“Great break”

The Ruby Slipper Cafe
Ranked #49 of 2,045 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: A neighborhood cafe specializing in Breakfast, Lunch & Brunch. Breakfast served all day, every day! Conveniently located in the Central Business District, one block from the Canal Streetcar line, and just steps to the French Quarter and Warehouse District.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Discovered this lovely cafe while waiting for our hotel room and had breakfast. We were seated within about 10 minutes, experienced good service and both thought our meals were lovely. Although the service was a little slower than we have previously experienced in the US, it was more "our" pace (being Australian) and we didn't feel rushed or harassed despite there being a number of dinners waiting for tables. My Florentine omelette included fresh mozzarella which was a lovely surprise given American's propencity for "plastic" cheese (noting that I am making a sweeping generalisation here - sorry to all of my American brother and sister foodies out there). Although I don't have a burning desire to return, it was a good experience and I would happily return.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,853)

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We loved the ruby slipper!

Great food, great environment and great times!

Don't miss this one during your next trip to New Orleans!

Jim

1  Thank jimingersoll
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We saw the lines each morning since we were staying across the street at the Sheraton so checked the Ruby Slipper out on TA and decided to go for breakfast our last day in NOLA. We got there early enough that there was only about a 10 min wait. The place is funky with a cool vibe. My hubby got the stuffed French toast and I had the Eggs Blackstone (the NOLA version of Eggs Benedict) and a couple of fresh squeeze OJs. The OJs were great - note: the large comes in a pint glass - you get LOTS of OJ. Our food came out pretty quickly so I was surprised that my eggs were only lukewarm. There also wasn't a lot of flavor to the dish, although it had bacon, a tomato slice on a buttermilk biscuit with Hollandaise. Everything just sort of melted together (and not in a good way). I should have gone with the stuffed French toast since I stole a bite of hubby's and it was yummy.

I noticed the table next to us was a young family and the mom and dad had Mimosa's - however when we got our bill, the Mimosa's where on OUR bill! We pointed that out to our server and he removed them - from his comments I'm assuming they were coming out of his pay.

Don't go here if you want a quiet, relaxing meal - there is a lot of energy and noise, but it's needed to turn the tables quickly and keep the wait to a reasonable time.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had breakfast. The food was just average, but how many ways can you dress up eggs. The pancakes were ok. The decor was average. The service was slow and I am not sure if it is policy, but when the waitress brought my change, she only brought the bills and no coins. Hmmmm.
We are not going back.

1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in for brunch/breakfast around 1PM. I ordered the Spanish omelet. It was roo much egg and not enough meat but it was still ok.

The wait time was 30 min but we got seated in 15. Its a very fast paced restaurant and I am interested in trying out other things on the menu.

Staff was friendly