“Yum!!!!!”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Yum!!!!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Had two of the nightly specials. First an avocado, red onion, corn nut plate with an incredible vinaigrette. Then a bowl of squash, leek, potato, garbanzo bean soup with a hint of heat and cilantro... Simply heaven!!!! You won't be disappointed!

Houston, Texas
“Unique Food, Friendly Service”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We went last night with a friend whose exhibit opens in a gallery across the street. He is familiar with Brazilian food and vouched for much of the authenticity, including the tasty cheese fritters we had as appetizer. I enjoyed my Carmo salad which was a mix of nuts, cucumbers, pineapple, rice, ham, and cilantro. Our friend had Acarajé, which is "a black-eyed pea fritter stuffed with vatapá (a cashew peanut coconut paste), shrimp and salsa fresca. served with our own special hot sauce". My husband was unenthusiastic about his special, which was a salsa over rice. You order the food at the front counter and they bring it to you.

There are basically 3 dining areas on the ground floor. The bar area, beyond the staircase, and the front area. We were left with the front area, where it was warm from the kitchen and there was a bit of traffic.

All in all, good, unique food and friendly service, at a decent value.

• Visited June 2014
DeLand, Florida
“Amazing Meal, more than Vegetarian”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

So I read the reviews and was in the mood for something other than typical New Orleans fare, it was less than a mile walk from the hotel. The place is not that small but I choose to sit at the counter overlooking the open kitchen. This is a sit down restaurant but you order your meal at the counter and they bring it to you. I met Drew one of the Chefs (maybe the Chef but he referred to another chef during our conversation). He was chopping Cilantro and we had a good conversation on how many people over use Cilantro, something he does not do.
So after perusing the menu I ordered Pao de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread), Mole Coloradito con Pollo (Chick stewed in a rich Oaxacan-style mole sauce served over roasted squash and potatoes. Accompanied by black beans, Spanish rice and a house-made tortilla). The Brazilian Cheese Bread was excellent because of the cheese the bread is very chewy as it should be, Drew informed me it was Gluten-Free as well. Then as I had inquired about the Masa dumplings in the Soup du jour (Sopa Vegetal con Maiz Molido e Chochoyotes) Chef Drew brought me a sample, it was very good the masa had a familiar consistency and the soup was very flavorful.
Now for the Entree:Mole Coloradito con Pollo. The entire plate was delicious, the pulled chicken was good, the mole sauce so great I wish I had asked for more and the vegetables cooked just right. The black beans were amazing and growing up in Miami I have eaten my fair share of black beans and I can honestly say the flavor was out of this world, the rice wasn’t as flavorful on its own but the beans definitely made up for it.
Of course I finished up with dessert: Caribbean Banana Cake – labeled as Banana bread’s rich, yet healthier Cousin. It was Vegan and Excellent! Wish I could have had two slices but I got the last one, next time I order a coffee to savor with this little Jewel!

So if you’re looking for something different this is definitely the place in New Orleans.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank b25pilot
Naples, Florida
“If you need your veggie fix...”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I had a hunkering for good vegetarian food, so whipped open Yelp and based on the reviews I was not disappointed!

It's a small funky place with both indoor and outdoor seating. You walk-n, walk-up, order and sit. They bring you your drinks and food. The service was great and so was the food.

I'm a fan!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank whollows
Vancouver, Canada
“Great when visiting the Ogden Museum After Hours Thursday night”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We made a reservation after reading other reviews and we're very glad we did. It's not a big place but it was very friendly and the food was interesting and looked carefully prepared. The chopped noodles and Brazilian cheese bread had been recommended and they were great choices. It's just a couple of blocks from the really excellent Ogden Museum of Southern Art. They have live music on Thursday evenings when the museum stays open later and serves drinks. Together Carmo's and the museum make a lovely evening.

• Visited April 2014