“Nice, Newer Hotel with a lesser price”

Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center
Ranked #89 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Nice, Newer Hotel with a lesser price”
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I stayed here for one night in March for a concert. The city was getting booked up fast so I got what I could. It turned out to be very nice inside. Very modern, comfy beds, flat screen tv, city view, and a very large room. I think we only paid $115 a night. The only downfall was that valet parking was $26 a night. You can find cheaper parking in New Orleans so it pissed me off that they charged this much.

• Liked — Location, Room size
  • Disliked — Valet parking cost
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2008

It was the weekend before Mardi Gras, and my husband, baby boy and I pulled up to the front of the hotel late at night after a long road trip. As a former resident of New Orleans, I knew to ask the person who made the reservation whether or not there would be parking, and she assured me repeatedly that yes, there would be parking even though it was during Mardi Gras. But when we arrived, the valet people told us the garage was full and we were on our own. Of course there was no parking anywhere in the city, nearby hotels had reserved spaces for guests-only (as ours should have) and there was zero off-street parking for miles. Not only was there no place at all to put our car, when I went inside, the front desk worker started telling me about her own problems, that she had to park illegally and would probably get a ticket, and that I should know this during Mardi Gras. Finally, after hours sitting in front of the hotel, parked in the middle of the street with nowhere to go, the parking manager said he would make an exception for us and "stacked" us behind another car in the garage. He was wonderful--but I can't say the same about other staff members. I sent a formal complaint to the CEO of HIlton, and it was sent down the chain. The result--the manager of this property called me and told me that they sent letters to the guests in advance telling them there may not be spaces available. I NEVER received a letter. And while she said the staff members have been told not to complain about personal problems to guests, after I hung up, I still had a bad feeling about the property. I will say the rooms were clean, and we slept well (with the exception of an evacuation due to the fire alarm pulled by one of the guests at 2:00AM one morning.) Again, I understand that during Mardi Gras there are severe parking problems in the entire City of New Orleans, but the Hilton Garden Inn should not have guaranteed me a spot.

• Liked — I like that this hotel has a microwave and refrigerator in the room because we have a baby.
  • Disliked — The lack of organization during a huge annual event.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Erica D, Executive Assistant at Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center, responded to this review, May 5, 2016
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you were not satisfied. We hope that you choose to stay with us again so we can make this up to you.

Thank you again.
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I stayed at the Garden Inn while attending a conference at the Convention Center in New Orleans. For this purpose, the location of the hotel is excellent - maybe a 3 minute walk to the convention center. You can also walk from here to the French Quarter, though that will take you 15 minutes or more.

Other than the convention center, this part of town is pretty quiet...it's mostly other hotels in the neighborhood. There are several restaurants within a few blocks.

Our room was in nice shape - everything was very clean and well-maintained. One big plus is that the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave -- nice for keeping those tasty New Orleans leftovers. The hotel also has free wireless internet.

The breakfast in the lobby is a little overpriced, but that's to be expected with a hotel like this. There is a "market" in the lobby that sells snacks, drinks, etc. The staff at the front desk were always very kind and helpful.

It isn't a luxurious hotel by any means, but it's a great place to stay near the convention center, and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We hope you choose to stay with us again soon!

Best Wishes!
Ireland
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This is a good hotel in a good location in new orleans. It is about a 15 minute walk to the french quarter and is only about 5 minutes from the casino. Only stayed in hotel did not eat there so can't comment on that. Room was very big, bed comfortable, room and bathroom were spotless. Coffee making facilities and microwave provided in room.

Good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

Best Wishes!
Miami Beach, FL
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I was in New Orleans for business and the Garden Inn was a very convenient place to stay, located in the central business district. Parking was easy and I could walk to all my appointments. At the end of the day, I was able to walk to the French Quarter in under ten minutes. The rooms are large and well maintained, with wireless internet available. There is also an exercise facility and business center. A breakfast of eggs, sausages, biscuit, fruit and coffee was quite good and very inexpensive. The daily room rate was less than $100.

• Liked — convenience and cleanliness
  • Disliked — insufficient lighting in the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for sharing such great feedback with us! We are looking forward to your next visit.
New Orleans
Reviewed March 17, 2007

We stayed a week at the Hilton Garden Inn hotel.

We found the room very clean upon check-in and in good condition. The best feature of this property is the fact that it is one of the quietest hotels we've visited (good soundproofing between the walls, no door-slamming in the hallways). However.....

We found quite a number of front desk employees (not all) to be rude and disinterested and housekeeping left much to be desired (one night they made up the bed without any fitted bottom sheet at all, one night they didn't even clean the room, and one night they didn't place any towels in the room).

Valet parking is $20.00 per night but be careful because they will leave your car on the street for hours. Self parking is $15.00 per night but after 6PM you're lucky to find a space in the parking garage. Apparently, the hotel rents spaces for "special event/concert parking" and also allows patrons to a large bar beside the hotel ("Metro Bar") to park in their parking facility (charging them, of course) so there are precious few parking spaces in the three story garage attached to the hotel.

We were very pleased at the beginning of our stay but the longer we stayed the more problems we found and, quite frankly, we wouldn't go back primarily because of the rude front desk employees we encountered.

• Stayed March 2007
2 Thank nolaguest
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are sorry that you are not satisfied with your experience. We hope you choose to stay with us again so we can make this up to you.
Louisiana
Reviewed February 20, 2007

For the amount of money I paid for the room, I was expecting a little more than an up scale motel. If your looking for something clean and better than your average holiday in, than this is the hotel for you if your willing to fork up the extra money, but if your looking for fluffy down comforters and lots of pillows DON’T STAY HERE. There is a double tree a few blocks away.
The staff was very friendly if you could actually find them. Maybe it was just Mardi Gras, but they were quite illusive, especially on the phone. Expect the phone to ring for a few minutes before you get an answer from the front desk.
They have a restaurant, but it is outrageously expensive. $12.00 for breakfast seemed a little steep for me, and the food is NOT worth the money.
If you are not an early riser don’t stay on the east side of the building, because the curtains are sheer and you will get a great view of the sunrise whether you like it or not. Also, housekeeping is particularly over zealous and will continually knock on your door from about 7:00am on.
If you are going to New Orleans for an event at the convention center though, you couldn't find a better location. It is well within a very short walk from the hotel.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Ryreynolds22
Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. We hope one day you will give us the opportunity to make this up to you.