Best Western Plus French Quarter Landmark Hotel
Ranked #59 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Baton Rouge
“Not that bad”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed there to get away from the kids for a night. We live near Baton Rouge. I booked it because the price was so cheap and it was in the FQ and it was Best Western so I knew there would be some quality standards. The hotel is still recovering post-Katrina. The street it's on was eerily deserted. So although we were aware to be careful of street crime, there was no one on the streets. The room although very small was nicely renovated from top to bottom. All new furniture, carpet, drapes, bathroom fixtures, etc., nice big TV. The biggest problem was no restaurant, no bar (still being renovated), the ice machines were broken and the soft drink machine is all the way down in the parking lot. The pool was clean. The guests at the hotel were decent. The staff was nice. My husband and I strolled the outside balcony on the third floor which gives you an inside view of the properties surrounding the hotel, that's when you realize despite the present outward appearances, this is not a poor neighborhood. I would stay there again.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — no food or drinks
  • Tips/Secrets — bring food
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank themommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Reviewed February 13, 2006

We (my partner and a friend) stayed here in August, fortunately just a fortnight or so before Katrina hit. Its a nice hotel, very good rate and we would probabaly stay again when New Orelans -god bless - gets on her feet again. The lowdown:

Location: I guess the big beef with this hotel is how close it is to the projects on the other side of Louis Armstrong park. We booked before we heard this but i have to say, we never had any trouble. The hotel is on the frecnh quarter side of North Rampart Street. Louis Armstrong park is across the road and we were told that basically that behind and around the park was a no-go area for tourists. I have no intention to stroll round areas like that anyway so no problem. Its easy enough to just go out the door, turn left and head straight into the quarter. Bourbon steet is 5 mins away. We did walk home from Canal Street down Rampart Street one night..Again, no trouble but a passing motorist pulled over and told us it wasn't really safe to walk that way. I guess as long as you walk into the quarter and come home by the quarter, you will be fine. We certainly were.

The accomodation: The rooms were perfectly adequate for the price. Clean enough for the little time that we spent in them and the staff were helpful and polite. The bar was pretty crap and didnt smell great but then again, who cares if you have New Orleans outside?

All in all, we would stay there again and with a little common sense regarding across the road, there is no reason not to visit the hotel.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Muskogee, OK
Reviewed August 11, 2005

I was really suprised to see all the bad reviews of this hotel. My husband and I stayed there a week in March to celebrate our third anniversary. We thought it was a great bargin. It was one of the cheapest hotels I could find near the French Quarter. Our room was clean, the air was cold, and the staff was very frindly. Our room was cleaned early every day, and we had plenty of towels, soap, etc.

The staff was very helpful with tour information, directions, and resturaunt reccommendations. We also met some great friends in the little pub in the hotel.

We walked to Bourbon Street every night, and came back late every night, and we never had any problems (other than a few bums asking for change, but that happens everywhere). I would reccommend this hotel to any budget minded travelers. As others have said, you get what you pay for. Don't expect a 5 star hotel for $70 a night.

Overall our stay at this hotel was a great experince.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank okiefolks
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed June 24, 2005

My sisters and I stayed here 6/1-6/4. It was our 1st time in New Orleans. I was very nervous to stay here because I had heard good & bad. We loved the shuttle service. While I was here, we had no problem getting on & off the shuttle at the times we wanted.

I thought for the first time visiting NO the shuttle was perfect. We were able to experience the French Quarter, but able to get away. I thought 8:20 return time was a bit early at 1st, but it actually worked out perfectly. We were able to get back to the hotel & get some sleep before another long day.

I thought the hotel was very clean, they replaced the towels & cleaned every day we were there. Hotel staff was very friendly & helpful. We only paid $49.95 a night, and for the price the Best Western more than exceeded my expectations.

4 Thank kristen3218
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Perfect for exploring French Quarter. Only a few mins walk from Bourbon St. Perfectly safe to walk from hotel to the strip at night. Even if you do bump into a few drag queens heading to the gay bar on the corner.

Room was clean and in good nick. Not much of a view, but thats the french quarter.

Good sized TV, not that you'll have time to use it. Bathroom was a lil small but clean and shower had good pressure.

Staff were helpful giving directions (Thanks Wayne!).

Not the fanciest of places, but it is perfect for a budget break for those who want to see N'Awlins at its best.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank irlrobins
Reviewed May 24, 2005

We just returned from a wonderful 7 day sojourn in the French Quarter, with this hotel as our base. Without fail, every person there was friendly, courteous, helpful and gracious. The hotel itself is wonderful! Small, quaint, historic. The rooms were very clean and nice and cool. The courtyard with pool was definitely an oasis of peace and tranquility. There were four in our party and each of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. I would not hesitate to return nor would I hesitate to recommend this place to anyone destined for N'Awlins!

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2005

This hotel didn't have all of the bells and whistles you might find at a five star joint. What it did have was charm (the staff will remember your name if you're there for more than a night & go out of their way to make your stay a comfortable one), a great location (walking distance to everything but far enough away from Bourbon St. that you can still sleep at night), & a great atmosphere (the garden area is lovely, with a pool & fountain). Not sure why other folks posted being afraid to walk to the rest of the French Quarter from the hotel--I wouldn't walk alone at night, but I wouldn't do that either in my home town of San Diego. I felt equally safe walking back to the hotel with just my female friend as I did with my husband. The beds were clean & comfy, same for the bathroom. There's a great jazz bar on one corner, a cool spirituality store on the next block, & a gay/lesbian friendly bar that serves great bloody mary's on the next. The park is right across the street & that's lovely as well. I initially stayed here because it was all we could afford on short (2 week) notice but now I make it a point to seek this hotel out if I end up in NOLA again.

• Stayed October 2004