“Beautiful art”

The Michalopoulos Gallery
Ranked #201 of 379 things to do in New Orleans
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Very welcoming host, the art was spectacular. It was priced out of range for the average tourist, but a real treat to the art enthusiast of the unique architecture of New Orleans and James' unique capturing of it on canvas.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I was looking for a large piece of art for the house I was building. I didn't want a print or a painting of usual NOLA scenes like swamps, boats, mossy oaks. I like those but I wanted unique. I found him one year at Jazz Festival and knew he would be the artist for my painting. Once I was ready, off to the gallery I went. He used to have a restaurant/winebar near my house full of his pieces. So I purchased a 36x48 oil painting and paid more than any art I had ever bought. With tax around $2400. Now... This was 1994! The 36x48 paintings in his gallery now sell for around $15,000! Great return on that investment. Dang painting has to have it's own insurance policy! If you can only get a print, you won't regret it! I have several jazz festival prints he designed and cost 49-59$ and are now worth around 7-900$. You won't go wrong here!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 3, 2003

Not to buy a print (or even a poster, for the budget conscious). The use of color and texture, the obvious love for the architecture and vibe of the city, I had to have it. It was a strain on the wallet, but I'll never regret my purchase.

Leeds, Alabama
Reviewed March 2, 2003

I was attracted to this gallery after seeing a small piece of the artist's work in an advertisement. I was blown away by the amazing use of color, perspective and texture in his paintings. The thing that most impressed me is that Mr. Michalopoulos has in him the same strange connection to the vibe of New Orleans that resides in me. I intend to purchase one of his works eventually so I can look into it and feel the tug of "Vieux Carre" calling me back.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
pensacola, florida
Reviewed February 6, 2003

Everyone should aspire to own art as amazing as this. If you do nothing else in New Orleans be sure to visit The Michalopoulos gallery. His paintings are windows into other dimensions.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member