“Loved this tour!!”

Racontours
Ranked #8 of 48 Food & Drink in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Racontours, New Orleans is a walking tour company dedicated to sharing stories in an immersive Southern experience. Our tours are for story lovers and history buffs alike whose curiosity goes beyond mere linear dates and facts. While we offer 2 tours, we can only provide 1 tour a day on a first come first served basis. Reservations must be made with a minimum 24 hours advance notice. Our Garden District tour is a 6 hour experience that includes a 4 course lunch at the world renowned Commanders Palace! Our Voodoo tour is a 4-5 hour experience which takes place in the French Quarter. It is a fun and touching examination of how this often misunderstood ancient African faith evolved with the residents of the Vieux Carre, into what is now known as New Orleans Voodoo. Each walking tour concludes in an above ground cemetery. Join Racontours and discover the passions, loves, deceits and betrayals, that took place in our garden, below the sea. Thank you for your interest..and get ready to slow your roll!
Burlington, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved this tour!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

On our recent visit to NOLA, my husband and I decided to take a walking tour of the Garden District given by Racontours. It was one of the highlights of our trip! Our guide, Tree, was a superb storyteller and made the history of the area come to life. The culmination of the walking tour was lunch at Commander’s Palace. The meal was delicious and Tree made it very special by his thoughtful touches to the table. We would highly recommend this tour --an enjoyable, knowledgeable, entertaining and culinary delight!! Thanks,Tree, for being such a great tour guide and host for the city!

1 Thank Sharon_McCracken

New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“You must do this tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked this tour based on Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. Tree is a one man operation so try to arrange it before you leave. His knowledge and history of the Garden District is very impressive and his energy, enthusiasm and love of the city shine through. He even has folding stools that you can sit on while he tells his stories!! Didn't think I would need one but they were great too. It started raining very hard towards the end of our tour and we tried to continue but eventually had to make our way to Commander's Palace where Tree happily filled us in on what we did not see. Our meal and the tour of Commander's Palace were excellent. A perfect way to end the tour. One last note: due to the heavy rain, it was very hard to get a cab back to our hotel. Tree insisted on staying with my daughter and I until a cab came. After he called several times and a cab still did not come, he went to get his car to drive us back! While he was getting his car a cab came. I would like to thank Tree for taking such good care of us and sharing his stories of NOLA and its history.

1 Thank gibber
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“"Tree"mendous!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I took my parents to N.O. to celebrate their 70th birthdays last week. As always, I depend on Trip Advisor to guide me when I plan hotels, activities, tours and restaurants. I chose "Racontours" based on all of the excellent reviews. Tree (yes, that is his REAL name. If you want to hear more, you have to take the tour) was informative, energetic, exciting, thorough, considerate and professional. He shares an abundance of information about the history of N.O. and the beautiful Garden District. He provides hand-held chairs for his guests, and takes this tour through quaint neighborhoods, and the Lafayette Cemetery. Commander's Palace was delicious and filling. Did I mention that the martinis are included? "Louder".... Did I mention that the martinis are INCLUDED? Tree had decorated out group's lunch table with birthday balloons for my parents' special occasion. The service at Commander's Palace was prompt and first-class all the way. Tree was an incredible story-teller with a wealth of knowledge and historical detail. You can tell that he is passionate about history, New Orleans, and his company. He was such a pleasure with whom to spend the day. THANK YOU, TREE, you are a very unique person with a special talent of entertaining your guests for hours on end. Sincerely, Kristina, Mike, Grace and Andy

1 Thank Goozie40
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tree is the man! Tree is the man! Take this tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Awesome tour. The day spent with Tree was amazing. He is knowledgeable, fun and vibrant. The stories are well researched and his delivery dramatic. Don't think twice. Book his tour. Commanders Palace and Tree are a hit!

Gig Harbor, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Don't be disappointed...book it before you go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have been home in "sunny" Seattle for a week now and are still savoring our NOLA experience with our "Treemendous" guide and his Racontours. My husband, Joe, and I were in New Orleans for business and pleasure. I have visited several times over the last decade (pre-Katrina) and we shared a Super Bowl experience in the early '90's. We had done Bourbon Street, had our cards read in Jackson Square, devoured beignets, and cruised the River on a jazz tour paddle wheeler, I turned to TripAdvisor searching for a different take on NOLA. Ranked #3 by fellow travelers, Racontours stood out as a possibility. Still, I hesitated. The price seemed a little steep. But, with only one free day in our schedule, on Tuesday I called for a Wednesday tour. Our luck gave us 2 spots for the 10 AM Garden District tour followed by lunch at The Commander's Palace.
We were "Treeted" to a 5-star experience. As an educator, I appreciated the time Tree spent researching, studying and, then, delivering his fabulous Garden District information. His storylines were easy to follow and his sense of humor, delightful. He knows his stuff, and I marveled at how he summoned the energy for each day's tour. Although, not a native, he loves this city and the city loves him. Several times during our tour, citizens drove or biked by and shouted out greetings.
The Commander's Palace staff greeted us like family. Tree had arranged the luncheon table with fresh flowers and place name cards. My vegetarian preferences were handled professionally, and the chef prepared my meal from his locally grown ingredients. While the other members of our tour enjoyed turtle soup, I was served an amazing watermelon, heirloom tomato gazpacho. The wait staff pampered us with efficient, unobtrusive service and Tree continued to regale us with tales of New Orleans, her foods, drinks, and customs. He told a tender story of his name origins and showed off pictures of his family. When we could eat no more, a tour of the kitchen, wine cellar, and grounds of the restaurant was offered.
So, yes, it is a 5+ hour tour. And, yes, it is more expensive than others. But, you will not find a more entertaining, delightful experience anywhere. I just wish we had the time to take the VooDoo tour. Thank you, Tree. You are truly unforgettable!
Suzi & Joe