New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #94 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Houston
“I was impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I couldn't find a room in the city because there was a convention in town that week, but at the last minute they had an opeing. The room was pretty nice and the staff were really into helping me when I had questions. I didn't see a restaurant, but they said they were in the process of opening one. They also had meeting rooms under construction, so looks like they're making this hotel more updated. I can say I will be back for sure next year!

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review! Hearing positive feedback such as yours really makes our day! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Thai first
Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I made this reservation very last minute - in fact the day before we arrived. Then I read some reviews and began to doubt and hope for the best. Relax your fears - the hotel is under renovation - but that is only good for you. Whatever issues were there, they must have been addressed. The rooms were completely remodeled and extremely nice. Beds - wunnerful!!! There are some incomplete areas still being worked on - but the rooms were totally quiet and we never heard any construction going on. Call the hotel directly if you want to know about lobby being complete or weight room completed. We weren't sleeping in those spots anyway! Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Thank you for your delightful and positive review of the Baronne Plaza Hotel! We are glad you enjoyed your stay here and our hotel's renovations have been completed. Now we offer guests even more reasons to stay with us such as having a hot/cold breakfast buffet, a complimentary business center for guests to check their e-mails and print boarding passes and an on-site Japanese Sushi Bar. Again, we're happy you chose to stay with us and hope to you again on your next trip down to New Orleans!
Mandeville, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We had such a great time staying here that we can't believe we booked the room at the rate we got (but then again, we booked early so...). Let me tell you the staff are so friendly and accomodating and they really go out of their way to help you when you need directions or just a place to eat. I wish their restaurant was open when I was there, but it's not that big of a deal since there are so many other places to eat nearby. Also, make sure you ask for an exterior window room...we came in Thursday and even though they were booked up, the front desk clerk helped us move (for an extra fee). The rooms are so nice and look brand new and modern. I stayed at a hotel on St. Charles Avenue a few years ago and the room was really outdated and had old furniture. My only real complaint would be the public areas that are being remodeled right now. No business center at the moment, but the employees let me use their computers so that was nice. The lobby needed to be spruced up a bit too. Overall can't really complain too much and would recommend this place to people who just want a place to sleep or are just middle of the road travelers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank juliebeares
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
On behalf of the entire Baronne Plaza Hotel staff, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel again very soon!
Broome, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Firstly the hotel is under major construction!!! If anyone had bothered to tell us when we booked up that we would be entering a building site like this I would have told them to go take a hike (that’s the polite version). Oh.... maybe that’s why they neglected to mention that bit, silly me? Lets just pretend its all nice and cosy and we won't lose any money eh, bad, bad, bad!
I have taken some photos because I want you to see for yourself what a little refurbishment work actually looks like, please do take a peak.
"Oh sorry the restaurant is closed too, the refurbishment you see" said the polite receptionist....grr forgot to mention that to us as well. "Its going ***s up" I said to my dumbstruck partner! Actually we just turned to each other and burst out laughing that’s what can happen when you are left in disbelief.
So bomb site at reception, no food what next............. well cockroaches!!!!! yes the little blighters are here in numbers, but wait they are dying so that’s okay because they've been treated obviously (I suppose they could have starved because the restaurant's shut remember) well guess what they were here in the same spots day after day after day.....oh my god nobody is bothering to clean up! Think I'm joking don't you? Well there were dead insect bodies, rubbish and litter lying around for three days, all in the exact same places, bad, bad, bad. I know because I photographed it. Yes I'm ashamed of being so sad but by the time I was leaving I was desperate for revenge. Me bitter???? definitely. I knew people wouldn't believe me unless I could show them anyway so I started to photograph everything. I had visions of some manager coming on here and trying to say I was a liar or exaggerating you know how they like to play things down, Its business remember. Well the pictures are there you decide.
The rooms themselves are more like cold, miserable, caves, with the bare essentials in. Actually it's all garbage the only plus point is the staff, they are really nice. I feel sorry for them having to explain this joke to every customer who comes through the door. I really do.
Anyway I've had my say, thank goodness for sites like trip advisor, hopefully a lot of you will be put off and find somewhere not under refurbishment for your stay. New Orleans and its folk are really lovely, the Baronne Plaza most definitely is not! Don't go it's a complete insult to your intelligence. Bitter and vengeful, Chris.

Note - I’ve just returned from a tour in America and I stayed at 12 different hotels, this hotel doesn’t even merit a last place amongst them, it’s three below that spot! What I really mean is I have a few comparisons to back up what I‘m talking about. I just don’t want people to be disappointed like we were afterall you are paying so much money.

Top tour for me was the Cajun Adventura swamp trip, loved it. Takes a morning and they pick you up at the door. The VIP city tour was okay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrisuk1000
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
As always, we welcome all guests reviews (good and bad). Any guests complaints are always resolved immediately if notified to management in advance. On behalf of our hotel staff, we hope the comment above does not discourage prospective guests from staying with us. We are regarded as one of the top-notch service-providing hotels in New Orleans. In addition to our excellent service and reasonable room rates, we are in the process of updating our hotel's interior appearance and have taken the initiative to expand our hotel to include a total of 3 meeting and ballroom spaces. Come stay with us and see for yourself...we promise you will not be disappointed!
Madison, MS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We loved the offer of free parking, but the lot was full when we checked in at 3pm, which is when they begin check-in. We ended up paying $20 to park down the block. On the plus side, the staff was friendly, and the rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. We did not have a problem with noise from the other rooms. On the down side, the rooms are small, the view is lousy, and it was a long walk to get into the action in the French Quarter. The lobby is under construction, so there is no bar or restaurant, and the lobby is full of drop cloths. This is a good place to stay if you are on a tight budget, but plan to pay to park.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank blondemensan
On behalf of our hotel management, we apologize for not being able to accommodate you with complimentary parking. But as with all promotions, there are restrictions that apply and stated at the time before a reservation is confirmed by a guest. Nevertheless, our hotel is in the process of expanding our services so we can accommodate all our guests to the best of our ability.
Great Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

This hotel is under construction right now, and has a strange look on the inside--it still kind of seems like a cavernous mall and feels rather deserted. The room I had was very clean and tasteful, very comfortable bed, nice flat screen TV. But doors were slamming all night and the walls seemed very thin. I could hear everything said in the room next to me, and in the morning the construction crews started up their work and that was LOUD. I got a pretty good value on Orbitz and definitely saved a lot by not staying at the Marriott a few blocks away, which was where I was attending a conference. The location of the Baronne is great--just off Canal Street so a little quieter and just as convenient. My biggest complaint about this hotel is that the Internet connection (wireless) is SO frustrating. It went in and out all night, and I really needed it in order to prepare my conference presentation. Anything needing a sustained connection was impossible to do. I complained and the staff was rude about it, saying "It must be your computer." Also, one night I came back late to find my door key no longer worked. The front desk person was not very helpful and seemed to think I was trying to get away with something?? She said maybe someone was in my room and had locked me out--which kind of freaked me out. It just took a lot longer than it should have for them to give me another key...annoying. But overall, this is a good place to stay and will only get better when the renovations are complete.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank flyermontana
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As always, we welcome all guests reviews (good and bad). Our hotel is in the process of make interior improvements that we are sure prospective guests will be delighted to hear (as well as see upon arrival). In addition to already providing top-notch service, we are expanding our hotel to include a total of 3 meeting and ballroom spaces. Come stay with us and see for yourself...we promise you will not be disappointed!
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

PROS: The rooms were vice nice for the pirce you paid. Be sure to ask for a room with windows facing the exterior (as opposed to the interior of the building). There is a flat screen tv an up-to-date furnishings in the room. The staff were very pleasant and personable. I was having an issue with the TV and telephone in the room at 2am in the morning and they sent maintenance up there to fix it right away.

CONS: Housekeeping has the tendency to nag you when it comes to cleaning the room. If you tell them to come back in and hr or so, they will have front desk call you [again] and inform you that the housekeeper will be leaving at 3pm today, therefore she needed a specific return time. This was quite annoying when someone was tryign to sleep in late. The most troubling experince is the fact the the hallway/lobby/lounge/elevantors smelt VERY stuffy and musty. The air was filled with dust as a result of the renovations going on in the common areas. I would recommned that the hotel use only one elevator for cargo as it is quite an unpleasant experience to ride in such a close-knit space with so much dust.

All in all, if you can bare the few cons of this hotel, I would recommend it as "stayable" for an affordable price. I am sure that the dust issue will be resolved as soon as they complete renovations. It the hotel is also located 2 blocks away from Bourbon Street so it is very convenient. However, the street is very dark and lonely to way to and from the central spots.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank travelcarib
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad to hear your stay was overall satisfactory, but we will still pass along those noticeable shortcomings to our staff members. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!