“Healthy and delicious.”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Magazine
Description: Carmo is a New Orleans-based tropical restaurant and bar with a commitment to providing vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike with healthy and affordable dishes in a warm, friendly and casual atmosphere. The menu is built upon the rich, multi-cultural culinary influences found throughout the Caribbean, Central and South America, West Africa, Southeast Asian, Gulf South and beyond and features eclectic and traditional/traditionally-inspired dishes with an emphasis on fresh, local ingredients, as well as unique and little-known flavors from around the world. Exotic fruit such as juice of the cocoa fruit (cacau), cupuacu, graviola (sour sop), caja and caju infuse Carmo's juice and cocktail menu with exciting new flavors.
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I love my cajun and creol food but the tummy can only handle so much. Cafe Carmo has great tasting vegan, gluten free and vegeterian options. We went for dinner and had a great caipirinha along with our delicious meal. Great flavorful food great view of the kitchen from the bar. Friendly and attentive staff. Would go back and take friends next time.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thanks for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your dinner and thought everything tasted delicious. We know there are a lot of fried food options in New Orleans, so we try to offer a fresh and light alternative to traditional Cajun cuisine. Looking forward to your next meal with us!

Best,

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A refreshing relief from all the fried & greasy food found in New Orleans. My boyfriend and I both had the vegan special and it was AMAZING. They also had three dessert options available (all vegan) and we thought we were in heaven. The atmoshphere is cozy and the staff were very friendly. If I lived in NOLA, I would eat here every day!

1  Thank Emily A
Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Hi Emily,

I'm happy to hear that you and your boyfriend thought everything tasted delicious. We know a lot of places serve fried and heavy meat dishes in New Orleans, so we make sure to offer a variety of lighter dishes using fresh and healthy ingredients. Thank you for your review, and I hope you get a chance to visit New Orleans again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I'll admit - I was a fan before I even walked in. This is the first place I have seen where the management responded to all of their reviews. That, combined with the fact that the reviews said that the food was excellent, was enough to warrant a visit. I had the Rico, and MAN was I pleased! I ordered extra Rico sauce, not because it needed it, but because it was delicious and I couldn't get enough of it! Seems pretty healthy, too, which is nice to find in New Orleans. Finally, it wad very filling, making it a great value.This is now on my short list of "must do" lunch spots when I'm in town.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Hi Erik,

Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad that you found the Rico so appetizing. We carefully balance our dishes with the right combination of vegetables and protein so that they're nutritious, filling and delicious. I'm thrilled that you plan on making us one of your regular lunch spots, and I look forward to your next visit.

Take care,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Dined here with my mom on our way through New Orleans.....wonderful Brazillian/tropical menu with lots of variety, including many vegan and gluten free items. There is something for everyone. The prices were great, the food was delicious and the owners are wonderful. They explained everything on the menu and were very friendly. Every bite of our food was outstanding. I will go back again next time I'm in New Orleans.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thanks for your review! It was a pleasure cooking for you. I'm so glad to hear that everything tasted delicious. I hope you had a wonderful time in New Orleans and get the chance to visit us again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We tried the Rico and it was very good. Fresh and healthy which is a challenge in New Orleans. Would eat there again.

Dana H, Owner at Carmo, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thanks so much for your review! It's nice to know that you plan on eating here again. We know there are a lot of places to get fried food in New Orleans, so we make sure to offer a variety of lighter dishes using fresh and organic ingredients. Hope you're able to stop by again soon!