“FUN FUN FUN”

Ranked #14 of 1,964 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Central American, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Casual backyard party that can get as popping' bas a small festival
New Orleans, LA
“FUN FUN FUN”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

LOVED IT. Very different experience. You have to just jump in and enjoy. Great cheese and wine place, food was good. Great music, ambience. I loved the whole night. All the negative reviews you will see on Open Table , etc. were written during Jazz Fest. All bets are OFF in New Orleans during these 2 weeks. It's just not fair to judge a place based on that experience. GO, see for yourself.

1 Thank valndon

“Cheese and Wine and Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The atmosphere was fun, don't judge the book by it's cover. The outside looks a little scary but the garden area in the back is great. We ended up ordering the cheese and one glass of wine and one beer, it was more than $30, so be prepared to pay.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Tapas Delight”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Definitely not what we expected. We took a cab and the wife didn't want to get out when we got there. Dark street corner and the place looks a little seedy from the outside. A run down looking house in a run down neighborhood next to traintracks.

However, once inside, the tattooed girl at the register greeted us warmly and made us feel welcome in that wonderfully unique New Orleans way. Its an odd setup, there's a wine store in the front and the restaurant is in the back and there are no waiters(you order your food from a kitchen window and someone brings it to you, clears the table when your done) or hostess but the girl at the register was very helpful and informative and after choosing a bottle of wine from the store, we followed the sound of the band (which was light and jazzy and unique - like django rheinhart took a trip to Africa) out back into an eclectic looking courtyard (tiki torches and picnic tables).

Great atmosphere!

They have a tapas menu, which my wife really likes, but I tend to think is pretentious so I was a little apprehensive. We decided on about six items and everything was delicious (the marrow and olive plates were the highlights) and surprising filling.

Will definitely be going back the next time we are in New Orleans.

• Visited June 2014
Seattle, Washington
“I'd go back....”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We took a taxi from our hotel to Bacchanal. We found out about this place earlier in the day when we took a bike tour around the area. Cellist Helen Gillet (http://www.helengillet.com/) would be playing that night. We got there about 7:30pm, and found a table up front (packed house) out in the backyard area. There is no one to greet you, no menus out back, no table service from what I could see.

We had already eaten so that wasn't an issue. We went inside to buy bottles of wine for our table (there would be six of us) and some bottled water. It was so hot that night outside but the music, the wine, made it enjoyable.

What I least liked about the evening was all of the mosquitoes! They keep a can of mosquito spray in the back area and I think they lit citronella candles but I came out of the evening with about 20 bites. So just beware.

Someone in our party got hungry and ordered a cheese tray from inside. She picked the cheeses and it came with what looked like a whole loaf of bread. I didn't have any but everyone said the cheese tasted great.

Wonderful evening.

• Visited July 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Something different”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The night we went it was wet so we could not enjoy why I think it one of the main attractions - the outdoor garden area. I can imagine warm weather, wine, jazz ...but alas we arrived on a very wet night. definitely a taxi ride from french quarter where we stayed - a gritty vista of a railway yard - the advertised charm was lost on me. Friendly staff, very keen to assist in selecting wine. I have to say there was an extensive selection of wine but no list or tasting notes and as a first time visitor with a reasonably well formed view on my wines and interest in trying new wines it struck me as not well set up to that clientele. The crowd seemed in the age group 20's to 30's so to be fair maybe that is what the pitch is. The wine medium priced and the offer reflecting that - we enjoyed the wine we had but it was not a knockout. The cheese plate was excellent - self select cheese and beautifully put together. A place to go with a few friends- if a serious wine/jazz lover suggest there are better places closer to base where you can walk.