“Best value-per-dollar hotel in this part of town”

Four Points By Sheraton French Quarter
Ranked #57 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I've visited the French Quarter more times than I can count, as it's the closest place to home that actually feels like a vacation. Initially, I'd stay outside of town, drive in and then park in a lot on Decatur, walk around, do stuff and drive back to the hotel. Normally, it's an effective strategy - there's no reason you have to sleep in the midst of the action to enjoy a place, and getting a hotel a little further out is usually a big savings... but there are a few exceptions. The FQ (aka Vieux Carre or "voo kerr-ay") is definitely one of them. This is one of the best-preserved neighborhoods in the country, and even modernized as it is, still provides that immersive historical experience very few spots can. It is absolutely worth a little extra to stay here.

I'm not a partier and would never have planned to stay right on Bourbon, but this hotel was assigned as a blind choice on a discount travel website. Frankly, I was a little nervous when I saw where it was. Most people go to Bourbon to drink, and I was worried it would be shabby and loud. The other concern was from where I saw other reviews that mentioned inordinately high credit card holds, but it sounds like those were just glitches. If you have any question, just ask when you check in exactly what the hold amount will be - ours was minimal. We did not eat at the cafe, but it looked really nice, and the holiday decorations were beautiful. Our neighbors barreled in around midnight (on a weeknight), a group of adults with kids in two or three rooms total. They were carrying on, opening and slamming hallway doors repeatedly, and talking so loud I could hear every word of their conversations on the other side of the wall. They weren't drunk; just incredibly inconsiderate, so if you're unlucky enough to be in a room next to someone like this, don't hesitate to call the front desk. I waited a while for them to settle down and then finally called. They sent security up immediately, and that took care of it. (Important note: the room on the other side of us was also occupied, but there wasn't a peep from those folks, so it's not like this level of noise is standard.)

I honestly was not expecting much, but it was a fantastic experience, and I've never been so happy to be wrong. The hotel is immaculate, the lobby is elegant and well-kept, and the staff were great. Our room was on the 5th floor courtyard side (very important, if you don't want a lot of noise) and though small, it was perfectly kept and had all we needed. The beds were incredible, and something I'd expect at a hotel that cost several times as much - I've never seen linens and towels so white. The tiny bathroom was very well-planned, with a wide counter, narrow double doors to save space (such a clever option) and shampoo/conditioner/gel dispensers right on the shower wall. I still can't get over the ratio of what you get to what you spend. It was ridiculous. I have paid far more for much lower quality right here in the FQ, so if you're considering this hotel, definitely, click that reserve button. You'll be very happy you chose this place.

A few general things to bear in mind, to make your experience more enjoyable:
1. This area has been continuously occupied for over 300 years. Most of the buildings are 200+ years old.
2. Old buildings often have narrow halls, thin walls, slanted floors, curious layouts or small bathrooms. These traits are *not* flaws. Even the best restorations have to fit within existing architectural parameters. Quirks like this are part of the fun, so enjoy the adventure.
3. There are several high-rise hotels on the western edge, along Canal or right on the water. If you want the standard modern hotel experience, those may be a better choice for you. Just don't expect it right there on Royal, Bourbon or Chartres.
4. The roads in the FQ are tiny and all one-way. They were built for carriages, not SUVs, so be patient with traffic, keep an eye out for pedestrians and just enjoy being there.
5. Yes, parking is expensive. This is normal here. Almost every hotel charges for it, often around $30 per night, so factor that in to the cost of the hotel. We recommend tipping the valet about $5 every time they handle your car. These people work hard and are underpaid. You can also reserve 24 hour parking at a structure a block away (not sure if I can say the brand name in this review, but the company initials are PP, so just google "overnight parking french quarter" and make a reservation online). I liked not having to worry about getting the car by hotel checkout time, and we had a few more hours to walk around.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chalupacabra
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed here during a non-peak weekend, and my room was a second floor balcony on Bourbon Street. The doors to the balcony are french doors that do not seal when they close. This means that much of the noise below you comes clearly into the room. So, if you are not ok with that, and if you plan on sleeping before 3am and very loud noise bothers you, then you MUST ask for a room not on Bourbon. For me, this was not a problem because I wasn't looking to sleep early and the noise didn't bother me. It's hard to beat this location, with the quality of the rooms. I found it funny that for as much noise as I heard outside, I never heard any noise from the rooms around me, and the hotel was full that weekend. The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms are clean. Overall, if the price is right, I would stay here again and again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We were only in town for one night, and chose this hotel due to its location in the heart of the French Quarter. As I do with all hotel reviews I write, I critique the check-in service, bell service and the overall cleanliness. Upon arrival, we were greeted by someone from bell services, who stored our luggage for us, until we retrieved it later in the day. After checking in and reaching our floor, I noticed how clean the hallways' walls are, as well as the carpet (at least in the areas we walked).

When entering the room, I was impressed with the cleanliness and furniture style, as well as the comfort of the bed. We had an issue with our TV, and it was resolved without hesitation. This is an old building, which is fine, but they need to update their bathrooms, from the sinks and counters, to the toilets.

Overall, we liked the hotel, and would stay there again if wanting to stay in the French Quarter for a future visit.

Room Tip: Be aware that there's lots of people in the street all night partying. If you're looking for...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed here for a day and were thoroughly impressed. To start with, the hotel is directly on Bourbon St, so you are as close as you can get to the French Quarter. While Bourbon St tends to be a bit noisy, the hotel is an oasis. It's quiet lobby and comfortable bar and restaurant, the Opera House, give the feel of a sort of respite from the noise outside.

The Opera House bar is quite nice as well. In addition to the wide variety of drinks, local specialties such as gumbo and bread pudding were available.

Staff is superb. Both at front desk and at bar they treated us with the Southern hospitality that would make Louisianans proud, while still maintaining the professionalism of an upscale hotel.

Finally, the rooms are excellent. While the building is old (as are most in the area), the renovations have done a good job to make it a comfortable place. In contrast to Marriott or Hilton gives you the comforts of a 4 star hotel while still maintaining its location in a New Olreans historical setting.

I couldn't recommend this place more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank landonroussel
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Everything was wonderful! From the moment we arrived til the day we left. The location is absolutely ideal!! The staff was very friendly and very helpful at all times. people went out of their way to be helpful. It was fun to just sit in the loby - have a glass of wine and meet and chat with people feom all over the US.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Four Points By Sheraton French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear ReneeStone,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our close to the action location on Bourbon Street. We are especially happy to hear that the staff was helpful and friendly during your stay as well. We look forward to having you back the next time that you are in NOLA.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

...literally! I guess I didn't realize how busy Bourbon street was because my room faced the street and the noise was non-stop! I'm a sound sleeper and am from NYC so I was quite used to it so it wasn't a problem for me. but if you want quiet, this is definitely not the place to be, but if you are looking for a place on Bourbon street, you are probably not looking for quite. Apart from that, the location is great. Close to everything, the rest of French quarter, a tram ride away from garden district, Frenchmen street, etc. The staff was great and helpful. My room was very clean but looked a bit outdated, in a sort of dingy way, not a calculated look and feel to replicate a certain era, which belies the statement of the overall hotel architecture and grandeur from the outside, but you could do far worse than here!

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper you may want to request a room that isn't street facing.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel. Great location. Exceptional service. Attentive staff. Well above expectations Best service I have had in a long time. Well managed rooms are very comfortable. With choices of pool or Bourbon street views. Food excellent

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear julie-smaroochydore,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the rooms to your liking. I am especially glad to hear that the staff was so helpful and friendly too. We hope that the next time you are in the French Quarter you will stay with us again.