“Avoid the Green House Inn like the plague”
Review of Green House Inn

Green House Inn
Ranked #10 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 6, 2007

This place is a major rip-off and travelers should stay away.

When I arrived at the Green House Inn, I was greeted by a reservations agent and a very large, intimidating German Shepherd. After signing the credit card voucher, I was shown to a second floor room. The accommodations were substandard. I tripped on entering the room as it was almost one foot lower than the hallway. Outside the window next to the bed was a unpleasantly loud air conditioning unit that served the entire hotel. And there were guests walking around without clothing both near the pool on the first level and on the second floor.

I explained to the owner that I could not stay for six nights in such conditions but would pay for one night. The owner said that his cancellation policy allowed him to charge me for six nights. He said that when I signed the credit card voucher, I agreed to his cancellation policy that no refunds were permitted.

This place is a rip-off and dangerous, as well. STAY AWAY.

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank HVOG
TheGreenHouseInn, Innkeeper at Green House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2007

As the Innkeepers of The Green House Inn, we welcome constructive criticism and constantly seek feedback to better service our guests. We are surprised and disturbed by HVOG's negative review of The Green House Inn on Trip Advisor dated November 6, 2007. In 15 years of doing business and having hosted thousands of guests, The Green House Inn has never received a negative review on Trip Advisor or any other web site. In fact we enjoyed a 5.0 rating before this posting.

We are sure there are facts and circumstances that led to HVOG's disgruntled comments but none of it was due to The Green House Inn. This guest booked a deeply discounted Internet rate for a standard king room. He was visiting during a major convention, which he was attending, and had mentioned that he liked our location just 3 blocks from the Convention Center. He also told us, on arrival, that he had forgotten to cancel a reservation he had made at another Inn that was further away and was going to lose his deposit there. We feel this oversight on his part, led to this posting.

As we are an intimate bed and breakfast inn, we have a 14-day cancellation period and offer no refunds for early departures – all of which is fully disclosed on our web site, in the written confirmation we send all guests, and in the reservations agreement every guest signs on check in. This guest checked in, signed all the forms, paid for his room by credit card and signed the credit card slip. Although he was booked in a standard room he was upgraded to a deluxe king with balcony on arrival, all at no extra cost to him. The room has new pillow top bedding, Egyptian cotton linens, deluxe bath amenities, a shower for 2, refrigerator, waffle weave robes and its own individual air conditioning/heating system. We personally escort each guest to their room when they check in, so that we can make sure everything meets their expectations. If any guest prefers another room, we always offer them an alternative – if it is available at their rate. This guest never mentioned any dissatisfaction at all to us.

Our Inn is "pet friendly". In response to HVOG's comment that he was greeted by a "large and intimidating German Shepherd", only the German Shepherd part of the comment is accurate. Steuben, our pet, is 11-years-old with severe arthritis and has been with The Green House Inn since he was 6-weeks old. He is a lovable dog that has been adopted by most guests as their "surrogate pet" while away from home.

Also, we are an adult only resort and our swimming pool is European Attitude (clothing optional). This is displayed on our web site and there is signage by the pool. It is limited to the pool area. This option is each guest’s personal choice; but no one was even exercising it while this guest was here.

Finally, the Inn is an historic property built in 1840; it is 167 years old and is located in an historic district. It has high ceilings, original hardwood floors and a number of steps/stairs. It has been completely renovated and modernized, while still maintaining its historic nature. The Green House Inn has state of the art lighting, alarms, signage and safety features. It is a very safe, comfortable enviroment.

We always point out to perspective guests that they should visit our web site, as it discloses everything about the Inn. Our return rate by past guests is 73%. That in it self tells you our Inn is a wonderful, safe and enjoyable place to stay. It is our home, and we live here.

Reviewed April 25, 2007

I sceptically researved a room with the green house inn, believing that too much was perfect: the website, the reviews, etc. As I found out, this inn is all about quality and thoughtfulness. My room was wonderful. The staff was considerate and very kind. I felt valued and was given a wonderfui stay there. It is great to know that there are establishments out there whose end is to simply to contribute a great service to tourists. Do what you can to stay in this great place.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Kudo's to your staff. Catherine was a joy to spend time with!! The inn is full of warmth and compassion, just like the Innkeeper Jesse!

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Just got back from The Green House Inn. It was the perfect place to stay in New Orleans. We loved the location. It was close enough to the French Quarter to walk it; but far enough away to avoid the noise and crazy atmosphere there. It is in a quiet area but with many things to do nearby - including St Charles Avenue with its restuarants and the streetcar, the Garden District, the National Day Museum. etc. The rooms were very comfortable and the hosts helped us with a wealth of knowledge about the city. We loved the pool and gardens and looked forward to returning to them every afternoon, after a day of sightseeing. All in all it contributed to a great vacation.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2005

My stay at the Green House Inn reminded me of the B&B's that I have staid at in Maui and Costa Rica. When hanging out by the pool amongst the lush tropical vegetation, the waterfalls, and flowering hibiscus and plumeria plants you feel far removed from the beat of the city. It is a very relaxing and peaceful place. They gave me one of the new rooms that overlook the pool. The room was beautifully done and it had a good vibe. The bed was extremely comfortable (best night sleep in a while). For the money it is really a hidden gem.
Tim

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed July 5, 2005

I just returned from a long weekend at The Green House Inn. I can not say enough about the great hospitality; as well as the beauty (visual and spiritual) of the tropical paradise they have created. I was in the heart of New Orleans, but I felt like I was on my own private island in the Carribbean. The garden & flowers, the salt water pool and spa, the waterfalls - it was all there. I will be sure to give it "two thumbs up" to any worthy travelers looking to spend a few relaxing days in New Orleans. I will be back next year.

Randall

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Conway, AR
Reviewed June 25, 2005

I stayed at The Green House Inn this past Spring. Being my first trip to New Orleans - I left feeling like I had the best of all options in staying in a place that was not only extremely comfortable but also provided me with access to all the parts of New Orleans that I would have wanted to see and experience. I have been recommending it highly to my friends at home and plan on returning.

• Stayed: April 2005