Open today: 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Cajun Encounters tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Cajun Encounters
from $56.00
from $29.00
from $92.00
from $92.00
3,571 results
All reviews wild pigs swamp tour captain greg captain al blue heron bus driver covered boat honey island small boat great tour hotel pickup laura and oak alley flora and fauna laura plantation french quarter ninth ward both sides
Reviewed today

Really enjoyed Swamp tour with Captain Emmett. Saw only a few gators, however it was quite a cold early winter day, and they were probably hiding to stay warm. Still the trip was wonderful---lots of birds, raccoons, feral pigs, and - eewwww- snakes. He made the trip interesting and fun with his commentary, and provided lots of good information about the area. Chose Cajun Encounters for the Swamp tour as they were one of the few companies I could find that used huge protein pellets rather than marshmallows to feed the animals. The protein pellets are much more expensive than marshmallows. However, marshmallows and all that sugar are incredibly bad for the animals. Boat, office, store clean and well cared for. Transportation from the French Quarter was hassle free, and driver Jamal was professional, informative, and careful with his driving as we went through some very heavy rain. Definitely a highlight of New Orleans trip.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Enjoyed my Swamp Bayou trip with Cajun Encounters. Poor mini bus driver got caught up with French Quarter traffic trying to pick up everyone at all the different hotel. Seemed like a big cluster. The French Quarter isn’t that big, so maybe there could be one or two local stops for pick ups.
Big bus ride was smooth and comfortable. The driver shared tidbits along the way during the 45-50 min ride out to the company.
Getting on the boats was easy. Tour was up and down a somewhat small area of bayou. Enjoyed our guides insight into the trees and animals in the area. Saw the head of one gator but it’s getting cold so they are starting to get ready to hibernate.
Saw a group of wild boars, one named Devo and one named Kevin Bacon. A group of raccoons were hanging with the boars.
Wish the ride was a little longer. But good time!

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

We had captain John as our guide, and he was full of great information and knew lots about not only the “critters”, but the vegetation as well (which I peppered him with questions about!)!

Since John’s childhood playground was essentially he swamp - he has tons of stories regarding snakes and gators, which were great, as it gave good insight into the people that call these wetlands “home”. Well done!

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

It was a rainy November Day, our last day in NOLA and we definitely saved the best for last. Captain John was fun, full of interesting facts and quick with the jokes. He turned our rainy blah day into one to remember. Well done!

Reviewed yesterday

This was a great adventure and unlike anything I and my wife did on our week long trip to New Orleans. We took the long way over the causeway as my wife had never drove over it as it was her first trip to New Orleans, the other way is much faster that we took coming back but both had great views. We showed up early and checked in and were able to check out a well stocked shop with reasonably priced merchandise. This is not a mom and pop operation in the swamp but a sleek, well run business. Massive complex complete with a large terrace where they assemble all the groups to be led to their boats.Tons of bathrooms also. They use a color coded bracelet system to manage groups as well as get those that paid extra to be bused there from the city back to their hotels (this is a pricer option but worth it I think if you do not have your own transportation). Our tour guide, Ryan, was very knowledgeable of the swamps and its surroundings and inhabitants. He also had the right amount of sarcasm which made it a very entertaining and fun tour. We had a blast and would love to see it all again as it was that much fun. Request Ryan you won't be disappointed. My biggest advice is when you pull in to parking lot go left to the larger parking area as not many places to park out front and it is a little confusing.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

We went on the two hour trip with transportation to/from our hotel, which takes a good half a day when the pick up time is 10:15 and between traveling to the boats in Slidell and wait times you don’t arrive back at your hotel until 3:30p. They have a souvenir shop with some snacks and beverages, but we went to Rouses (a supermarket) that morning to buy prepared sandwiches, chips, and drinks and brought this along on the bus ride to eat when we got to the boat area. We were very glad that we did this because the food there was very limited and we would have been starving if we had waited until 3:30 to eat. The tour itself was very interesting and we all enjoyed it. Our guide was too snarky and mean-spirited for my tastes, but my kids thought he was funny—which makes sense as the humor was a bit juvenile. From reading other reviews, the other guides sound better and more informative and I wish we had gotten one of them!

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Loved it! Derek our tour guide was amazing!!! Very informative- I was taking notes on my phone and I don’t normally do that- I have such a better understanding of New Orleans and wish I had done this tour when I first got into NOLA!

Reviewed 5 days ago

This was a fun experience. Got us out of the city - driving through the countryside. The hotel pick-up (& drop-off) went smoothly - we waited maybe 5 minutes outside. It felt well-organized - we certainly did not have to think about anything other than follow the co-ordinator's instructions.

The swamp boat we were assigned to was a covered one - which I appreciated! We saw this little slice of swampland and some of the devastation Katrina left on their waterways. The critters were present as so many others noted, no bugs, crisp weather, chatty & friendly guide. He was particularly thoughtful of the amateur photographers in the group - holding a position just so until the cameras went down. So glad we went.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

We had a fabulous time in the honey swamp! Captain Judah was an awesome tour guide funny and very knowledgeable. He had jokes and made us all feel very welcome and comfortable. We will do this again we had that much fun!!

Reviewed 6 days ago

The Plantations are well worth visiting especially Whitney which is a Museum about Slavery. However this tour is too short and too rushed and, for what it was, far too expensive. This tour is basically half a day and should be a full day to properly enjoy and learn about the Plantations. We did not have time to see all the extra displays, or go back to look at anything or even to spend time in the shops or cafes. Go to visit Whitney in particular but don't go with this company, even though the Tourist Offices on Decatur street will push this company on you. What could possibly be in it for them?? Hmm