“Stay somewhere else”

Best Western Plus French Quarter Landmark Hotel
Ranked #60 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 27, 2004

We stayed there last week for 3 nights and I wouldn't really recommend it. We had been travelling in the USA for almost a month and had had a great time. When we arrived at this hotel we were allocated a room right down the back of the hotel on the 2nd level. The lift was very small and kept closing on us as we tried to get in. We got to the room and it was a smokers room, there was no way we could stay in it. I rang the front desk only to be told that was all that was available, they were no help at all. I then rang them back and told them that I suffered allergies and I needed another room. I was then given a non smoking room but it was small and dingy. They charged $1.65 per day for the safe even if you didn't use it. I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: September 2004

Southampton UK
Reviewed September 1, 2004

Well... I'm glad to see it wasn't just us who had a bad time!
We stayed in Sept. 2003 and had several problems with the staff. The cleaners "lost" some of our clothes whilst tidying the room and then nobody could find them. After two days of excuses, I spoke with the Manager who told me to write a complaint to Best Western! Strangely, when I told him that I was going to involve the Police, our missing clothes just re-appeared within an hour...
The hotel itself is on the edge of the French Quarter, but that's not such a bad thing and the courtyard is nice... but the staff still managed to make us feel unwelcome.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2004

Just to say that I'm glad I visited this site! My husband and I, who are coming to NO (and the States!) for the first time ever next March, were going to book this hotel on the strength of the info/pictures on the web. Also, we were advised that Best Western hotels were usually of a good standard, so thought it would be ok. Our second choice was the Maison St Charles (as a back-up), but after reading reviews of both, cancelled the Landmark and booked the M St C. Hope things turn out ok, especially as we've saved for ages to go on this trip!!

Also hope that the Landmark's management reads these reviews and does something about the obvious problems with what appears to be beautiful accommodation.

1  Thank CarolVBrady
Reviewed July 14, 2004

First, the hotel is not an ideal location...some 8-12 blocks to the major sites (a long walk on a hot New Orleans summer day). During my stay, there were constant interruptions from the staff because of cable being installed in the rooms. Several times, workers knocked on my door attempting to gain entry. The construction also blocked my exit several times. When I complained to the manager, nothing was done and my complaint was made to seem trivial. The hotel restaurant is awful. Don't even bother with it for the quick breakfast buffet. I give the hotel an "extra" star because I did enjoy sitting in the courtyard area next to the pool otherwise this is strictly a one star review because of poor service and less than ideal location.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2004

This hotel was not very nice. The location was "OK" at best. The "parking garage" was undersize, and most cars couldn't even fit in the spots. BTW, it cost $15 extra per day. Also, the room was dated and dark, the elevator was small, and the bathroom wasn't very clean. I agree with others that walking back after dark is not a good idea. My brother was intoxicated, walking back from Bourbon Street very late, and was held up by two crackheads that then stole his wallet, cell phone, and car keys. They then wanted us to pay them to get them back. This was my brother's own fault for being alone and drunk. The lady at the desk and the security guard were being very helpful - they said it happens all the time, and they called the police. If not for them, I might have actually tried to reason with the extortionists. When the "supervisor" came in at 7am, she was nothing but hostile and rude, saying that she would kick us out of the hotel if we didn't "get it together." This was the last thing I needed. I was not drunk AT ALL, I was dealing with things in a calm manner, and i wasn't asking the front desk or the security guard to do anything unreasonable, except call the police for me. This hotel is about three blocks from Bourbon Street. I don't know what this supervisor expects, but an occasional drunk guest is probably pretty normal. For her to act like the warden of some prison was highly unprofessional. I know she has other guests to think about, but we were simply sitting there, and I was chatting with the front desk attendant. There was no big scene, no loud voices, nothing. Overall, I have to say that New Orleans is definitely not my taste - if you like drunk white trash roaming the street, overpriced drinks, and stinky, filthy hotel rooms, this might be for you, otherwise, I'd skip the whole town.

3  Thank Markn99osu
Highland, CA
Reviewed June 7, 2004

The internet site looks lovely and relaxing, but anxiety set in after reading other reviews. Since they were several months old I hoped for improvement. The location is on the outer edge of the French Quarter with inadequate crowded parking, I had to park several blocks away. Check-in was fine, but the elevator held only 2 people at a time, with 1 bag each. I had expected to overlook the charming water fountain square per the internet description, but instead overlooked a parking lot and was advised that it would be another $20 per night to overlook a nicer view but there were none available. The room was small and crowded with a poorly added bathroom...there was a bump up seam that I tripped on getting to the bathroom and the closet door wouldn't close. The hotel room door required a wrestling match to open from inside or out. Needless to say, I cancelled the balance of my reservation and changed hotels. Do yourself a favor and stay clear of this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2004

I stayed at the hotel from May 13th to the 17th. It was nice overall,nice rooms, nice pool. However, we did have to wait until 3:00 to check in, they didnt let us in earlier, but did secure our bags. Pete the bellman and all around good guy will give you good advice and drop you at locations w/the shuttle, which at times was a plus. The location to the French Quarter was close, but EVERYONE told us (especially since we were girls) not to walk back to the hotel after dark. Although it didnt seem bad, everyone said the same thing, rather than risk it, we took a $5 taxi ride. Overall, I recommend it, the price was good and the location was good if you dont mind taking a taxi back, or if you're guys, you dont have to worry (not as much anyway).

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member