New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Carmo

Carmo
Ranked #24 of 1,873 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Primarily all vegetarian, vegan menu but there are options for meat. A little on the pricey side but the food tastes really good. Try the Esmeralda salad - delicious!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KSo75
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thanks for your review! We offer a wide range of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and meat-based dishes so that everyone can find something delicious to eat. It's nice to know you appreciate it. Hope to see you back again soon!

Take care,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

On a beautiful Saturday while visiting NOLA I stumbled upon Carmo. If you are looking for fresh local ingredients with a charming atmosphere this is your place. And if the hustle and bustle of the french quarter is taking a toll on you, unwind with a meyer lemon and orange sangria. I look forward to returning to Carmo and seeing what else the wonderful chefs have cooked up.

1 Thank Mick B
Kensington, MD
“Feel good restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our dinner at Carmo offered a refreshing break from more traditional New Orleans cuisine and restaurant experiences on our recent vacation. The food was healthy and delicious -- I had a salmon salad in which the fish tasted super fresh and expertly seasoned. My daughters enjoyed making their drink selections from the exotic juices menu. The atmosphere was casual and relaxed, and the proprietors were so nice that their goodwill was infectious. The experience left us feeling healthy and in good spirits!

• Visited December 2012
Karen,

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear our food left you "feeling healthy and in good spirits." Instead of relying on fried Cajun food, we try to set ourselves apart from standard New Orleans restaurants by serving tropical fare that's both delicious and nutritious. I'm glad you and your daughters enjoyed everything. Hope to see you back again soon!

All the best,
Iowa
“Unbelievably good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've written this review three times now, and each time the words fall short. I'm in love with this restaurant. I had a vegan Rico (my friend had the carnivore version), and it was amazing. I also had an Esmerelda salad; can't say enough about it either. So just how good was this place? I was visiting the city of New Orleans, with its hundreds of restaurants, and guess where I went for lunch the very next day? On the 2nd trip, I had a Carmo salad, along with another Rico. I'll be dreaming about this food. Wish I lived a few hundred miles closer. I'll give it 6 out of 5 stars. You gotta try this restaurant, ESPECIALLY if you are vegetarian/vegan. The friend who ordered the pulled pork Rico was equally impressed, so this is a great place for non-veggies as well.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I love that you're in love with Carmo! Considering there are many great restaurants in New Orleans, I'm honored you dined with us twice during your trip. Thanks again for your enthusiastic support, and I hope you get a chance to visit again soon.

All the best,
Memphis, Tennessee
“If I could eat there every day, I would be a vegan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Delicious !! Everything was very fresh and the people that work there are fantastic. Great cocktails as well.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thanks Suzanne! Looking forward to your next meal with us!

Best wishes,