“Very good and pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome

Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Ranked #72 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Göttingen
“Very good and pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I, visited a convention in New Orleans and stayed for 6 nights in this hotel.

Pros:
1. The hotel is walking distance from the convention center and from the French quarter.

2. The room was spacious and really cozy, one of the best I stayed in.

3. Internet is decent and free.

4.There is a fridge in the room.

5.There is a normal size supermarket (not a tiny grocery store) 7 minutes by foot from the hotel (you can actually see from the hotel).

6. Staff is helpful and nice, though sometimes you have to make sure that they listen to you till the end before jumping to conclusions and rushing doing things that you did not ask for.

Cons:
1. There is not much of a lobby and what there is, is not really inviting (for those who look for one)

2. We ate breakfast once at the hotel and the service can really be improved: we found it chaotic and slow.

3. There was a noise from outside air condition units (small turbo prop airplane style): it means that you have to sleep with windows closed.

4. If you have a connecting door in the room, you might hear your neighbors. It, of course depends on neighbors but we had quite an experience in our last night.

5. No 220/240 V in the bathroom

6. the upper part of the Canal street (leads to the Loyola Ave) feels not safe. We had to use Poydras Ave. or some other more inner streets.

Summary:
Overall, it was a good but not perfect stay, good value for money.

Room Tip: The higher the better because of the noise from A/C units
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank George B
HI-NewOrleans, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for the constructive feedback! The guest room floors have already been renovated, as you mentioned enjoying the room itself. The lobby, restaurant, and porte coche are scheduled to be renovated as well in the near future. Hopefully, you will return to re-evaluate the new and improved areas! They will follow the contemporary theme implemented upstairs and will be absolutely beautiful! I also feel once the construction from the new trolly line is complete, the Loyola entrance will be much more inviting and pedestrian traffic will feel more comfortable traversing the area. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houma, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

All the staff there are great. Very courteous and friendly. My husband and I recently stayed here for the Saints/Eagles game. We've stayed here before and never had a bad experience. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and the food was great. Can't beat the location. Easy walk to the dome, french quarter, street cars and much more. Will definitly stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T-Cat1
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is in walking distance of the quarter. The staff was friendly, although i never recieved the password for the internet. The hotel was clean, but didnt receive the same attention to detail on the weekend. This was my firts time in new orleans, and i would definately go back and stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mainstreet do have to deal with construction noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I cannot thank the wonderful girls Shantell and Brandy working at the New Orleans Holiday Inn enough for their great customer service in my time of need. I was staying in New Orleans while working a tradeshow from October 24th-27th at an expensive hotel known as the Hyatt Regency. I have never been to New Orleans, I am a resident of New Jersey; and due to Hurricane Sandy, my flight was changed over three times from Monday, to Sunday, then to WEDNESDAY forcing me to unexpectedly stay beyond what I was prepared to without the extra expenses needed. With my company paying over 3,000 dollars for 4 days at the Hyatt, I was expecting such a high class hotel to give me some kind of break in price with the circumstances. Unfortunately, the only break they would give me is a price of $200 a night which is absolutely ridiculous so I called local hotels around me to see if I could get a better price. After explaining my situation to Shantell and Brandy, they offered me a price of $79 a night which was completely reasonable. I packed my bags and walked to the hotel and was greeted warmly and given compassion for what I and my neighbors back home were going through. That night I got room service which was prompt with my order, and in the morning I had the daily paper at my door - nothing of which the Hyatt offered! I called down for cab at 9:30, and the cab was there right after my easy checkout. I am so grateful these girls were willing to listen to my situation and offer a solution for me, no questions asked. Thank you once again Shantell and Brandy, you girls were very sweet! - Colleen Campbell

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Colleen M
Thank you! We love to see our staff members mentioned as it gives management the opportunity to recognize them for a job well done. Feeling appreciated for their hard work instills the determination to provide amazing and consistent guest service. Thank you for taking the time to make our day!
Elmhurst, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Personnel here are very courteous, friendly and helpful. This Holiday Inn is a little way from the French Quarter, but the walk is not bad at all. My room was really clean and comfortable. I stayed six nights in October. All nights were peaceful--except Saturday night. There was excessive street noise until 2 or 3 a.m. I asked the hotel personnel in the restaurant the next morning about it, and they thought it came from a young people's club nearby. The sliding glass doors which lead to the balcony are apparently not soundproof.

If this is your first visit to New Orleans, the concierge on duty will be happy to help you book tours to area attractions. The tours offered are excellent. Tour buses will stop at the hotel to pick you up. Also you can be dropped off at any place on the route back to the hotel if you inform the driver beforehand.

I did find it necessary to rent a car for a day to visit some friends in Hammond. You can book a car with Enterprise or have the concierge do it for you. Enterprise closes at noon on Saturday, so I booked with Hertz and picked up my car at the Hilton (approximately 2 1/2 blocks away on Loyola.)

I ate most breakfasts and dinners at the restaurant. All meals were tasty. Their desserts were absolutely yummy. I did purchase some food at Rouse's grocery a few blocks away. They have some really good dishes in their deli.

A trolley line is being constructed on Loyola Avenue which should be completed in time for Mardi Gras and the Superbowl. Because of all the construction, I didn't readily notice that there is a nice little park area across the street from the hotel.

A lot of groups stay here. It is a really nice place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Oregon City, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is clean, very nice rooms. Everyone working here, is friendly,extremely polite and a pleasure to deal with. We had breakfast here every morning and one dinner. The food was well prepared and very good. We very much enjoyed our stay here. The only complaint we had, was two elevators were not working, and it could take awhile to get to your room.

Room Tip: There is street construction, so I would pick a room on an upper floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is an older hotel with a rich history which has been updated and is very nice. The main reason for the review is the restaurant in the hotel. The food was great but most importantly, our server Denika, was phenomenal. After having breakfast there just one day she remembered our exact order when we arrived the next morning and asked if we wanted the same meals remembering every detail of our previous orders. Service with a smile, making sure we had everything we needed, and even offering to go drinks when we were leaving...a rarity these days.

Room Tip: Lower floors are more convenient due to elevator traffic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter
Holiday Inn Express New Orleans Downtown
Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#108 of 162 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome? Share your experiences!