“the Rum house”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Garden District
“the Rum house”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

very delicious and novel restaurant using a mixture of different flavors..Was very crowded and that is usually a good sign that its delicious food and it wasI I had lamb tacos with red curry and Creole tacos.You wont be disappointed.

“Awesome!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm picky and this restaraunt rocked my socks off! Beautiful outdoor dining! Great service! My husband and I ordered salads and they were soooo yummy! Highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013
“It's the sauce (and the drinks!)...”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Went here for switch of scenery. Had heard that they were good, so we're always up for anything that's good.

Parking could be problematic since that section of Magazine Street has plenty of shops and other restaurants. There are several one way only streets, so be careful...plenty of pedestrians out there who assume you can see them.

Anyway, we got there and our friends had already ordered chips and salsa. I don't know if there was an option for mild or hot, but it was definitely hot. We ordered the avocado mango guacamole and it went very quickly.

No one ordered entrees, we did the taco combos that came with sides. Wife had one brisket taco and a creole rib. Her sides were the jalapeño slaw and the palenta. I tried the rib taco and really liked the tanginess of the sauce.

Youngest son had the fish sticks kids meal. He ate all the sticks and maybe two fries. I think he had overindulged on the chips and salsa, because the fries tasted fine to me.

I ordered a Calypso steak and a fried oyster taco. I was surprised that, although the meat was very tender and juicy, I had trouble biting through it completely with my teeth on my first try, so in those first two bites, I got a couple strips of steak per bite. Since it was very delicious, I didnt mind. The oyster taco's remoulade/pickled onion sauce was quite good. The oyster itself was not the star in my opinion. In fact, my wife agreed: the meats took a supportive role to their respective, complementing, sauces.

My sides were black bean chorizo soup and the mango coconut rice. Not too keen on the rice...I guess the sweetness really threw me off there (duh...Caribbean restaurant, not Mexican) but the black beans were really good. Next time I'll get the palenta since it looked just like corn grits, of which I'm a big fan (especially at Zea's).

Normally drink margaritas whenever in a Latin American restaurant, but this time I went with a few Sol beers. Wife got a chocolatey -whipped -cream- topped drink that looked more like dessert than an alcoholic beverage--wish I remembered the name but when you read the drink menu you'll see it; if you like chocolate, get it. You won't be disappointed.

Although the tacos are on the small side, they dont skimp on the meat and the sides are fairly portioned. Aided by the fact that we'd eaten pizza at a birthday party about 3 hrs earlier, we didn't have room for dessert.

Give yourself a few minutes before ordering so you can see other peoples food come out...some of the salads sure looked good. As for service, the waitress was very attentive, even though she was also servicing a rather large graduation party and at least one other table.

Definitely will visit again. Since it is a very casual place with very reasonable prices, this would work nicely before going to, or after having indulged in, the great many shops that Magazine St. has to offer.

• Visited May 2013
“Wonderful variety of tasty foods and drinks”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

During our recent visit to Magazine Street in New Orleans, we came upon this restaurant. It was filled with locals, which we consider a good sign. We were so pleased with our food and drinks. What a wonderful selection of items. The unique tacos were great. Service was really good. Loved the Kelly's Key Lime drink. Such a nice place for lunch.

• Visited May 2013
“Excellent food and drink. Tacos tacos tacos with a side of spivey Bloody Mary!!!!!'”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Absolute best tacos anywhere in the world!! I have been everywhere in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba & Spain.