“Worst hotel ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Rochester, New York
“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel with my family. The furniture in the lobby, on the floors, and in the rooms was old. The carpet in our room was dirty; the room smelled like mildew; the room was damp the entire time; and there was mold in the ceiling in the bathroom. In addition, something under the bed smelled horrible but we were not able to figure out what it was. We attempted to spend more time out of the room than in because it was so uncomfortable. This will be our first and last. Is it to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
All guests complaints are resolved within a timely manner as long as our management team is given the opportunity. Unfortunately, it appears this was not the case because if you were truly unhappy with your stay, we could have released you from you reservation without penalty. Also, due to the lack of information you provided in your review, our management team can not respond further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Pittsburg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This was a nice place to stay in New Orleans. Walking distance to French Quarter, Canal Street, and World War II museum. Room was clean . Unfortunately not sound proof. Neighbors had tv on so loud it was distracting. Thankfully they were only there one day. Staff was helpful with food suggestions. Good bang for your buck.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Hemet, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is Beautiful...But when booking they did not say anything about the 35.00 to park..There was a big concert in town so everything was crowded...no where to eat before 8pm not even at the Hotel...They weren't busy but the waitress didn't want to serve me so I left...When I did go to my room I called the front desk asking about what channel CBS was on...they had no idea...This morning, no WFI...I called the desk to reboot...and he said he didn't know how...no maitenence on duty...Worst customer service in 7 weeks of traveling this vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear sandymccluskey1953,

Thank you for writing a review on your most recent stay with us. Upon researching your comments with hotel management, we found the following:

1. Our hotel's website does state there is a parking fee and we do not force hotel guests to park their vehicle with us. In addition, all hotels in downtown New Orleans do impose a parking fee so if parking is a concern to you, there are other hotels outside the downtown proximity that may offer parking at no charge.

2. Though separately owned and operated, we will forward your comments to the restaurant's management team.

3. We will continue to monitor our hotel staff and insure they are made more aware of general guest inquiries such as the channel guide located in all of the guestbook directories.
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

If location is important and it was for us because we wanted to be central and within walking distance to the French Quarter and other attractions but far enough away from the noise this is a good choice. The front desk lady greeted us warmly, told us how to get to various places of interest, places close by to eat, and made us feel very welcome. There is construction going on directly across from the hotel daily, this did not bother us in the least as we were up and out early enough, and returned late enough to be not bothered by noise. The room was a good size and the beds were super comfy. The room was inexpensive. Those were the good points. However,
The hotel is very old looking and a bit run down to the point where (even though it is clean) it does not feel clean. It is definitely in need of updating and the upholstered furniture looks beyond dated.
The coffee shop in the lobby was not open when it was supposed to be and the counters and microwave were filthy. There is a restaurant also off the lobby, but we did not dine there. I don't think I would choose to stay at this hotel again, unless it was 'cleaned up'. Sorry, I really hate to be negative, this hotel was just very unappealing.

Room Tip: There are interior rooms, unless you like this idea, get a room with an exterior window
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. We are glad to hear your stay was overall satisfactory, but we will still pass along those noticeable shortcomings to our staff members. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our stay was otherwise pleasant but one of the staff members STOLE my wifi hotspot device. I accidentally left it to our room after the checkout and 30min after the checkout I noticed that I left it on the table next to my bed. When I returned to the hotel there was a maid already cleaning our room and she said that she has not seen my device. She was a bit nervous and few times she put her hand into her work uniforms pockets like she was hiding something there.

I tried to speak with the hotel staff about this but they just repeated what the maid said: there was nothing found from the room. Later on the same night was able to track from my Verizon page that someone is constantly trying to use my device.

After few days I took a screencap of the Verizon page as an evidence and sent an email to the hotel but they did not respond to that in any way. I was able to track from my server logs that someone from the hotel opened my screencap URL/link. I waited 5 days and the I sent email to Wyndham customer service. They also tried to contact hotel management. It took a week to get answer from them. They promised to refund 20 USD for me and I was not pleased because the price of the stolen device is over 100 USD. OK, it was my fault that I left it to our room after the checkout but the way how hotel handled this was not professional. They just said that it was my fault that I did not take care of my personal belongings. I believe that the stealing maid is still working for the hotel so please hide your valuables!

During the last 3 years I have road tripped more than 15 000 miles and I have stayed in over 100 different hotels. There has been some very shady hotels in the middle of nowhere and some of the hotels have located in not so friendly neighborhoods. This was the first time when hotel staff member stole something from me!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JackFin
Dear JackFin,

1. We do take theft issues very seriously. We interviewed our HK staff and the employee in question is no longer working at this property.

2. We did refund you a portion of your stay as a courtesy for the inconvenience even though there was no substantial proof that a theft occurred.

3. We will continue to monitor our staff and insure these issues do not arise again, but in the meantime, still encourage guests to store their valuables in the hotel guestroom safe as a precaution.

Most of our hotel guests have a wonderful experience and it is unfortunate yours was not. We wish you all the best in your future travels.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

had a wonderful experience at this hotel. the lobby is magnificent and the staff could not be friendlier especially the general manager candace. she went out of her way to make us feel at home. the rooms were extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. everything is in walking distance from the hotel and make sure you ask the front desk for food recommendations. we will be back very soon! there is a diner and coffee shop on the ground floor connected to the lobby so make sure you try their famous pan cakes!.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Nafir9
WL-DHR, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Hotel Baronne Plaza, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
On behalf of our GM Candice and the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review! Hearing positive feedback such as yours really makes our day! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel in located one block from the french quarters, so it's a great location if you want to stay central. When we arrived there where 3 people in the reception, only one was helping another quest. Nobody greeted us, we had to wait until the the person in front was ready and it took some time. Far from the southern hospitality at least when you're from Texas. Rooms are fairly large, beds where comfy, but the bathroom was not clean, found large black hairs in the shower.

There is no breakfast included they obviously have that leased out to somebody else, we had a breakfast for 3 with coffee, juice and a regular breakfast $ 47.55 is not cheap. So next morning we went to IHOP for the breakfast that was better and less money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family