“NOLA veggie oasis”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
ireland
“NOLA veggie oasis”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

New Orleans may be the divine Venn Diagram intersection of many styles of cuisine, but veggie isn't one of them, so it's great to find a place with more to offer than a veggie burger or pizza.

I heard about this place from the front desk at the Bourbon House, and wandered in on my way back from the chaos of Bourbon St.

Essentially a Caribbean/Latin American menu, there's ample adaptation for vegetarians and again for vegans.

Carmo is almost at the corner of Magazine and Julia, about 50m north of the intersection on the east side (Canal St side). I was welcomed by the friendly staff as soon as I entered and helped to a seat and helped around the menu a few minutes later. Everyone addressed me by name throughout and the food was great.

I mean the food was really great, but it was also stuff I'd never tasted before - I had black eyed pea fritters stuffed with a cashew and coconut paste and salsa. Fabulous flavours, and I rounded off with Chocolate and Zuchini bread.

Friendly place, great food, good value too.

• Visited April 2014

Edinburgh
“So glad we found this place”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I met my family here for lunch after they had visited the nearby World War II museum.
We had one vegetarian, one diabetic, and two fussy eaters in our group of 8, and this restaurant satisfied everyone.
It has a lovely indie/artsy feel to it and the food was very good. Bathrooms are few, so if you're in a larger group, don't all wait until you're ready to leave to do your business!
The service was friendly, including the offer of the waitress (someone who knew her way around a proper camera) to take our group picture.

If you're in the Warehouse District or visiting the WWII museum, this is well worth going to.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Fenedin
“Wonderful chicken salad”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

This was one of the best chicken salads I've ever had.. And for only nine dollars it can't be beat. I will be back soon. no wonder this place was at the top of the charts..

1 Thank Limomike
Ottawa, Canada
“great vegetarian and amazing service!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I ate at Carmo while in New Orleans last August. The service was excellent and the portions were generous. There are many vegetarian options available and the food was really healthy if you are looking to get away from fried Southern food. When I am in New Orleans again, I will definitely visit Carmo !

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank oneleopard
Jacksonville, Florida
“very unique menu all food delicious”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

we loved the international and exotic menu with both vegetarian, vegan, and omnivore dishes for everyone. there is an interesting juice menu from around the world and they use them in their mixed drinks as well. we loved every dish we had.

Visited March 2014