“Convenient to the Convention Center and Renovated Warehouse District” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center

Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Winter Springs, Florida
“Convenient to the Convention Center and Renovated Warehouse District”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife and I chose this location because it was close to the convention center. We booked using Hilton Honor points for a 2-night stay. The event we were coming for got moved to the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner; but we decided to stay at this HGI anyway since we had a day and a half of tourist time before the event.

One thing I like about HGI's is their consistency from state to state and city to city. This was up to par with other HGI's. The lobby area and room were both clean. The staff was friendly. We didn't get down until near the end of breakfast the first morning and they had run out of some of the items they normally have, and the 2nd morning the toaster was out of service. Minor nuisances that didn't really affect my overall satisfaction.

On the plus side they had a "smokers paradise" behind the hotel where I could smoke a cigar after a long day down in the French Quarter; but I must say the chairs were not that comfortable for sitting an hour or more.

While this HGI is convenient to the convention center and the Warehouse District (and Harrah's Casino as well I'd say), it is a bit of a hike from the French Quarter, Bourbon Street and the French Market. My wife and I like to walk, so it was no big deal to us; but when we left the room for the day, we didn't come back until we were done for the night. If you aren't up for walking over a mile each way, then I would recommend something located in the French Quarter itself. If you don't mind walking and you want to be able to get away from the noise and activity, then this location certainly is a good option.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank REVoigt
Kate R, Social Media Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We are glad you found our hotel to be a "good option"! We're also happy to announce that we just received beautiful new patio furniture- we hope to see you again and this time you will find a much more comfortable, stylish smoker's paradise! Thanks for the review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Let me say we spend an average of $17,000 per year travelling. We know what we are comparing against.
The lobby and the hallways of this hotel are frigid. Not once did we see anyone without a jacket or sweater inside. You had to wear a sweater or jacket indoors, only to take it off outdoors and carry it around with you.
The hot tub was broken. We were not told. A hottub is a priority for us when we search for hotels. We walk a lot and love a soak at the end of our day. We would not have booked into this hotel had we known. Hilton has 5 properties in NOLA, yet we weren't even offered a pass to use another properties facilities. They do this in Vegas.
At check in, the clerk lectured our daughter on the evils of smoking. Yes he was right about the smoking but certainly not within his right to lecture a paying guest. It was not comment it was a lecture.
The restaurant has several Televisions, all on different channels and all on high volume competing with the diner conversations and the other TVs. Very Noisy!!
Breakfast food mediocre yet incredibly high priced.
Lots of pushiness from the "director of first impressions'.... am sure they must be on kickbacks. Personally I don't care if they are but WHOA..I dont appreciate the high pressure.
Good thing was they also work off the clock being your personal taxi if you want to go someplace.
The cab drivers in NOLA like to scare tourists into taking cabs everywhere.
I did like the location on a quiet street in the warehouse district. It's a 15 minute walk to the French Quarter....
I completed Hilton's survey about my stay. I have yet to hear anything back from them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Temperature in common areas very, very cold! Staff personality match the temperature. I am warm and friendly and chatty. This was not welcomed. Hot tub broken. POOR! We were not told and this is a main criteria when we reserve a hotel. My daughter was lectured at check in about smoking. Yes it is unhealthy but not the clerks position to lecture.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate the feedback and apologize for the issues that you experienced at the hotel. We always wish to provide the friendliest, most professional service and we are sorry that we did not meet expectations in your case. This incidences have been specifically addressed with the relevant departments. We hope to see you again in the future and ensure that you leave completely satisfied with your stay.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I read trip advisor before picking this hotel. We were cruising, leaving on Sunday and wanted to spend a few days in New Orleans before we left. Two couples and have never been to New Orleans. First of all when we arrived by taxi we we immediately greeted by Kevin Burton and every time he saw us he went out of his way to be helpful. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
Two others that stood out were Tasha Thomas at the front desk and Michael Weir.
Helpful suggestions for dinning, and safety were given. We didn't know Quarter Fest was going on when we booked but we we glad to be in town for a great celebration.

Only two complaints:
The first the condition of the hot tub. Looked like it hadn't been taken care of in a very long time.
Second the breakfast buffet was not the greatest. The gentleman who was overseeing the area was pleasant but I don't think food was worth price.

If back in NewOrleans I would stay again, but not use restaurant. And if pool area was still bad I'd complain this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It's an honor to host guests during their first trip to amazing New Orleans. We're especially glad for the shout-outs to Kevin, Michael and Tasha! Thanks for taking the time to review your stay!
Bryant, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I always park my truck at the fulton st garage during cruises out of NOLA.This hotel is right behind the garage.I was not expecting much but i was pleasently surprised.Nice rooms (with in room safes and good beds.The staff were great as well.This part of NOLA has some nice bars but is a good walk to the Quarters.You can always walk down to the julia st trolley stop and take the river route into the quarters.The trolley service is hit or miss though.Would stay here again after a cruise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Our hotel's location is perfect for cruisers and we enjoy hosting cruising guests. Thanks for the review!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We booked it because of a conference at the nearby convention center (1 block away). We checked in at midnight and we received our preferred room type. Having never stayed at a HGI, I was a big fan of the pantry -- a 24 section next to the front desk with bottle water, beer, assorted drinks, snacks which you could pay for or charge to your room. We got multiple bottles of water over the course of our 5 night stay and most of the time, the waters were given to us for free. Sadly, my Hilton Honors gold membership just expired prior to my stay but the front desk was kind enough to give us two free vouchers for the breakfast buffet which was very tasty. Omelettes to order, self-serve waffles, excellent hash browns, eggs to order, bacon, sausage and wonderfully flaky biscuits. The coffee was very good too and was available all AM and afternoon. It was easy getting a cab from the front as the door-person was very attentive and proactive in hailing cabs for us.

The room was clean with crisp sheets, plenty of fresh towels and free WiFi which is key for me. The pool and work out room are on the 4th floor. The work out room has a couple treadmills, ellipticals, a nautilus and a flat bench. TVs are on all the cardio machines.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is 1 block away from Couchon, if that sways you and is 1 mile from the French Quarter.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for "highly recommending" us!
Quimcy, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I would definitely check for a Hilton Garden Inn for my future vacations. I especially liked the breakfasts and service. Your staff were very friendly. I felt comfortable when I walked around the area. It is in a good location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!