“Horrible Customer Service”

Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Horrible Customer Service”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is the 1st time I have written a review on Tripadvisor, but this experience has been so absurd I had to write about it. A colleague and I stayed at this hotel for a school social work conference February 16-20, 2013. We shared a room for the first 2 nights and I stayed in a seperate room for last 2 nights. We checked in with a tax exempt form that was applied to our first 2 nights, but not to our last 2 nights. First of all, we woke up Monday morning to a shower with no hot water and it was the first day of the conference we were attending. I called the front desk to let them know that one of us would be staying in that room, and I would check in to the second room after the conference. That was okayed. When we returned to the hotel, the attendant checked us out of the first room and checked us back in which resulted in my credit card on file being charged. I explained that I did not intend to use that card and did not realize he would have to check us out until he did it. I asked if I could use an alternative payment and he stated it was too late. That has never happened before. When my colleague checked out on February 20, she was told that she could not get the tax exemption for the last two nights without a federal credit card...absurd. I came down later to check out and was informed by Patrice, who presented herself as the manager, that I could not be tax exempt without a federal credit card. I informed her that we checked in with a tax exempt form on February 16 and it was reviewed and approved by Donna who was also a manager. She appeared to attempt to find the form a few times but was unsuccessful. I then asked her to review the records so she could see that we did not have to pay taxes on our first two nights. She did and could see that was the case, but still refused to remove the taxes. Our cab was waiting to take us to the airport so we could return to Wisconsin. Patrice took my phone number and stated she would call me. Please note that I have stayed at other hotels for conferences with a tax exempt form and never had a problem. I was upset with the fact that she could see we were tax exempt for the first half of our stay and that we had a group rate for the school social work conference, but refused to provide good quality service by removing taxes for the other nights. Instead she called to tell me she still could not find the form. I suggested she speak with the person who checked us in or Donna (the manager who approved the form). She instead told me to contact Donna later that evening. I called Donna who also told us to fax a copy of the tax exempt form. The form was faxed on February 21, and I spoke with Patrice who stated that the account receivable manager, Vera Bradley, stated that the form was not acceptable because it was from another state even though the form clearly states tax exemption for state and federal. I conferred with Vera directly and she stated the form was not acceptable because it was not from Louisiana. She then told me to call Jenny (asst controller) tomorrow. I asked for the general manager's name, William Clay VanVenter, and I left a message with his secretary. I cannot believe how difficult this staff has been. This was my first time staying at a Holiday Inn for a conference. I do not intend to every use them again. On a positive note, the house keeping and repair staff were very good. They greeted us with a smile everyday and quickly fixed our tub that drained slow.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Please accept my sincere apology in regards to your issue. You were originally misinformed by the staff, an error for which we take full responsibility. I have included some information for future reference should you return to Louisiana. Under “Concerning When Government Employees Can Claim Sales Tax Exemption on Hotel Lodging Charges,” the State of Louisiana Department of Revenue clarifies;

“This exclusion is not allowed on hotel room charges incurred by other nations, other states and their political subdivisions, or their employees.”

Additionally, there was a boiler down one morning resulting in temporary lack of hot water. I understand this was an unexpected inconvenience, especially when preparing for the first day of a conference. Your patience in our resolution was greatly appreciated.

Once again, I apologize for the miscommunication and regret you left our property unsatisfied. We take great pride in delivering exceptional service! I hope this incident does not deter you from giving us another chance. Granted the opportunity I have no doubt we can exceed your expectations and make your stay a 10!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bogue Chitto,MS
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Ok I'm goin give you everything that I thought was nice about the hotel first the gym,the 8th decor very beautiful,even the hallway sitting area was nice the hotel registration area outside pic was nice. our room was 809 had the pool right outside our patio doors,would have been great if it was hot outside,our housekeeper was a short black lady that wore glasses Nicette are something like that please fire her she doesn't clean good at all. Ok now next thing the garage if u are traveling in a SUV don't attempt to go pass level 3 especially if u have a bike are any belongings on top it's very low an scrape the top of our bike rack an level 1 an 2 had reserved on them wasn't sure if you could park there on weekends are not,so we went to level 7 which has some kind of renovation goin on at the end we thought there was a level 8 since we were on 8 floor but anyways it's very low clearance be careful I think d garage is more of a car place unless u get a parking spot on 3.we did park on 6, but on 3 when we returned from our outing. Ok next our room looked like d pics online an it would have been a great review if our housekeeper would have just cleaned the room better as soon as I get to any room I check d bed for bedbugs are anything that doesn't belong there! I found no bugs great but all the pillows had hair on them an if I had laid in d bed I woulda just thought that it was mines but I didn't anyways I picked up one pillow I said omg hair i just shook it off so I looked at the next pillow an it was 5 long pieces at this point Im upset because if it's this much hair on one pillow that means the housekeeper didn't bother to change the pillowcases an to me that's disgusting I don't know wt the prior guess has in her are his hair an it's not fair for me to pay $200 a night an not get clean linens ok so I check the rest of the pillows an sure enough they have more hair so I see the housekeepers cart right outside d door my husband say don't blow her out I said I'm not I'm just goin to get clean pillow cases that way I know I'm sleeping on clean pillows so I do I ask her for clean pillow cases an say that the housekeeper didn't change the pillow cases to her an she looks at me as if I'm crazy so she gives me d linens an I go to change all five pillows an they can really use a upgrade on d pillows once they go beige it's time for new ones ok next I go into d bath to wash my hands an looked at the door there's a silver plated around the door that hasn't been cleaned in almost a month at least it looks like a month, the toilet was slow as a turtle in flushing an please don't put but one piece of tissue in there at a time are it would overflow!! Called for a plunger surprised me when it came with a maintance guy,he was very nice an quick that was a good thing an other than that our room was nice the light above the bed very romantic,nice desk,flatscreen,seating area I just wished we would have got on Kelia floor the one everyone was reviewing about, would I reccomend this hotel no not if Nicet is cleaning an at $200 a night heck no!! but I do like to give a second chances on things so if I do im goin ask to b on Kelia floors if she's not working then no,it has potential just get rid of the people who don't do they job!!

1 Thank D_Smith11
Thank you kindly for the feedback, we do take our guest reviews to heart. I apologize you were not satisfied with the service provided. This issue is being addressed with the appropriate departments and staff members. Please know this is not the norm for our property as we consistently strive for excellence in all departments. Your declaration of a second chance is wonderful; we look forward to serving you again soon!
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'll admit, I'm not a budget hotel kind of traveler. However, when I pushed open our hotel room door I was psyched to discover a room that was just the opposite. Job well done Holiday Inn. Our room was maginificent. Clean, comfortable, and genuinely hip. I recall one morning convincd I was sleeping in The W Hotel. Walking distance to everything! Grab a bite to eat at the Holiday Streetcar Restaurant. The menu offers convenient and satisfying meal options. Just don't expect to see Michelin stars - it's simply food for fuel. Book a room without hesitation - you and your wallet will have a pleasant experience without sacrificing quality.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It was just nice! Well situated, big spaces, clean, nice pool.... I slept there for 6 nights during a congress and had a great time in the hotel. I could walk to the french quarter in 20 min, and it was a safe area around the business district.

Room Tip: I loved the microwave and fridge where I could put some of my food... The reception ladies were fr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
east midlands
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here in November as part of a tour around the States. I spent 3 nights and I can't fault the staff and I really liked our room. It was spacious, clean, well appointed and even came with a Balcony overlooking the pool area.

The surrounding area was undergoing a major redevelopment, which was a bit of a pain to navigate around, but all in all it didn't take anything away from our stay. I do look forward to returning when it is all complete.

I can't give my stay any less than 9 out of 10 as it was a great stay, from the excellent check in, thru to every day interactions with the excellent reception staff who are a major asset to the hotel.

Many thanks and I look forward to returning again :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our stay at the holiday inn superdome was one to remember. The hotel was very clean and the staff was amazing. Keila was great she told us good local spots to go visit and the best places to eat. The food she suggested was amazing and it's always nice to see a city as a local. The rooms are super clean and the walk from the hotel to Bourbon street was not too bad.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Keila and the housekeepers did a great job. We had a good stay. We were able to walk to most places. Cabs are usually available. Everyone had a nice time. Staff was friendly and helpful. Liked the decor and updated features.

1 Thank LSendacook
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Arts District / Warehouse District
Hampton Inn & Suites Convention Center

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!