“Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Audubon Cottages
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Audubon Cottages are just amazing. This place is often referred to as a "private Oasis" in New Orleans....that is putting it mildly. The cottages are are located in the heart of the city, yet you feel like you are in the middle on nowhere. You enter through a keyed private gate right off Dauphine St, and step into pure serenity. The cottages have their own private gated courtyard. The cottages themselves are truly amazing, very spacious, and very well done. Two large bedrooms, with private baths, and a large living room, finely appointed. The history behind this property is equally impressive. I have never stayed in such a quaint place before, and would have a difficult time finding one again. I would not hesitate to stay at the Audubon Cottages again. The price is a bit steep, but it does come with a butler!!! If you have the opportunity to stay here, you should do so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank marky01095

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed in cottage 2. Lovely - looked exactly as shown in photos above. The hotel is one street away from the craziness of Bourbon St, but the minute you go through that door to the courtyard, you're in an oasis. Everything was beautiful upon arrival.

The challenges were as follows:
- since when does a butler not know the local restaurants? She had only one to recommend, ironically the one right across from the related hotel.
- somehow they forgot to clean our room on Sunday. Yes we left later than we had the day before (10:30 vs. 9:30) but really? The garbage was collecting on the sitting room sink - yes, we went through a lot of water, pop (which is included) and a few collectable cups from the bars, but why would those not be removed? We had to actually ask for the service lady to take them. Also why wouldn't she think to replace the shampoo every day and get us another bar of soap?
- breakfast was beautifully presented but pretty cheap, given the quality of the hotel and price of rooms. That said, the coffee and orange juice were excellent. Took a while to receive if you hadn't asked night before...
- wildlife - we had a nice little visit from a rat in our courtyard. Now I realize that New Orleans generally has a rodent and bug problem. While the staff handled the incident very well, I am wondering if the fact that everyone is eating in their courtyard and the clean up takes forever is a factor in rodent visits?

Bottom line: I would stay here again. It's beautiful. The courtyards are charming. The pool is nice. The rooms are comfortable and the amenities are good. But, for a hotel of this price, I expected better service - Holiday Inn at the Ritz...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Vandrbest
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a spectacular place to stay in New Orleans! The cottage we stayed in (No.1 - the two bedroom) is a gorgeous space with a large, comfortable living room and two beautiful bedrooms with private baths. The cottage has a private courtyard with a saltwater swimming pool that is well maintained. During our weekend stay, it seemed like we had the pool all to ourselves. The staff is courteous and our butler made sure everything was to our liking several times each day. The most amazing thing, however, is the location -- right off of Bourbon in the heart of the French Quarter. You would think that being right in the middle of that craziness would be loud, but we slept very soundly. All in all, a perfect stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sftraveler12304564
Silverhill, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've always wondered about the cottages and courtyards of the French Quarter. To step through the green gate at 509 Dauphine was incredible. I was greeted by the French Quarter Butler, Amanda, who showed me to my cottage. The building had a private courtyard lined by a brick wall and plants. Even though Bourbon Street is only a block away, the most noticeable sound was the water splashing in the fountain. The room was amazing. It had an antique appearance without the run-down or stale museum feel you find in many older buildings. The refrigerator and coffee machine were tucked away in an old armoire in the parlor. The beds were very comfortable. I was in Cottage 3 and I understand why they said it was Elizabeth Taylor's favorite. The whole place was beautiful and the staff was great. The only problem might have been that you've got the whole French Quarter right outside the door and you don't want to leave.

Room Tip: My cottage was on the street side, but I didn't have any problems with noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Guy B
Barnegat, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went online and looked at all the pictures of the cottages before getting to them and saw some absolutely beautiful images and expected that maybe the pics weren't going to live up to what I was expecting but once I walked into the cottages I was completely WOWed! My butler met me at the gate and helped me to my cottage and made sure I was settled in nicely. The cottages {I was able to see several because it was a group trip} all have their own charm and character, each is decorated with a rustic charm. The bathrooms were my fav- black marble like tiles all over and just so sleek and spa like. Even though you are so close to Bourbon St. you walk into the cottages and it's tranquil and quiet. I had a semi private courtyard which was gorgeous and well maintained as the whole property was. The pool was warm and perfect for lounging around. Breakfast was fabulous, it was set up for my friends and I as if we were at home. Fresh fruits, muffins and juice and coffee as well as cereal and yogurts. The entire stay was seamless and pleasant.

Room Tip: I stayed in cottage 5 and there are 2 rooms there.. I couldn't hear my roomate at all!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Clarissa N
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were there four two nights and were I. Cottage 7. It was perfect I every way. Beautiful and comfortable room, great linen, minibar. Loved breakfasting. The courtyard. The pool was perfect. Just wanted to hang out there. It was the perfect place fora New Orleans summer trip. It's pricey but way more reasonable during the summer.

Room Tip: Read the reviews to pick your cottage. Summer prices are very reasonable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank annafreud
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Cottages are truly an oasis in the middle ( not quite the middle) of the French Quarter. The pictures on the website are quite accurate. The courtyard is lovely with the saltwater swimming pool, private entrance and tropical foliage. I stayed in Cottage #6 which shares a patio with the cottage beside it. Right outside my door is a huge banana tree with a bunch of bananas hanging from the branches. The room is small but well appointed. Service is very good - happy, helpful staff. If you are interested in staying the FQ but would like some quite time and some privacy, this is the place for you. As a solo female traveller I have to say that I felt completely safe.

Room Tip: Note that cottage 6 is connected to another room (not another cottage). You can hear staff through...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo