Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Columns Hotel(New Orleans)
Alder Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Restaurant
Avenue Plaza Resort(New Orleans)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Henry Howard Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsb bjoe bebegarden districtfront porchsuperior seafoodgreat hostsfrench quarterstreetcar stoplovely homehouse is beautifulold mansionoff street parkingmagazine streettulane universityother guestsmardi grasthe perfect place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and two of our friends stayed at the Avenue Inn for 4 nights end of April beginning of May. We decided to stay in a B&B as we were under the impression there would be more personal interaction with the owners. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is imho lovely, the beds comfortable, the room was clean and I wasn't sure about the idea of continental breakfast initially but was soon won over by the home made cakes. We all felt the atmosphere was uncomfortable for the following reasons.
We were told to arrive by a certain time during the afternoon, and if anything changed to ring the proprietors to inform them of any changes. A 40 plus minute introduction to the hotel was informative but way over the top. As a group of 4 adults in their 40's we don't need to be told that 'Library Hours' are between 10pm and 0830am, we got the feeling that Joe and Bebe didn't trust us. This was reinforced during our stay when we were shown scratches that 'other' guests had made on the very nice dining table. We were also reminded that this was someones house but quite what the owners thought we were going to do here is beyond me.
On an evening we like to play a quiet game of cards, as there was no suitable table in our rooms to do this we played quietly in the living room. It was suggested that we might like to play cards at another hotel down the road where we could have a drink and listen to live music at the same time, this was taken very much as an invitation to be away from the communal areas and even better sat in another hotel.
During one evenings card game I caught one of the proprietors peering through the patio windows at us playing cards, I can only think there was a lack of trust in their guests here?. Again we felt uncomfortable when the proprietor started straightening placemats [which we hadn't moved] during our game.
Our last night in the Avenue was [as usual] to be spent playing cards in the dining room. On our return from a long day walking round New Orleans I was asked where we were going out to dinner. After explaining we'd already dined it was suggested we shouldn't be 'just sitting around' and we should be making the most of what NO has to offer in the evening. Having explained my ankle was swollen and I was in no fit state to walk it was suggested I could take a trolley bus or even get a Taxi. Again this made us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome.
I appreciate this is someones home, but, having run a very successful Inn with letting accomodation for some time now, both myself and my wife felt we could have been made to feel more welcome. I think our friends sum up the hospitality at the Avenue Inn quite nicely. "We didn't feel like guests....more like victims!" . I don't normally give reviews and do not like giving bad reviews, but in this instance I feel I have no choice. I do hope the hospitality improves for other guests but this is one place we certainly won't be re-visiting. [At which point I'm thinking the proprietors are breathing a huge sigh of relief].

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Doug B
AvenueInnBB, Owner at Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Try as we may, sometimes our intentions are misinterpreted. That's our responsibility, but we are truly sorry if we offend anyone inadvertently. On a positive note, we were glad to learn that the facilities and services of our mansion home passed muster. As for the cause for concern, we can only figure that there was something we said that was taken in a different light than what we intended. It’s not a matter of trust as was indicated. We were happy to have them play cards every night here. As concierge type hosts however, we are always suggesting things to do and places to go. So we would have made suggestions regarding going out and experiencing the city. Even going down to a very famous hotel only three blocks away to sit on the veranda is something that we would have suggested, but not to turn them away from here. In this case, the place where Brook Shields made one of her first films as a child actor. We do this for all our guests. So we were surprised to learn that this was translated into not wanting to have them enjoy our patio. Of course they were welcomed, again, a completely innocent suggestion. No motives behind the comment. Yes, we do ask folks for an arrival time. We are not open to the public and we must be near the front door to hear the bell. The majority of bed and breakfasts in New Orleans are not open to the general public. Most require check-in by appointment. We do have quiet time at night. A feature appreciated by those who retire early. It is mentioned at check in. Not everyone is familiar with library hours since few hotels have this kind of program in place. So we do emphasize it. Check in takes a few minutes longer than perhaps a hotel check-in since we go over how to use our door lock system and other appropriate items. If it seemed longer, it may have been because we recall that these guests had lots of questions about the streetcar system, dining in the area and tours. We also offer refreshments at check in and this adds a few minutes to the process, but in most cases, the warm cookies and beverages are appreciated. Contrary to what was said not returning, we would love to have these Inn operators back so we can demonstrate that all of their suspicions were totally misplaced. We hope they give us a call.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Beautiful B&B with very helpful and friendly host/staff. Lovely front porch and courtyard for breakfast, etc. Extremely convenient location w/the street car directly across the street. Also, it is a beautiful area for walks. Beautiful park not far (across from Loyola & Tulane a short walk or street car ride away.)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
AvenueInnBB, Owner at Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

So happy these guests enjoyed our mansion home. The comments about our property are greatly appreciated. Hope to see them back again.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The room was nice and spacious but a bit dark, we liked the free bottled water but were disappointed how little it felt like a B&B. It is really much more like a small hotel with its over 15 rooms and buffet-style cold breakfast. There was not anything offered what I like so much about B&Bs, like fresh scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, or whatever, just a bit of personal service in the morning would have been nice. It also wasn't neatly arranged, the orange juice came in little tetra-packs and this is how everybody drank it, not very atmospheric. The furniture outside wasn't cleaned and had partially bird-do on it, what made us walking back inside and take our coffee there. I understand that this can happen under the trees, but if this is the main breakfast area, I think you have to clean the terrace in the mornings. Overall, it isn't a bad experience, just nothing special like we thought it would be when we thought we would stay in a so called B&B not in a hotel.

Room Tip: If you plan to listen to Jazz in Frenchmen street each night - stay somewhere closer, our cab rides were each direction every evening about 25$, the streetcar isn't really driving later at night.
2  Thank poetna

We make every effort to insure that guests visiting us understand that we offer continental breakfast and not a full service breakfast with pancakes, omelettes and other cooked offerings. Guests have a choice of our dining room or going out to the garden patio. We have flowers in bloom most of the year and its usually the seating area of choice. We'll check on the bird surprises more often, but the chirping birds have been a positive for most of our visitors. We remember this couple and were happy to learn that they liked their room. The mansion is a single family home with 17 rooms. It is not a hotel by any means. My wife and I live here full time and our goal is to be the best hosts possible. We are sad to learn that these folks misunderstood what we clearly advertise across the web. We recall asking them each day if they were enjoying their stay and had no feedback about the full breakfast that they were looking for here. We ask readers to check out the positive observations about our patio and continental breakfast and then give us a call to book a stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our first trip to New Orleans and all I knew before going was that we did not want to be in a hotel in the French Quarter for $300 night. I looked up B&Bs and was drawn to the Avenue Inn. I am at a loss to determine why anyone would give this less than 5 stars. Probably should be a 6!
Joe and Bebe are wonderful hosts and gave us information on where to eat, what to see and visit, how to get there. We ate at the restaurant Joe recommended 3 times in a week and it is two blocks away. Equal to anything in French Quarter. Joe can and did recommend tour operators, and you can believe him when he says you will spend 6 hours at the WWII museum. Was very relaxing sitting on front porch with coffee and rolls in morning. Beds were fantastic. Neighborhood is wonderful. Street car line at front door was perfect for us.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room in the house. Quiet at night. We were on third floor in the front.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AvenueInnBB, Owner at Avenue Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

What lovely comments made by these guests. We really enjoyed having them in our mansion home. We do have a great advantage here in New Orleans because there are so many world class places to suggest. Going back three times to one of our recommendations may be a record. Hope to see them back again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Avenue Inn. Joe and Bebe are very friendly and helpful with suggestions. They even made me gluten-free welcome brownies when I mentioned that I can't eat gluten! The house is beautiful and in a great location. The only thing that bothered me (and some may consider this nit-picky) was I thought a little more attention should be paid to cleaning. I didn't feel the property was dirty; just that it could have been a little cleaner. I don't mind that it is a very old house and even with renovation some things will never look brand new. I do mind a layer of fuzzy dust along the top of the outlet plates (I told you it was picky.) The other thing that bothered me was the coffee dispensers in the dinning room. They looked as though they needed a good wiping down the entire time we were there, and they use a Styrofoam cup with the word "next" and an arrow on it to indicate that one should use the next dispenser over. This cup was splattered with coffee and looked very grubby...not very appetizing. It would be so easy to go to one of those pottery painting places and make a cute ceramic version that could be washed each day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate this guest's overall observations about the Inn. It did seem that they had a good time and they even remarked very favorably about our providing gluten free substitutes during the stay. We have made a note to our housekeeping staff about the few deficiencies sited. These will be addressed quickly. The cup that we use at the coffee station does get its fair share of spilled coffee on it. We've tried lots of options, but nothing really stays stain free because of the volume use. We have made a note to check this more frequently. We strive for excellence, sometimes come up short, but as this guest mentioned, these were insignificant items that did not mar the stay. We hope readers will take this into account and consider us for their lodging choice in New Orleans.