“Unfriendly front desk staff”

Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans
Ranked #101 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 16, 2012

When I first walked in the hotel I thought it was absolutely beautiful. I was with a large group. When we walked to the front desk the representative was on the phone. She never smiled, or held up a finger to acknowledge us, or greeted us in any way. After about 10 minutes of us standing there she finally got off the phone and checked me into the hotel again never saying Hello, and welcoming me to the hotel. She never said thank you or enjoy your stay. When she was done checking me in she just stood there and I had to ask her if I was done. She was very unfriendly and even other people in our group had the same experience with her. I take customer service very seriously and due to her lack of customer service skills I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
wghotel, Public Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Baronne Plaza New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Tamica B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your most recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important. We apologize for the unfortunate encounter you had with this staff member. It is not our hotel standard and we will be speaking with the individual in hopes of rectifying the situation. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us (504-522-0083) if you have any futher comments or questions.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Great Place, great location,great staff ...amazing stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful 5 star review as well as returning to our property! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The "pro" definitely outranks the "con" here. The location was great -- very near the French Quarter, but in the quiet central business district, just a short walk from Canal Street (and a trolley stop). Our room and bath were spotless; the bed was perfection. The room was exceptionallyquiet -- perhaps because it was an inside room, with no windows facing the street, just the inside atrium. Everyone at the front desk was friendly and helpful. There is a small computer room just off the lobby where we could print our boarding passes. The lobby is vast and lacks warmth; there is a small cafe where you can get Starbucks coffee and prepackaged muffins and yogurt -- nothing very impressive there. BTW, the coffee in our room was excellent, as was the fairly large flat screen tv. Bottom line, for us the only downer was the ambiance -- or more accurately, the lack thereof!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed at the Wyndham Baronne in July 2012 and was able to obtain a very reasonable rate for the hotel. The Wyndham is a few blocks from the French Quarter but in a very quiet neighborhood. The staff members I encountered were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed was VERY comfortable. I would stay here again. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the hotel but had 2 issues, but they are things I don't think the hotel could really do anything about.

1) Parking: the parking lot is in the basement of the hotel. There is a very narrow, steep entryway that looks like you're going into a loading dock (there is only 1 way in and out of the parking garage). In addition, there are huge posts in the garage that made some of the parking spaces virtually unusable (see my photos). I had a difficult time getting my car in the tight spaces. In order to get into the garage you have to push a button and show your parking pass. My other issue with the parking garage is that there is no elevator to the lobby--not an issue for me, but it would be an issue for someone who was handicapped or if I had a lot of luggage. Not sure there is much the hotel can do about the space, but not worth $20 a night.

2) I stayed in Room 205. The room was very quiet...until around 6am when people began using the treadmill in the exercise room which was about 2 doors down. You couldn't hear it in the hallway, but I guess the sound reverberated through the walls into my room. I would stay here again but ask that I not be placed in Rooms 204 or 205. We told the staff upon checkout but again, there's really nothing they could do about it.

Room Tip: Request Rooms other than 204 or 205, and ask for rooms away from the atrium.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! We do apologize if the self-parking option was not the best option for you. Sometimes parking in downtown New Orleans can be an inconvenience, but we do offer valet parking as another option (and for an additional fee). Our self-parking garage can only accommodate small to medium size vehicles, but sometimes guests insists on parking their vehicle themselves instead of selecting the valet option. As for our fitness room, the normal operating hours do not begin until 7 am, so we will forward your comments to our evening staff so they are made aware. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

An older hotel, the Wyndham Garden was clean and quiet, with thick walls that completely muted our neighbors. We were aware they were having a party only from the hallway, once our door was shut silence reigned! front desk staff were courteous and helpful, accepted a package on my behalf, called for taxis, etc. The only restaurant there was sushi, not great for families. the water had a sulphur odor, am guessing there is nothing the hotel can do about that. Unfortunately there was no swimming pool.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Even after speaking with the GM, Mr Thomas, who reassured me that he would personally check the room after it had been thoroughly cleaned. The ice bucket was not emptied and the lid was on the floor where I had left it at 6:00am. The floors were not vacuumed, tabletops not wiped off, towels were simply tossed on the bath counter. Oh, did I mention that after a long day of work, I came to my room (11:00pm) and the door was open!!! The absolute worst experience I have ever encountered!Mr. Thomas needs to get another job if that is his way of checking the room. MR. THOMAS, GENERAL MANAGER, IS EITHER A LIAR OR NEEDS TO GET A JOB IN HOUSEKEEPING.

Room Tip: Run Away!! Do not choose this hotel. Steer clear of hotels.com they are the crooks that booked it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Terri5367
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Dear Terri5367,

When we tried to contact you to retrieve more information about your comments on our General Manager and Housekeeping Department, you refused so it is very difficult to research this issue further without the requested information. In addition, our General Manager has no recollection of your statements and our Front Desk and Housekeeping Department has researched records for the past 3 months and have found no guests complaints concerning guestroom doors being left open.

If you change your mind and would like to discuss your comments further, please e-mail us at wyndhamgarden@baronneplaza.com. Thank you and have a great day.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We just came back from our trip to Louisiana. This is a great hotel, perfect location, 5 minutes from the French quarter, great service, we would stay again, we got also a great price whit orbitz, a lot of space in the room and bed very confortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mendyBamberg
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

On behalf of the entire Wyndham Garden Hotel staff, thank you so much for the wonderful review! Also, thank you for posting photos of our hotel so other reviewers can get a glimpse of what our hotel looks like from another perspective. If there is anything else we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please do not hesitate to contact us again (504-522-0083)!