“Unbelieveably Good!”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

One of the best meals I have had in a very long time. I travel frequently and therefore get the opportunity to taste a wide variety of foods from different parts of the world. This restaurant has a great blend of Caribbean tastes. The food is very fresh, well presented, and quite economical. They also serve rather large portions! I had the small Carmo Salad (rice, pineapple, avocado, almonds, cashews, raisins, cucumber, green pepper, smoked ham, and cilantro tossed with citrus mango sauce and served on a bed of organic lettuces....no my memory isn't that good, I took a photo of the menu) and the Rico Sandwich (pulled pork, melted cheese, plantains, and much more...too lazy to write it all). I was rather full, but the food was so good I ordered dessert...forgot the name of the dessert (not listed on the menu I photographed), but it was a very large and thin flat bread with havarti cheese, plantains, and cinnamon.

Very friendly, casual environment....no reservation necessary....really good for anyone. They are also supposedly have vegetarian/vegan friendly. I am definitely returning to this place next time I'm in New Orleans!!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This was my second time at Carmo. First time I went, I had ordered a salad and sandwich. It was oK. I went back again recently and had the Tropical Burmese salad as recommended by the staff. It was great. I will be back again.

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This place is specialized in brazilian vegan cousine, but you can also order some meat and veggie dishes. We shared an Armenian bread, which looked like pizza and was delicious. then i order a veggie rico, i had the bad idea to put tabasco on it, it was the strongest I have ever tasted, but the rico tasted good. I had a tiger beer from Singapore that is rare and i like it. The place was good ,we were lucky they could make room for 12 people. The waiter was good.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I had a special - Vietnamese style ceviche. I'm a few hours from dinner do the ceviche was a perfect choice to hold me over. I've watched a few people come in and not know where to start - sit where you want and order at the counter. The staff is very attentive. The atmosphere is very simple and islandy. You can almost feel a sea breeze. I have several days left and I'm sure ill return before I go.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

He ido varias veces en ocasiones especiales y siempre nos atienden muy bien. Thanks for all the atention. Very good food and also I like smoothies :)