“Pretty nice overall, but a few things should be addressed.”

Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #83 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
South Florida, Florida
“Pretty nice overall, but a few things should be addressed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Many good things and some areas of improvement needed. As an Honors member, they might have given me a room on a higher floor rather than a 2nd floor "rooftop" view almost expecting to see someone walking by my window any time. I appreciated the proximity to the convention center and it not being on a noisy street. The pillows and comforter were nice, but the ill-fitting sheet directly on a rather uncomfortable mattress left a little to be desired. The TV remote and radio didn't work, and an hour after I requested working ones, I called again and about 1/2 hr after that a guy came up with a remote and tried to fiddle with the radio and said he'd be back , but was doing house keeping and maintenance by himself. In a 5 day stay, I never did get a working radio. Another night housekeeping came by trying to push towels on me that they were sure I ordered (I had not. She finally apologized and left.) I appreciated having a fridge and microwave and the room was well furnished. I had one dirty towel upon arrival; one day they didn't change my bathmat and the next day gave me a stained towel for a bathmat. Another day they forgot to re-stock my coffee and gave me a generic brand of lotion instead of the advertised Neutrogena. Front desk staff don't tell you about the little water bottles they give out early afternoon or cookies, fruit and punch around dinner time, but nice perks! One day there was a "host" gentleman greeting people and he was a sweetheart. Front desk staff need to give better directions. I asked how to go to Riverwalk, a LARGE shopping and dining complex. "Down a block and you'll see a sign." Uh, no. That would be walk THREE blocks to the Convention center, turn left and follow the length of it being several blocks long, then you will see a sign and walk a couple more blocks until you get to the place, which is several blocks long (but I recommend it!! Messina's has great food!) Pluses and minuses of the place. I'd call it "Convention Center" rather than "Downtown" I enjoyed my stay in New Orleans!

• Liked — Location near Convention Center; overall nice room
  • Disliked — Housekeeping Issues and mattress
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Great room for one night! We caught a cruise out of New Orleans. Location was very close to the Pier ($15.00 taxi fare), HOWEVER, the location of the hotel was odd. Located in a run down warehouse district. From a visitors point of view, it concerned me.
The hotel offered a Cruise package for $71.00 a night provided you show them your cruise ticket. They also extended my check out time to 3p.m. upon requested. The front desk were accomodating, friendly and very helpful. Showed us where to go and told us where to eat.
The room was nice, clean and comfortable bed. Shower was hot and the room stayed cold especially during the time we traveled, hot and humid (June 08)

• Liked — Comfie bed
  • Disliked — location of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stayed here for one night in March for a concert. The city was getting booked up fast so I got what I could. It turned out to be very nice inside. Very modern, comfy beds, flat screen tv, city view, and a very large room. I think we only paid $115 a night. The only downfall was that valet parking was $26 a night. You can find cheaper parking in New Orleans so it pissed me off that they charged this much.

• Liked — Location, Room size
  • Disliked — Valet parking cost
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

It was the weekend before Mardi Gras, and my husband, baby boy and I pulled up to the front of the hotel late at night after a long road trip. As a former resident of New Orleans, I knew to ask the person who made the reservation whether or not there would be parking, and she assured me repeatedly that yes, there would be parking even though it was during Mardi Gras. But when we arrived, the valet people told us the garage was full and we were on our own. Of course there was no parking anywhere in the city, nearby hotels had reserved spaces for guests-only (as ours should have) and there was zero off-street parking for miles. Not only was there no place at all to put our car, when I went inside, the front desk worker started telling me about her own problems, that she had to park illegally and would probably get a ticket, and that I should know this during Mardi Gras. Finally, after hours sitting in front of the hotel, parked in the middle of the street with nowhere to go, the parking manager said he would make an exception for us and "stacked" us behind another car in the garage. He was wonderful--but I can't say the same about other staff members. I sent a formal complaint to the CEO of HIlton, and it was sent down the chain. The result--the manager of this property called me and told me that they sent letters to the guests in advance telling them there may not be spaces available. I NEVER received a letter. And while she said the staff members have been told not to complain about personal problems to guests, after I hung up, I still had a bad feeling about the property. I will say the rooms were clean, and we slept well (with the exception of an evacuation due to the fire alarm pulled by one of the guests at 2:00AM one morning.) Again, I understand that during Mardi Gras there are severe parking problems in the entire City of New Orleans, but the Hilton Garden Inn should not have guaranteed me a spot.

• Liked — I like that this hotel has a microwave and refrigerator in the room because we have a baby.
  • Disliked — The lack of organization during a huge annual event.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Erica D, Executive Assistant at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, May 5, 2016
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied. We hope that you choose to stay with us again so we can make this up to you.

Thank you again.
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

I stayed at the Garden Inn while attending a conference at the Convention Center in New Orleans. For this purpose, the location of the hotel is excellent - maybe a 3 minute walk to the convention center. You can also walk from here to the French Quarter, though that will take you 15 minutes or more.

Other than the convention center, this part of town is pretty quiet...it's mostly other hotels in the neighborhood. There are several restaurants within a few blocks.

Our room was in nice shape - everything was very clean and well-maintained. One big plus is that the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave -- nice for keeping those tasty New Orleans leftovers. The hotel also has free wireless internet.

The breakfast in the lobby is a little overpriced, but that's to be expected with a hotel like this. There is a "market" in the lobby that sells snacks, drinks, etc. The staff at the front desk were always very kind and helpful.

It isn't a luxurious hotel by any means, but it's a great place to stay near the convention center, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Best Wishes!
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

This is a good hotel in a good location in new orleans. It is about a 15 minute walk to the french quarter and is only about 5 minutes from the casino. Only stayed in hotel did not eat there so can't comment on that. Room was very big, bed comfortable, room and bathroom were spotless. Coffee making facilities and microwave provided in room.

Good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Best Wishes!
Miami Beach, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2007

I was in New Orleans for business and the Garden Inn was a very convenient place to stay, located in the central business district. Parking was easy and I could walk to all my appointments. At the end of the day, I was able to walk to the French Quarter in under ten minutes. The rooms are large and well maintained, with wireless internet available. There is also an exercise facility and business center. A breakfast of eggs, sausages, biscuit, fruit and coffee was quite good and very inexpensive. The daily room rate was less than $100.

• Liked — convenience and cleanliness
  • Disliked — insufficient lighting in the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing such great feedback with us! We are looking forward to your next visit.