“Something Different”

Ranked #21 of 232 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A 20 year old locally owned and operated tour company providing highly rated, comfortable, fun, and educational tours of the swamps, city, cemeteries, and plantations in and around New Orleans. We recruit and train the most knowledgeable tour guides and boat captains in the city, and design our boats and buses to be comfortable and safe, providing an unparalleled experience of the city. Plantation Tours: Step back in time and explore two of New Orleans' most famous plantations: Oak Alley, an Antebellum Plantation, and Laura, A Creole Plantation. We'll pick you up from your hotel and take you down the historic Mississippi River Road in the comfort of our air conditioned, air ride buses. City Tours: We'll take you to all the must-see landmarks on your list, including the French Quarter, Garden District, Marigny, and more. Our buses are designed for your supreme comfort with powerful air conditioning, air ride technology, and seamless windows for the best views. Swamp Tours: Take a guided tour of the famous Honey Island Swamp. You'll glide through gator territory and hear all about the swamp and its natural inhabitants from our highly knowledgeable, certified captains. See gators and wildlife up close and personal as you explore narrow slews that only our boats are built to navigate. If you want to experience New Orleans, Cajun Encounters Tour Company is dedicated to showing you the best the city has to offer.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I did a swamp tour. Our driver was great really nice guy and told good stories very entertaining. We were picked up on time from our hotel and then made a few more stops to get more people. It was very quick. Check in was easy and well organized. The swamp tour was good, safe, we saw hogs, baby hogs, snakes and alligators. Our boat driver / tour guide was ok and similar to other reviews I didn't get a feel that the guide had any respect for the wild life. He kept calling the hogs dumb and bragged how once he fed one a paper towel and the dumb hog ate it. That's terrible. He kept throwing marshmallows at its head. I wish we had a guide that appreciated nature and the habitat these beautiful animals live in. I wouldn't recommend this tour. I hear there are others with guides that really love the wild life. I wish we did one of those.

2  Thank Melissa S
CajunEncounters, Director of Sales at Cajun Encounters, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Hi Melissa,

First off, thank you for taking our tour, and for spending a part of your vacation with us. You chose Cajun Encounters, when you could have chosen any company, and that means a lot to us.

We appreciate your kind words about our organization, which we work hard on, and are glad that you thought the tour was good.

We are alarmed to hear, however, of anyone feeding paper products to animals. We tour out of one of the last protected wetlands in Louisiana, and nature conservation is HUGE to us. Hearing the "paper towels" note is of grave concern, and we want to address this with the correct person IMMEDIATELY.

Is there any way you can email or call us and let us know which captain you toured with? We must address this right away. My email is marica@cajunencounters.com

Thanks again for your time. We work very hard to create a fun, educational experience for our guests, and work with our team very closely to continually improve. Your feedback means so much. Again thanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,908)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I went on the swamp tour booked from my hostel before I realized you can get a discount by booking direct online and they will store do hotel pickup. I did manage to get a smaller discount with AAA card when I got there.

That much said this is a pretty good time catering to tourists that haven't seen alligators and snakes before. There were a lot more snakes and turtles than alligators when I went out of season last week (big guys still hibernating). They feed the big gators hot dogs and try to lure our pigs with marshmallows.

If you like birds and more wildlife and have your own car I would suggest doing one of the more intimate (yet cheaper) tours like Annie Miller's Son's on the other side of New Orleans at the Mandalay Wildlife Nature Reserve where I saw many more (albeit smaller) alligators but much more bird life and no snakes.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our Captain John was fantastic! He knew exactly where to take us to find the Gators and get them going. Answered all our questions and went the extra mile in making sure we got to see what we came out there for. Awesome tour and guide!

2  Thank DonicaC
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had the very best time! I took a combo tour of the Laura and Oak alley Plantations in the morning and the Honey island swamp in the evening. All the tour guides (2 buses and the boat) were very knowledgeable. Very nice day.

1  Thank TToplady
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We took the city and the swamp tour. On the city tour we were lucky enough to have Butch for our quide. He had an excellent knowledge of the city, was friendly and interesting. Butch made the city tour something special. We, also, took the swamp tour with Glen as our driver. He told us many heartbreaking stories about the Katrina aftermath. Told us much about the area on the way to the swamp. Captain Bishop took us our and this man had an amazing knowledge of the wildlife in the area and could spot a flea on a tree frog at 100 yards. (Hyperbole) We were fortunate to see Big Al, the 13 foot 800 pound alligator. I would say these were a must if it was your first trip to New Orleans.

1  Thank Dave A