“Superlative”
Review of Sylvain

Sylvain
Reserve with OpenTable
Sylvain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Between Toulouse and St. Peter
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We visited Sylvain for the first time. What a wonderful treat. It is a relatively small cozy place with a great atmosphere. My wife ate the Beef Cheeks and I had the Duck Confit. Both were falling off of the bone delicious while still being moist and juicy. We finished the meal sharing the Chocolate Pot de Creme. Yum. Sylvain is reputed to have a mixologist and the drinks were fabulous. I had my first Sazerac (and second) and I can understand why it is it famous here. Our waiter was extremely attentive providing great service. The restaurant has received great reviews and I can understand why. I could eat every dinner here during our one-week stay in New Orleans. I can't wait until we return.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Sylvain's concept is a winner to me - small, intimate space; great bar with knowledgeable mixologist; and menu small enough not to get boggled, large enough to satisfy various tastes and needs, and inventive without being pretentious. The noise level may preclude romantic murmurings, but we were there for the food, and were not disappointed - everything we ate was absolutely delicious.
There are two reasons I have not given the overall rating as excellent. First, because my chair was constantly bumped by the waiter on his way to and from another table. Unfortunately, it detracted from the overall experience. Two, the lighting was almost too low. This being said: Will we dine at Sylvain again? Without a doubt we will!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Cool - hip place - we had to have the Champagne and Fries as an appetizer. Also they have these homemade pickles that our table actually ordered extra of - they were ridiculously good!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I never would have noticed this place had it not been for a friend who had been here before -- the entrance is through a narrow alley and around a corner. And the first impression wasn't very good -- dimly lit (and it was midday) and mismatched tables and chairs almost on top of each other. But all the tables were full, which was a good sign. After a short wait, my small group took a table on the patio. (I joked that someone with OCD could not eat here, due to the mismatched furniture.) The menu has about a dozen entrees with an eclectic mix of foods: pork shoulder, garlic sausage, duck confit, beef cheeks. There isn't a separate lunch menu, so all prices are dinner-grade. I had a slow-cooked pork sandwich, served with pickled collards and garlic. Delicious! The others in my group really enjoyed their meals as well. Our server was very attentive, too. This is definitely a place for foodies, but if you're looking for upscale atmosphere then you might want to look elsewhere.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Isaiah the bartender is amazing! he not only makes great drinks but is friends with our favorite bartender in Chicago..Imagine that!
We did not eat here but I had the Orange Lazarus and the hubby had a Sazerac. We were recommended to have a drink here by Brian Huff of the Boos and Booze tour.