“Great respite from all the greasy New Orleans food”
Review of Carmo

Carmo
Ranked #18 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Brazilian, Caribbean, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a great spot for lunch. Really fresh food which isn't deep fried like most of the New Orleans food. There are a lot of vegetarian options and the prices are really reasonable.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

New Orleans is supposed to be a culinary mecca but when you're vegetarian with a kosher diet oysters, catfish and shrimp, staples of the New Orleans cuisine, it is hard to find a place that will serve a good place. So I was happy that Carmo was recommended as it was the site of the best meal I ever had. If you're vegetarian you must visit. Food is fresh and well prepared. Don't leave without having the Carmo salad. For the non-vegetarian, you'll like it too because this is not a vegetarian restaurant they are simply vegetarian friendly and prepare regular dishes veggie style.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I never thought I'd be able to have a meal like this in NOLA, which is notorious for poorly cooked food (over fried, over seasoned ). The corn Trini soup was a religious experience, and the bean dish was just amazing. Doubt I'll be back to this city any time soon as it's on the absolute top of my list as least favorite cities in the US but if you are in the CBD, arts district or WWII museum area, this is the place to eat. Go comfy as they keep it about 80 degrees in there and order the special of the day. If you're averse to spicy, ask them to make it mild. Amazing value too, the special including dessert was under $10! Highly recommend! Oh, thanks to the bar tender at Muriel's in the Quarter for turning us on to this amazing place! Near the convention center too!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Two famished vegetarians decided to try Brazilian food for the first time in my favorite city, New Orleans. Carmo's ambiance is classy and yet low-key, intimate, and the food is outstanding. We ordered the broken noodle salad, the black bean fritters, and the open-faced (no bread) sandwich called VEGAN RICO. The salad seemed to have something like 25 ingredients in it--it was refreshing with a citric pepper dressing and a meal-in-itself. The other two dishes, as those who gave positive ratings described, as TO DIE FOR. To top it off, the chef brought out a red pepper sauce they make in house...we almost finished the sauce.

My boyfriend and I have a refined palate from years of experimenting with different flavors with our own combined cooking. He has experience with Caribbean /Jamaican cuisine, and I have a family background in Chinese/Hungarian-Jewish flavors...we had never tried Brazilian food, and are so glad we did at CARMO's specifically. Nothing negative to say about the flavors, the hospitality, and the restaurant. They were all very interested in how we were receiving the food, and that we were taken care of. We're leaving tomorrow, but if I could I would go back to Carmo's again and again.

Thank you Carmo for not letting us go hungry in the Big Easy. We'll try to cook at home, inspired by your flavors and love for the food and the eating experience, itself.

2  Thank ShannonWL
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wow! Our family ate here, had a great meal and got great tips on local jazz from one of the owners who really took some time for us. We had three salads, each of which was a solid hit. I'm sure glad we found it.

1  Thank Fishcreekdam