“A Pleasant Find” 4 of 5 stars

and up
New Orleans Airboat and Machine Gun Shooting Tour
Ranked #20 of 318 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Nature reserve, consisting of several sections, preserves significant examples of the natural and cultural resources of the Mississippi Delta region.
Windsor, Colorado
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“A Pleasant Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stumbled upon the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve while walking to Jackson Square. I walked by and then turned around and decided to check it out. The guy behind the counter asked if I was there for the tour. I didn't know about a tour so I asked to what it was about. He told me it was about the history of the area and since I was killing time until my flight, I decided to do it. It's not a tour some much to see things, but its a tour to learn things. We met in a conference room at the back of their visitor center off a courtyard. We learned some history and then walked out to the Mississippi River and learned about how New Orleans was founded and how it changed hands over the years. We then walked to the French Market and back to the viewing point for Jackson Square. The history learned was well worth the time for the tour. I'd recommend it.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank RLMartin

• Polish first
Kent, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Simple fun in the swamp!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I enjoyed this very much as a break from all the busy activity of the city. Restorative. First time to a swamp. Peaceful and quiet!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank travel10mlt
Sanford, Florida
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“National Park Service visitor centerin the French Quarter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you like history then this is a terrific stop for a dose. Administered by the U.S. National Park Service (this should be a clue as to quality and accuracy) I would highly recommend paying a visit....you won't be disappointed. The Jean Lafitte Historical Park and Preserve is multi-faceted and I suggest that anyone interested Google the above for more information on all interesting venues under this umbrella.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Benny C
New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Our FAVORITE spot :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Jean Lafitte's for YEARS! When we want to enjoy a sunny afternoon outside looking at the gators and wildlife, or just want to go hiking in the winter to get some quality time together.. this is where we go. We've been bringing friends new in town that have never seen the swamp as well! In our opinion, this is the best place to go to look at the REAL swamp. Not what the tourist guides show you. I've been there so many times but I just can't get enough :) It's a long walk but the very end of the boardwalk is the BEST part for the incredible view!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Christine S
Key West, Florida
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Haunted swamp tour was not scary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I marked this as average. I'm sure the daily swamp tours are awesome, but this review is of the haunted swamp tours they have in oct on the weekends. The staff was great and helpful, they show you a baby gator, there is a Nutria and bigger alligators on display. There is live music and food and drinks at the dock. When you go on the tour, It is a little boring and not really scary for adults. The ticket was 25.00. The boat ride was fun, but it was really just not scary at all. This would probably be big fun for nine and ten year olds.