“Great Food, Slow Service”
Review of Red Gravy

Red Gravy
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Gravy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #189 of 1,989 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Canal
Transit: St. Charles Streetcar 2 blocks. Canal St Streetcar on Corner. Riverfront Streetcar 3 blocks
Description: Bright and cheereful spot at the edge of the CBD, just across from the French Quarter. Red Gravy is a dedicated Farm to Table restaurant, sourcing most of our ingredients from local farmers, fishers and bakers. Currently listed as the #1 Brunch spot in New Orleans by OpenTable! Our brunch menu is comprised of traditional breakfast items, traditional Italian specialties like our handmade pasta and famous homemade meatballs, typical northern New Jersey/New York dishes and local, New Orleans favorites. Full service bar, cappuccino and espresso available. Come and eat, I always make too much!
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We arrived at Red Gravy at about 10 am on Sept 8. We had eaten here before (before they offered table service) so we knew that the food was good and were anxious to see the changes. When we got to the host, he told us that for our party of 4 it would be a 30 to 45 minute wait. There were many other parties waiting outside (there is no indoor waiting room - keep this in mind on a hot or rainy day) so we decided to wait. We waited about 50 minutes and noticed that parties that came after us began to get seated. So I went to the host (along with 2 other disgruntled parties) to see where our place was in line. When I looked around the restaurant, there were several empty tables. The host was able to seat us at one of them. After that, it was just more waiting. The waitress was extremely slow. However, the food was really really good and there is a lot of it. I ordered The Uptown and the meatball and red gravy were just as amazing as I'd remembered them to be. My husband ordered the chicken and waffles and they were delicious as well. I was just very disappointed in the service. I do realize that they just converted to table service a little over a month ago so there is probably fine tuning that needs to be done. And it was the Saints first home game of the season so they were busier than usual. I just hope that they are able to make some adjustments so that the service is just as good as the food.

VeraBlue, Owner at Red Gravy, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for coming in to see us again and thank you for taking time to review us. I read every review and always use them as teaching/learning experiences. We've had table service for well over 18 months. What is new is all our handmade furniture. That, however, wouldn't be a reason for slow service.
Indeed, the 8th was the Saint's first home game and the early part of the day was swamped. We take reservations for parties of two or more. Many people confuse reserved tables with forgotten guests. Our hostess was extremely delayed on game day, arriving close to noon. As a result, the servers were doing their best to handle her responsibilities in addition to handling their own table responsibilities.
I've addressed the reasons for your unpleasant experience and offer my sincerest apology for the delay. I'd like to say I'm insisting the hostess sleep in the restaurant the night before game days, but I don't think I could legally pull that off. I am sorry you experienced a delay and do thank you for coming back.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This restaurant is just outside the French Quarter off Canal where Chartres becomes Camp St. Not a pretty street but the restaurant itself is lovely and nicely decorated. I actually became intrigued by the Jersey Girl's story on her website and decided to check it out having been disappointed by many of the French Quarter breakfast joints.

It takes a little time to prepare certain dishes like my "chicken and waffles" but that is because it is made from scratch when you order. The waffles were light and fluffy Belgian style and the (free range) fried chicken was soooo tasty. My wife had a lovely omelet also perfectly prepared. The (Kiwi) waitress was very attentive and conversant.

I would love to try another meal here if we had more time in NOLA. Next trip for sure.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

This place serves authentic Italian dishes. Couldn't see in the kitchen, but I'm betting someone's Italian grandmother is at the stove. Haven't tried dinner yet, but the lunch specials are awesome!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Waited 45 minutes for a table after they lost my name twice. No apology. Then waited almost an hour for breakfast! They are just a mess! Food was just okay. Not worth the effort

2  Thank Ralph B
VeraBlue, Owner at Red Gravy, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

I'm so sorry for your experience. We're actually not a terrible mess at all. Sunday was the first Saint's home game, as you know. Unfortunately, our hostess was extremely delayed, leaving the waitstaff to handle her responsibilities in addition to their own. I'm not aware of any meals taking over long, let alone an hour to leave the kitchen, and generally, that would have been brought to my attention. I do wish you had asked for me, I surely would have been able to assist you to your satisfaction.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Back of the Sheraton 500 Canal, this small place has an excellent sandwich menu. Sits about 40. I am a tea drinker, the only problem I had, the server was not quick enough to serve me iced tea, only 2 servings. There were only 12 folks eating at 2:00 p.m. on August 29th.