“Very Nice, with the Exception of Erratic Water Pressure”

Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Ranked #99 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza is a well situated hotel at a reasonable price. It is within walking distance of Bourbon Street, the riverfront area, the Superdome, and New Orleans Arena. I got it for $120 a night, which is not bad for a nice, downtown hotel. Parking is $20 per night plus tax, which again, is not bad for downtown. Please note that the parking garage is small and not suited for anything larger than a mid-sized car.

I found the hotel to be very clean and quiet. I requested that my room be cleaned by noon, and my request was accommodated. I never heard any noise outside my room. My room faced the interior of the hotel, which is plus in New Orleans, because there's always activity on the streets. The bed was comfortable, and I slept well. There was a flat-screen TV that actually got a few HD channels, which is something I've never had in a hotel room. Lastly, I loved the single-cup coffee maker in the room.

Ok, so why 4 stars and not 5? It has everything to do with the title of this review. The water pressure in the shower is erratic. About every 20-30 seconds, it goes down to a trickle, and after a few seconds, it returns to normal. It's not a huge deal, but it quickly gets annoying.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially for people attending events at the Superdome or New Orleans Arena. The water pressure is a minor annoyance and shouldn't keep people away entirely when you consider the upsides I mentioned.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank JazzSinger8
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and issues relating to maintenance have been reported to management. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,316)

Reviewed November 18, 2010

We paid Sat $169, Sun $139, Mon $169 plus $20 each night for parking in the hotel basement. (located at our hotel, but also the closest/cheapest overnight parking that we could find , bummer!)

I only require a few things out of my hotel stay...

1. Good location - check! (one block from Canal St. and all the French Qtr action)

2. Comfortable bed - double check! (probably the best night sleep in a hotel ever)

3. Cleanliness - check! (beds and surfaces were clean and neat)

4. Refreshing shower - nope! (it was clean but the water pressure cut out every 30 seconds to basically a trickle, but at least it stayed warm. Management said that every hotel has that problem with their water pressure since Hurricane Katrina. I have stayed at other hotels since the storm and have not had that problem...I told him that too!)

5. A toilet that doesn't smell like sewage - nope! (So...as soon as we walked into our room, it smelled like, well, crap. We wondered, had the maid used our bathroom after eating some bad oysters? My husband and I are pretty easy-going and just figured the smell would dissipate. It didn't. I always bring Lysol for hotel stays and sprayed the toilet on the inside and out. This did not help, so we just decided to keep the lid closed at all times to try to contain the smell. This did kinda help, but for the price we were paying, I could just not let this go without complaining. The manager sent a maintenance crew when we were out of the room to fix the situation, but I think all they did was pour bleach down the drain which helped it smell like bleachy sewage (better?!) for a few hours.

Even with the bathroom problems, the good location and comfy bed really made up for a lot. If I were to go to New Orleans again, I would probably try to find another hotel, but would not be completely against this one if that is all that was available.

1  Thank Theredundantflower
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2010

Thank for your very candid and honest review. Issues relating to maintenance and housekeeping has been forward to top management and will be reviewed promptly. We thank you again for your patronage and hope you will come back and visit us in the near future!

Reviewed November 11, 2010

I must admit I was a little nervous when my friends booked this hotel because of the low rates, but the rooms were clean and very comfortable. It was just a short 5 minute walk to the French Quarter which was perfect since I think I would have lost my mind if we stayed in the actual Quarter. Staff was very friendly and had great recommendations for restaurants and activities. Only down side was that several of the rooms had windows that face an indoor atrium so you have to keep the curtains drawn at all times and there is no sunlight to speak of. Other than that I would recommend the Wyndam Garden to anyone looking to take a quick weekend trip to NOLA.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank crubegonza

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review and recommend our hotel to prospective guests. Next time you stay with us, let us know in advance and we can accommodate you in a room with an exterior window!

Reviewed November 11, 2010

Our last minute planning and unwillingness to spend a fortune on a room in New Orleans prompted us to stay at the Baronne Plaza Hotel. This was a great choice!. It has a beautiful marbled lobby and the rest of the hotel is kind of art deco-ish. This place was so quiet - a much needed breath of fresh air after Burbon Street.

This hotel is a couple of blocks from Bourbon street, a block from Canal, and short walk to elegant dining, budget meals, and all sorts of restaurants in between. There is a Japanese restaurant/Sushi Bar and coffee house onsite and both appeared to be pretty busy. However, we chose to visit the French Quarter establishments i.e., Cafe du Monde, Ralph & Kacoo's, Pierre Masero's, etc., all were a very short walk from the hotel.

The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable (we both slept very well), and the staff was great. Onsite parking was a huge plus. However, the parking lot was not designed for large cars or SUV's. There was a rather large pickup in the parking lot, but I'm not sure how it got in there.

Overall, our stay was great. We will definitely stay at the Baronne Plaza Hotel the next time we visit the Big Easy!

1  Thank BigRex
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Happy 8th Anniversary! Thank you for choosing our hotel and granting us such a wonderful review! As always, we are very greatful for your patronage and can't wait to see you next time you are in New Orleans!

Reviewed November 9, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. I got a great deal on the price online, and wondered about the quality, but it was clearly just beautifully redone by Wyndham. It was only a block from the French Quarter, but far enough from Cannal Street that it was quiet. I couldn't believe how comfortable the beds were. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank archergirl66_10
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! On behalf of our entire staff, we would like to thank you for your patronage and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed November 6, 2010

( Location was great! At first I thought it might have been a little far off from everything like Bourbon, Canal and the French Quarter..but it wasn't. Harrah's casino and The Riverwalk shops are a bit further, but once you get on Canal street..nothing seems far at all.)

From the first day we got there, we were treated great by the staff! Check in wasn't until 3pm, but we got there around 11am. We were told there were no rooms available at this time, but the nice lady at the front kept checking and a room became available! We didn't have to find anywhere else to go til 3pm check-in...we were able to go to our room and relax right then.
It was also nice to have a room with a window view of outside. The other rooms have windows, but the view is of the inside of the hotel...so make sure to request an outside view if you like.
The TV, nice flat screen and the beds/pillows were unbelievably comfortable! It was extremely plush..I could have slept there all day and night! The bathroom was nice. We did however have a problem with the water pressure in the shower. It would come out of the shower head full speed, then it would completely stop for about 3 secs, then it would come back on and stop. This would have been a problem if I were in a rush to go somewhere, but since I wasn't it really wasn't too big of a deal. If so, I would have asked for a different room.
We were down there for Halloween weekend and on my way out the door with my costume on, I asked the guy at the front desk to use a pair of scissors. He kindly let me borrow them and commented that people had been stopping at the desk all night asking to use different items for their costumes. He was really nice.
Overall we had a great stay at the Wyndham...I would definitely, definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Destinista777
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2010

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us during Halloween weekend. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your next stay with us even more memorable!

Reviewed November 5, 2010

We stayed at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, in New Orleans. Our Son got married in the City Park not far from the Hotel. The room was clean the beds were comfortable. The hotel was within walking distance of the french quarter. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only thing we missed was not having a hot tub or pool..

3  Thank jazz1412
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2010

Thank you so much for selecting our hotel on your most recent visit to New Orleans. As always, your comments and reviews are very valuable to us and we do hope you make our hotel your lodging destination everytime you are in New Orleans!