“Funky veg-friendly restaurant in the Arts District”
Review of Carmo

Carmo
Ranked #27 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Brazilian, Caribbean, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

First some facts
* you order at the counter
* you take your silverware and water glasses from the counter to your table
* staff bring your food to your table when it is ready
* there are 3 seating areas -- (1) near the counter (2) in an adjoining storefront that has a garage-type door -- it was open on the evening we were there (3) in a back room area near the restrooms

The food
* special of the day was Moroccan soup and mushroom stew. The soup was good, but the stew was quite bland.
* the Carmo salad was good

staff were friendly and helpful. We'll be back to try other dishes.

4  Thank Shakespeare_fan
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. While I'm glad you enjoyed the Moroccan soup, I'm sorry you found the mushroom stew bland. We make sure to season our soups and stews throughout each stage of the cooking process so that the flavor is just right. I'll be sure to use your feedback to improve going forward. I'm delighted to hear you plan on coming back, and I look forward to your next visit.

Best,

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Great food wine and service. Try the brazilian cheese breads and their home made hot sauce.

Can't go wrong eating here. Staff were friendly and helpful. I'll be back again.

1  Thank Rachel T
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks Rachel! I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly and helpful service. Hope to see you again the next time you're craving our Brazilian cheese breads!

Take care,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Primarily all vegetarian, vegan menu but there are options for meat. A little on the pricey side but the food tastes really good. Try the Esmeralda salad - delicious!

1  Thank KSo75
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks for your review! We offer a wide range of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and meat-based dishes so that everyone can find something delicious to eat. It's nice to know you appreciate it. Hope to see you back again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

On a beautiful Saturday while visiting NOLA I stumbled upon Carmo. If you are looking for fresh local ingredients with a charming atmosphere this is your place. And if the hustle and bustle of the french quarter is taking a toll on you, unwind with a meyer lemon and orange sangria. I look forward to returning to Carmo and seeing what else the wonderful chefs have cooked up.

1  Thank Mick B
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our dinner at Carmo offered a refreshing break from more traditional New Orleans cuisine and restaurant experiences on our recent vacation. The food was healthy and delicious -- I had a salmon salad in which the fish tasted super fresh and expertly seasoned. My daughters enjoyed making their drink selections from the exotic juices menu. The atmosphere was casual and relaxed, and the proprietors were so nice that their goodwill was infectious. The experience left us feeling healthy and in good spirits!

Karen,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear our food left you "feeling healthy and in good spirits." Instead of relying on fried Cajun food, we try to set ourselves apart from standard New Orleans restaurants by serving tropical fare that's both delicious and nutritious. I'm glad you and your daughters enjoyed everything. Hope to see you back again soon!

All the best,