“Mixed experience”

Ranked #14 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Boston
“Mixed experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed here for Parent Visiting Weekend at Tulane. I had very mixed feelings about this place.
Cons: 1. Not that close to Tulane. Took at least 15 minutes to get there. I think would have been a better location if we wanted to spend more time downtown. 2. Weird slightly wasteland neighborhood. Although it says "Lower Garden District" it is actually quite close to the highway and looks pretty industrial. Nothing quaint about the actual street. 3. Noone was there to let us in for at least 30 minutes after we arrived due to confusion on their part about arrival time. We were let into the foyer by other guests but lost half an hour waiting to get into our room that could have been spent with our daughter. We got an apology but nothing else. 4. Breakfast was a disappointment - no homemade anything except make-your-own waffles. Just cold cereal, pre=wrapped croissants, granola bars and supermarket muffins. There was some fruit. (Maybe this is true of many southern B & Bs as I noticed this in another place I stayed in in NO).
Pros: 1. Inside the house was nice. Our room was a nice mix of old fashioned and modern amenities. 2. The pool area was truly lovely - like a tropical oasis.. We took someone's suggestions and got take-out mojitos from the bar across the street (a bit strong for my taste) and had them in the hot tub. Very romantic. 3. The people were very nice (though the lack of "compensation" for keeping us waiting strikes me as not the best customer service). 4. Close to lower Magazine Street and to parts of downtown. 5. Fruit and nuts were set out to snack on when needed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ellad
TheGreenHouseInn, Front Office Manager at Green House Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Hello Ellad,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this review for us. Feedback such as yours allows us to evaluate ourselves and work on areas that need improvement. Unfortunately, we are limited to a self-serve continental breakfast by city ordinance. Again, we apologize for the miscommunication concerning your check-in and will continually strive to improve our performance. We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and consider returning again.

The Staff of The Green House Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Auburndale, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Jesse and Frank went out their way to make my stay as pleasant as possible.

I was in town on a photography assignment, and wasn't in the mood to deal with any of the big chain hotels in the quarter. I was reluctant to choose this property. I was wrong.

The rooms are charming. The Inn is clean, and well kept. The pool is nice, though a little cool because of the shade. It was nice to sit out there in the evening and enjoy a beer in the hot tub.

There is a bar across the street. I was hesitant to go there, because it looked like a dive. Wrong again. The bartenders each have their own list of handcrafted cocktails that they designed and perfected. Honey and Bourbon with grapefruit? Yeah. It works. Well.

Its not in the Quarter. Its about a 7 minute walk. Totally doable, and safe.

Magazine street is turning into a restaurant/foodie mecca. A lot of fun exploring this area.
Off street parking was secure, as was the pool and the rest of the inn. I would gladly choose this establishment again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FlyJoeAir
TheGreenHouseInn, Front Office Manager at Green House Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Joe,

It brings us joy to hear how pleased you are with your recent stay at the Green House Inn! Thank you for sharing your personal experience in our wonderful city we are so proud to call home. We hope you feel that you have a home at the Green House Inn to come back to on your next visit.

Largo, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The Green House Inn is one of the nicest places we have stayed in a long time, beautiful facility, gracious staff and first class service. You feel like you are staying as a guest in someone’s home. The pool area is a lush, private tropical garden that serves as an oasis from the excitement of the city. Many of our friends stay in the French Quarter where hotels are “Hotels”. We will now encourage them to experience staying at a place that is so well run and so relaxing you do not want to leave. The clothing optional pool area is surrounded by and filled with tropical plants and is large enough to accommodate far more than the guests in the Inn’s 9 rooms, so you can socialize or just relax in your own space.
For those who insist on staying in the French Quarter so they can easily get back to their room late at night you now have a choice; you can walk back to your high rise hotel room or for just a few dollars take a cab ride back to your own private paradise. (It is close enough to walk but after a night on Bourbon Street the cab ride is nice).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tampabay14
Dear Michael,

We are vary thankful for your kind words about the Green House Inn and are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Our goal is to make every guest feel right at home with us, so they can "stay, relax, and just be." We are also glad that our tropical flora and fauna brought you serenity in our garden and look forward to having yall stay with us again!

Stoneham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in late September 2012. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again when we return to New Orleans. We liked the location being between the French Quarter and Garden District it was pretty quick to get anywhere we wanted to go. We were given some good recommendations for restaurants and also enjoyed the snack/breakfast options at the inn (toasted croissants with nutella each morning). The pool/garden area was beautiful and the hot tub great for relaxing after walking all day. We started a daily ritual of getting mojitos from the bar across the street and soaking in the hot tub. My only one (minor) complaint was that there was a rainstorm the morning we arrived (Monday) and thus a lot of leaves and debris were in the pool and they didn't get cleaned out until Friday right as we were going to leave. I understand they probably have scheduled weekly pool cleaning, but we were slightly annoyed to be constantly picking leaves off ourselves. We did seem to have the pool area to ourselves most of the week so that was a bonus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Corrie A
TheGreenHouseInn, at Green House Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Corrie A,

Thank you for spending your honeymoon with the Green House Inn! We loved having y'all as guests! Also, thank you for making us aware of the area for improvement. We will do a better job of policing the pool after rainstorms. We hope to have y'all stay with us again soon!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2013

From the moment you arrive in this gated oasis on Magazine street, you are treated to a professional, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Unlike some B &B's, you feel privacy not always associated with being in someone's personal home. The rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques and each room differs in their amenities like showers, baths, kitchens and closet sizes but one thing is consistent- clean and comfortable beds. After staying in three different rooms, I am ready to return and try the rest. My favorite place is the pool and hot tub, I actually don't ever feel like leaving once I arrive. Jesse, Frank and Charles are like part of the family and I have new friends after every visit. Many local restaurants with great food within walking distance, are take a cab Uptown, French Quarter or Downtown for an outstanding meal. Jesse was so accommodating with our group this past weekend- moved the furniture in the lobby to make for a great LSU vs TCU viewing - GO TIGERS!!!! I guess you would consider me a local and an experienced New Orleans visitor and for me this is the place I always want to visit and when it comes to check out time - I cry a little. I am in love with the Green House Inn .

Room Tip: Upstairs in the back of the property is more private and quieter. The bar across the street can get...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angel T
Hello Angel T,

We love our returning guests, as they become more like family with each stay! We are thrilled that y'all enjoyed another visit with us. Thank you for the wonderful review! GEAUX TIGERS

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am so glad I chose to stay here! While I was originally planning to stay in the French Quarter I wound up staying here, and it was a huge reason I had such a great time on my first trip to New Orleans.

Property/Facility: Exceptionally well taken care of property. The rooms were clean, well appointed and had all the necessary amenities. The property has tremendous character. The saltwater pool and surrounding area was wonderful - I had trouble leaving there a few times when we had preplanned activities.

Staff: Loved them. They were attentive and professional but very fun! They really helped set the tone for the experience.

Location: I originally wanted to be in the French Quarter, and was a little hesitant about being out in the Garden District but I am so glad that I ended up there! I had plenty of fun the Quarter (really... maybe too much) but that is such a high energy environment I loved coming back to my little oasis at the Green House Inn. Very walkable, close to some cool downtown spots as well.

Vibe/Attitude: I tend to not be the most outgoing person on vacation (something I'm working on!) but even I wound up making friends with a number of the guests. The atmosphere is truly relaxed but certainly not boring. It's more of an adult setting, but I found everyone to be very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sam P
TheGreenHouseInn, Innkeeper at Green House Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello Sam P,

Thank you for the amazing feedback and positive review! We are glad that you took a chance to experience New Orleans outside of the French Quarter and stay with us. Many guests, like you, love it's close proximity, but enjoy escaping from the crowds there, and unwinding in our pool and spa. We would love to have you stay with us again!

San Diego, California, Usa
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at the Inn in late July, 2013. The staff is incredibly friendly, the grounds are lush and tropical, and the beds are fantastic! Luxury linens and lots of pillows. The rooms have a lot of character, with beautiful old wooden floors, and beamed ceilings. The Inn and its rooms are adorned with antiques and eclectic artwork, reflecting Louisiana's history. At breakfast I met a few of the other guests around a beautiful dining room table, and had a pleasant time visiting with them. I got the impression that many of the guests return year after year. While there are other guests at the Inn, it is a quiet and relaxing sojourn from the hustle and bustle of the Quarter. As another poster observed, it is definitely an Oasis!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank GigiLJ
TheGreenHouseInn, Innkeeper at Green House Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hello GigiLJ,

Thank you for the Great review! We are happy that our Inn's amenities and our staff exceeded your expectations. Like you, many of our guests love exploring the vibrancy of the French Quarter and returning to our Inn to relax and unwind. We loved having you as a guest and hope to have ou stay with us again!