every night). It has very nice staff. Even though it was overbooked when we arrived and they couldn't offer the room we wanted, we were given the option of staying in a different kind of room free of charge for one night (1+1 spare bed) or go to another hotel.
The rooms are nice, equipped with everything you might need, clean and tidy. You can find different kinds of pillows as well, from soft to hard.
The only thing I didn't like was the balcony door. In our rooms (both of them on the 16th and 17th floor) were relatively noisy from all the traffic and sirens going on outside and below. The balcony door in our room was broken, it was not sliding properly and it could be closed with a gap of about half an inch.
Other than that the place was good, the pricing was good, so I'd come back with some earplugs anytime.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our company has been using this hotel for an important project in New Orleans for sometime and the service we have received, and me personally, have been superior. Ms. Thais Ellison has been extremely helpful from the sales staff and is extremely accommodating to help book your stay. She always is willing to help in all regards and will take the extra step to ensure you, as the traveler, are completely satisfied with the Holdiay Inn experience.

I would also like to say that the hotel restaurant is very good and great service, including Scott, who is extremely impressive in his talents and people skills. Not only does he remembers customers names (from out of town), but remembers why they are there and always has a great greeting for them when he sees them and makes it worthwhile to visit. Top notch professional all around.

N Barron

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this Holiday Inn. At times, there was a long wait for an elevator due to repairs and upkeep.
I especially want to mention "Scott" the bartender at the hotel. He was always pleasant, personable, professional, and efficient. Even when he had a full bar, he continued to engage with customers while serving them. His pleasant, approachable demeanor made a difference during my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cocoa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I booked a block of 30 rooms for a March meeting in the New Orleans area. They surprised me at checkin with an upgrade to their Presidents Suite. Yay!! I've booked a lot of room blocks and this is the best upgrade yet! The suite was spacious with a separate living and sleeping area. Probably a bit much for one person, but I enjoyed it anyway. I was a bit surprised that the bathroom was the same as the regular rooms, but that is not a complaint. The bed was a king size and very comfortable. It was a quiet room, I could only hear my neighbors running water in the bathroom.

The hotel is clean and nicely decorated. It is walking distance to the French Quarter but wear your sneakers. There is a restaurant and bar in the lobby. I did not use either. The staff is friendly and helpful.

From the other 30 guests in my room block, I only heard a few complaints. One was very legitimate, her door would not lock, you could just push it open. This was a lesson for me because I never check my door assuming that it locks. I always check now. The hotel was completely booked so they could not move her and it took two calls to maintenance to get it repaired. She was rightly upset.

Another guest had a stopped up bathtub drain that maintenance repaired. Several guests complained about the size of the fitness center. I agree, it is very small. Also heard a few complaints about the elevators being slow. However, there was a notice hanging in them that they were being renovated.

For the block, they gave us free wifi in the rooms, free parking and upgraded two other rooms. However, those two guests said their upgrade was only to a king instead of a double.

I have to say that I was a bit apprehensive booking at a Holiday Inn since my preference is two other major hotel brands. This Holiday Inn did the job, I was not disappointed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business