“Anniversary Stay at the Cottages - With a two day agenda. :-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Audubon Cottages

Audubon Cottages
Tejas
“Anniversary Stay at the Cottages - With a two day agenda. :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here a couple of nights for our 31st anniversary trip. We are 49, active, travel at least a few times a year. We party in moderation (almost always home by midnight) and like spending time together, and love good food.

This is a pretty quick review of the property and I would highly recommend it.

I chose this property based on some of the reviews I read, and wanted the experience to be a little different and bit more special than a standard high end room. I have stayed in New Orleans a number of times over the last few years including properties like The Monteleone, The International House, various Hilton properties, and few other properties over the years. I can honestly say this was one of the best properties I have stayed in recently anywhere.

I had originally called reservations to ask about the Hermann House, but after talking to the reservation lady, who was exceptionally helpful and nice, I decided to book Cottage 7 which is a one room cottage with a shared courtyard. The cottages offer a "French Quarter Butler", which I am not 100% certain all of the things they can do for you but, I received an email a couple of days before our trip from "Jeffery" asking if there is anything they could help arrange and what time they should expect us. I responded that I had already taken care of our arrangements, and we should be there around 4pm.

So..... We arrive to checkin at the Hotel Dauphine and checked our car in with the valet. Parking is expensive at $30 a night, but that seems to be the cost everywhere around that area. We were greeted by a very friendly hotel staff and check in was very quick. We were assigned Cottage 3 instead of Cottage 7, which is a two room cottage with a private courtyard. We were pointed the way to the cottages and given directions as the concierge was escorting another couple to their cottage which is a couple of blocks down the road. On our way the concierge found us and escorted us the rest of the way to our cottage.

The Cottages share a locked entrance where when you enter, you walk into a walk way with the pool area right in front of you. Cottage 3 was the first cottage on the right down the walkway. You open a wooden privacy gate, which enters into the private laid brick courtyard. The courtyard is pretty large and has only a fountain on the wall in front of the front door and an umbrella table with 4 chairs.

We were greeted with a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us which was a very nice surprise. The Cottage itself had a lot of charm and was decorated very well with what I would call Antique New Orleans, I am sure there is a name for the decor, but I don't know what it is.... To give an example, the coffee maker was a Keurig (With an assortment of coffee) inside an antique Armoire. There was also waters, and an assortment of sodas in a two drawer Sub-Z (Nice).

The living room was nice with a dining table with 4 chairs, a desk, a couch and two chairs. There was a Flat Screen on the wall over the desk. I wouldn't really call it comfortable for lounging and watching TV, but it was decorated very nice. We used the table for the continental breakfasts they served in the morning.

The bedroom was very nice, very quiet, with a very comfortable bed. I think I read the mattresses were tempurpedic, but I am pretty sure it was not (We have one and it was nothing like ours). Still it was comfortable, and they use very high end linens including the towels in the bathrooms (All thick, white, and warm).

Breakfast was delivered and setup outside in the courtyard at the requested time. It was and assortment of cereals, pastries, yogurts, and fruits with an air pot of Community Coffee (Which is excellent!). There was nothing hot, but it was nice. My only complaint is that it was setup outside and the temperature was in the 30's. We just went out and grabbed it and brought it back into our room. We did the same thing the second day.

Not everything was perfect, but it was close.

Breakfast was delivered an hour early on the second day. There wasn't anything hot, so it may have been intentional as everything would keep fine.

The bathroom does not have a tub and the water seeps out of the walk in shower onto the main bathroom floor. Not really a big deal.

One of the rooms had a painted portrait (Think Napoleon) looking right at the bed (little creepy for me). We slept in the other room. :-)

No room safe either.

This was only a part of a trip I planned for our anniversary.

We went to Delmonico's our first evening, and then had a couple of drinks at Fat Catz on Bourbon St. which has a great band. We called it an early evening and headed back to the room. The room did have an iPhone dock for romantic music.

The following day after our breakfast we went to the World War 2 museum which Is really becoming a huge attraction with multiple new buildings and a 4d movie narrated by Tom Hanks.

We had lunch a Luke's (Incredible as always) and then went to get ready for the Greyline Haunted walking tour around the quarter (I wouldn't recommend). We then called it an early evening and skipped our plan to go to the casino.

We left for home the next day after our breakfast and a quick run to Central grocery to get a muffaletta (Yummmm) to take home, which I would also highly recommend!!!

All in all a great place to stay, with a great staff and we will be back.

Hope this helps someone....

Best regards,

-Todd-

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank harcourt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here while at conference in New Orleans and was bowled over by the quality of the service and the beauty of the cottages. Roderick and Jeffery, the butlers were courteous, attentive (but not too much so), and just a pleasure. The cottage itself was just amazingly beautiful--big comfy bed, fabulous, cozy yet stylish decor steeped in New Orleans history. It just doesn't get much better than these cottages.

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Christen T
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

New York, NY
They have done a great job renovating this property. Myself and my husband went for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. Central location just off the French Quarter makes it easy to access everything. We had a room for tow, king bed. Room was beautiful, little shared courtyard outside the door where breakfast was left every morning. the room had everything that you need. The property has a lovely heated pool in the center and some lounge chairs around it. Nice and private and quiet (you can hear some noise at night from the street but nothing notable)
Roderick Bernal is the Frenh Quarter butler and he is clearly doing a great job managing the property. kindly introduced himself, opened some cava for us while we lounged by the pool on our last afternoon and arranged our taxi which was right on time. Highly recommend the Audubon Cottages for a calm, private, relaxing, romantic stay and a welcome break from the sightseeing the food trips that we took each day :)

Room Tip: Room #4 - highly recommend that room. its off the street, shared courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank freckled
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My recent trip to New Orleans would not have been as magical were it not for the accommodations at Audubon Cottages. It was a quiet oasis in middle of all the action NO has to offer - quiet retreat only steps from the party. The service was impeccable and the staff was kind and generous. Breakfast in the courtyard was a heavenly way to start every day. Thank you for an amazing stay.

1 Thank Craig P
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My cultural organization recently hosted an out-of-town VIP at the Cottages - with an interest to develop long-term relationships between our efforts and those of other organizations in other cities. The Cottages help us demonstrate the depth and breadth of the New Orleans experience, where vibrant grassroots culture intersects with relaxed and easy elegance. We found that with every aspect of their accommodations, amenities, and service, the Cottages achieve that relaxed and easy elegance, and embody the phrase "genuinely gracious hospitality". Well deserved hat tip - the Cottages are absolutely top shelf.
Damon R.

Room Tip: Every cottage has its own charms, and the private courtyards are ideal settings for relaxed casual c...
2 Thank Damon R
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Audubon Cottages have the Old World Charm of the French Quarter and all the amenities you expect with luxury accommodations. This is the perfect place to escape and relax and forget about the world outside. I had a great time visiting and I can't wait to show it to our clients looking for that "special place to stay".

Jan Allen, CMP
Sales and Marketing Director
New Orleans Convention Company Inc.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are good.
3 Thank Jan A
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The setting alone offers all the magic a guest could ask for. Lush tropical gardens, exquisitely decorated suites each with their own private courtyard, serve as veritable sanctuaries, just 2 blocks from Bourbon Street.

Another plush perk of this property included a personal butler, "Roderick Bernal" who oversaw every detail during our stay...his Endless Privileges philosophy made our stay in this luxurious hideaway a memorable experience to cherish.

It's the ideal location for a destination wedding or just a romantic getaway for the weekend.

We are looking forward to a return trip soon!

Christine Breaux