“A Fabulous Find!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
“A Fabulous Find!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wow! Our family ate here, had a great meal and got great tips on local jazz from one of the owners who really took some time for us. We had three salads, each of which was a solid hit. I'm sure glad we found it.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Fishcreekdam

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good and Light”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife and I went for lunch the other day after I saw the high ratings on this site. I am not a vegan/lighter fare type of person but was very happy with our choice to try it. The Brazilian chicken salad had an interesting flavor profile that I enjoyed. The *Asian noodle salad was delicious and my wife could not get enough. We also ordered the veggie*monster which I thought was fine, the bread was very good but otherwise it was so-so. I think my wife enjoyed it more than I did. I also ordered * juice which tasted pretty good on the front end but had almost an ammonia after taste. Overall the atmosphere was laid back, staff friendly, and food good. If lighter fare/salads are your thing, then this restaurant is definitely worth a try.

1 Thank WelltraveledJHawk
Houston, Texas
“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I went here this weekend. We both had the Rico "sandwich". He had meat and I had the vegan Rico. They were so AMAZING! It was seriously one of the best meals I've ever had. The combination of the flavors was so great. I wish I could eat here again sooner. The food takes a while because it's made to order but it's worth the wait!

Loved the atmosphere too. Very quiet and tranquil for a Saturday night!

2 Thank Melody M
Chilton, United Kingdom
“Best vegetarian food in the Big Easy?”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I pose that as a question because we weren't there for long enough to find out, but this place did not disappoint. Disappointed to find that there seems to be no vegetarian take on the local cuisine, Carmo did offer something close - and the rest of the menu is eclectic, fascinating and tasty. I was impressed at how it caters for meat-eaters, vegetarians and vegans, offering variations of most of the items on the menu. Funky environment, friendly service, wholly enjoyable.

2 Thank PeterGroves81
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Being vegan the USA is not an easy place to travel, and after living off mainly fries and veggie burgers or hummus for 2 weeks in other places, this restaurant was the best find. They cater for vegans, veggies and meat eaters. Many of the dishes are simply adapted for vegans, their vegan cheese is the best I have ever had. The food is great and healthy and the salads are very tasty. The staff are really friendly and it has a nice casual laid back feel. We ate there 3 nights during our stay. I think even is you are not veggie you would find this place great.

Visited May 2013