“Would not return”

Ranked #90 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Utica New York
“Would not return”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The proximity to the convention center is great and the staff are very pleasant. The room was poor. The bathroom was small and cramped, the carpeting was dirty and dated. Water pressure was poor and toilets flushed poorly. There were few amenities, no continental breakfast and the other food was expensive for what you received. It was noisey.

1 Thank lshaw2
courtney m, Assistant to the GM at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Ishaw2,
Thank you for your valuable review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and that you found our team members pleasant. I do apologize about the issues you encountered with your room. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping and Engineering departments, and they have addressed your concerns. Although we do not offer complimentary continental breakfast, many of our guests rave about the unlimited breakfast buffet which not only includes fresh fruit, pastries and cereal, but also French toast and omelets cooked to order, a waffle station, and a variety of other hot and cold options to choose from. I hope you will consider choosing us for your next trip to New Orleans, and I look forward to the opportunity of giving you an excellent experience on your next stay.

Assistant to the General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was there for a 6 day conference and was dreading it as they are not a 5 star hotel. I picked it for proximity to the Ernest Morial Convention Centre and it is excellent, about a 5 min stroll.

Overall I was happy and would stay there again.

I did not eat there, so cannot comment on the food.

The good:
I found all the staff super friendly and very helpful and responsive.
The room size is good, the beds were comfy and the bathroom was functional.
It was clean when I arrived.
Sleep quality excellent - beds were comfy (and I have a bad back) and the room was quiet.
Free wifi and decent connection so I could Skype my friends and family.
Nice lobby and bar - not luxurious, but definitely pleasant.
Easy walking distance to the French Quarter. Good cab service from the hotel to where ever you want to go.

Improvement opportunities:
I had packages delivered and they don't bother to tell you if they've arrived. You have to follow up.
No room service after 9pm. Shop is very limited with food offerings.
The daily cleaning was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes bins not emptied, carpet not vacuumed, beverages not replenished. Annoying but I can live with it.
I asked for my bath plug to be repaired 3 times so that I could have a bath. It never happened! I got a knock on the door at 6:30am (eek!) from a repairman offering to do it then. I asked him to come back later. Later never happened. The shower was fine, so I just made do.
The laundry facilities are TERRIBLE. The washer does not work properly (my clothes were wet, smelled a little of detergent, but stains did not come out) and the driers just don't work. I had hot wet clothes which I then creatively dried in my room at 11pm. NOT GOOD and potentially very stressful. The laundry service is ok but not timely and it is expensive. TIP - find another service place to do your laundry if you are there more than 3 days and need stuff done.

Greensboro, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Less than expected service at front desk and dining experience was least of any HGIs i have used in the past, and I frequent the properties with over 150 nights a year Overpriced for location and parking. Okay for business location, but poor for tourist convenience.

John S,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable review. I apologize that we failed to provide you with the service you have come to expect when staying at a Hilton family property. We pride ourselves on our excellent service, and the experience you described is not indicative of the high standards we strive for. I have shared your feedback with the Front Desk and Food & Beverage departments, and your concerns have been addressed. Although our proximity to the New Orleans Convention Center does lend itself to guests who are travelling for business, our guests travelling for pleasure also enjoy our location, as it is within walking distance of many of the attractions of the area. I hope you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to New Orleans, so we may have the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve when staying with Hilton.

upstate ny
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I told my travel companion that the only thing this hotel had going for it was its proximity to Riverwalk which I had not seen in 18 yrs. Guess what? Riverwalk was CLOSED. Until 2014. Did not think I had to check into that before I left home. Very poor location for seeing anything, period. Unless you enjoy expensive cab fares. And really I am so sick of hailing cabs now the very idea gives me a headache. Even if I was taking a cruise or wanting to see the WWII museum--I would not stay in this location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Sandrine66,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that our location was not convenient for your trip to New Orleans. Many guests enjoy our close proximity to the attractions of downtown New Orleans, including the WWII museum, the Port of New Orleans, and the Convention Center. We are about a 15-20 minute walk to the French Quarter, but many of our guests appreciate being a little farther from the noise and traffic experienced there. We are excited about the renovation going on at the Riverwalk, and we are looking forward to its re-opening as an outlet shopping center, which will include such stores as Neiman Marcus and Tiffany & Co. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to New Orleans.

Humble, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel staff welcomed all of us, costumed or not. They were very open and helpful. From the valets to the security guards, I felt welcomed and like an old friend. I would definitely stay here in the future.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked this Hilton due to its location near the port of New Orleans. It is a great location for a quick walk to the port if you don't have too much luggage. Otherwise, a quick taxi is $14 for two for a bit less than a mile.

The hotel is what you would expect for around $100. Pretty hard bed, shower is fine, rooms clean, entry nice. Check-in was slow on a Saturday afternoon. Concierge guys were great and very helpful. Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Second time stayed at this hotel. In the Warehouse District of the city. Can walk to most places. French Quarter is a mile walk, but can catch the trolley a couple of blocks from hotel. Some good restaurants close. Valet parking is very expensive.

1 Thank Cynthia A